Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18

Additionally, I found this excellent video showing what it is like to fly a real Beech 18. I was delighted to find that, as I watched it, everything that was mentioned and shown only confirmed how accurate the flight model is for the Microsoft/Carenado Beech 18 - the required nose-up takeoff trim setting (about 3-5 degrees nose up), the takeoff/climb/cruise power settings and operating airspeeds, the incredible responsiveness in roll/light touch on the ailerons, the absolute lack of rudder authority when the tail isn't flying, and the mentioning of how challenging it is to control/master in a crosswind.

For anyone who may be interested, I've released some tweaked versions of the three stock bare metal liveries, which adds a fresh polishing to the bare metal, as well as more properly defining the silver-painted sections (ailerons, flaps, rudders, elevator). Additionally, it appears that the developer mistakenly left the vent scoops atop the fuselage on these without proper textures, and while correcting that, I decided on the "black top" and "white top" versions that I would paint them to match as well (which I think looks much better than leaving them bare metal as before). On the "black top" version, I've also darkened the black on top to match the stripes (which aren't the same value in the stock textures).

https://flightsim.to/file/35958/beec...resh-polishing

Nice, I especially like the red and white livery, reminds me of the old RCAF Expeditors.

Please note that these aren't new repaints, but are textures that replace the three stock bare metal liveries within the sim - which don't actually overwrite or replace the files, since it is packaged to just be placed into your community folder as a separate install (just as easy to uninstall, if you don't like the changes).

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Please note that these aren't new repaints, but are textures that replace the three stock bare metal liveries within the sim - which don't actually overwrite or replace the files, since it is packaged to just be placed into your community folder as a separate install (just as easy to uninstall, if you don't like the changes).
    Beautiful! I love old polished aluminum. Heck, I like NEW polished aluminum!

Icon14

Thank you very much John! That's a wonderful improvement Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applause.gif 
Views:	295 
Size:	607 Bytes 
ID:	87772

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

here's the last of the three Swiss Beeches
    jk5178 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5181 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Nice! Digging the blue. Is it just me or do some aircraft just take to painting more than others?

For anyone who may be interested, I've released some tweaked versions of the three stock bare metal liveries, which adds a fresh polishing to the bare metal, as well as more properly defining the silver-painted sections (ailerons, flaps, rudders, elevator). Additionally, it appears that the developer mistakenly left the vent scoops atop the fuselage on these without proper textures, and while correcting that, I decided on the "black top" and "white top" versions that I would paint them to match as well (which I think looks much better than leaving them bare metal as before). On the "black top" version, I've also darkened the black on top to match the stripes (which aren't the same value in the stock textures).

https://flightsim.to/file/35958/beec...resh-polishing

Stunning John!

Thank you, Collen!

Here is another repaint of mine which is now available. It depicts the restored C-45H Expeditor N9550Z, which is based in the Czech Republic. This aircraft was originally manufactured during World War Two as an AT-11 Kansan for the US Army Air Force, with USAAF Serial No. 41-27425 - therefore it was originally fitted with a top turret, bomb bay, and bomb sight installed within a glass nose for use in bombing & gunnery training. In the early 1950s, after having been pulled out of post-war storage, it was one of hundreds of AT-11s that were sent back to Beechcraft and remanufactured as a purely transport variant, designated as a C-45H Expeditor, and given the USAF Serial No. 52-10656. In the 1990s it was restored in the color scheme of the USAF Military Air Transport Service (MATS) and was initially named "Elaine", but this was changed to "The Redhead" following its sale to Paul Stockman of Denton, North Carolina in 1999. In 2010, the C-45 was reportedly sold a new owner in Denmark, though the aircraft has since been based in the Czech Republic at the Letiste Mnichovo Hradiste Airport in Hoskovice, Central Bohemia. It has been able to remain on the US register through being registered to the Texas-based owner trustee named Aircraft Guaranty.

https://flightsim.to/file/36031/beec...redhead-n9550z

Work in progress: Beech Baby

jk5194 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5198 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5208 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

And the uploaded version:
    jk5277 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5276 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5274 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5278 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5284 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    And the uploaded version:
    jk5277 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5276 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5274 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5278 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5284 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Another beauty, both literally and figuratively! Thanks JK.

After having made my last repaint, "The Redhead", in larger 8K resolution, I decided to also remake my repaint of N12718 in 8K resolution as well. While doing so, I've also made a few adjustments/refinements. I have now updated the repaint on Flightsim.to, and when you download it you have the option of installing either the (stock) 4K resolution textures, or the higher resolution 8K textures (both versions feature the new refinements). https://flightsim.to/file/35757/beec...o-39750-n12718

WARNING: Do not, under any circumstances, never ever, open the cockpit side window while the aircraft is in flight. The aircraft will be over-stressed and your flight will end. Ask me how I know. So then I went in search of the manual to see if any light could be shed on this. Of course I didn't read the manual before takeoff, what fun would that be? That's when I discovered that there is no manual included. Interesting. But the real manual includes, as part of the pre-takeoff checklist, "doors and windows closed". That makes sense, but there is no dire warning about leaving the windows open. Some airplanes, like the P-38, do warn about not rolling down the side window in flight, as it will cause tail buffet. Is this true of the 18 as well?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Just for that sort of reason, I always have airframe stress damage and crashes turned off - an open window isn't going to "overstress" anything but maybe the window itself, and in reality, with the Beech 18, that isn't the case either. (Also, with crashes turned off, if you do happen to crash it is a lot more fun/entertaining, as you can actuallu watch the aircraft tumble and cartwheel, end up upside down, nose down into the weeds, etc., rather than just going to a black screen - and using slew, you can reset the aircraft and start again, rather than having to go back through the main menu.)

Those windows on the Beech 18, especially the front quarter window on the pilot's side, were meant to be able to be opened in flight so that you could defog the windows and wipe down the front of the pilot-side windshield, while in flight, if need be.

There are plenty of photos and video on the web of Beech 18s flying with the windows slid open. Just a few examples here:

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/beech_t7_kp.jpg
    https://c8.alamy.com/comp/J018XM/aer...off-J018XM.jpg
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/130687...6/51432247610/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/egcb_egcc/42331775502/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsnFUzV1jUs (a whole flight filmed with the side window slid open)

It is great to see it coming along, and it really looks excellent, Paul! I've been looking forward to flying it in those colors of the Younkin family's plane.

It is great to see it coming along, and it really looks excellent, Paul! I've been looking forward to flying it in those colors of the Younkin family's plane.
    Thanks and there was a mention of that third scoop texture ? I have been looking for that..

Hi Paul, yes it is located here (where the red circle is). The other, similar-looking scoop on this texture sheet covers both of the other two scoops on top of the fuselage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scoop.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Workin' on it

hum baby that's nice! I'm always looking out for a new TDR paint...it needs to be said I suppose that as good as the planes looked in FSX, they just look a thousand times better in MSFS
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    hum baby that's nice! I'm always looking out for a new TDR paint...it needs to be said I suppose that as good as the planes looked in FSX, they just look a thousand times better in MSFS
    MSFS allows for the paint to have paint shine and metal to have metal shine, the two glossies are different as in real life as are the reflections.

Hi Paul, yes it is located here (where the red circle is). The other, similar-looking scoop on this texture sheet covers both of the other two scoops on top of the fuselage.
    Thanks, saved me a couple hours

Members who have read this thread: 2