KPXE Perry-Houston County Georgia

Thread: KPXE Perry-Houston County Georgia

KPXE Perry-Houston County Georgia

Well, this morning I was provided with all the information I was waiting for and am underway beginning the airport. While I was waiting I created the photoreal background and laid out the runway, taxiways and the aprons as well as vehicle roads. It is a really interesting airport. Even if it were done before, which to my knowledge it has not been, the terminal was just opened up the 1st of June this year and construction completed. The taxiways have also been redone so nothing done before especially FSX or P3D default KPXE airport is inaccurate. I am being furnished new layouts to create this. So my KPXE will incorporate all the latest updates. I am going to halt on this until I get that layout and restart it from scratch then.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; June 9th, 2022 at 08:17.

Another good one! A friend of mine lives right near there and I drive right by the airport when going to visit.

Progress So Far

The PXE GA Hanger is complete. Started working on the terminal from the architect's drawings I was provided. Placement is waiting on the new aerial photograph which will also be converted into a photoreal bgl. This will be an up to date version of the airport including the labels for the new taxiways. I will try and create for the first time a new Jeppsen style of airport chart for KPXE and new ILS and RNAV charts if they are any different than before. So much to do and so little time...LOL!

Next the terminal

Work is progressing slowly on the terminal. First I had to teach myself how to use MAJ rbz's but once I learned they are really cool. I am building it on the architectural drawing and it's looking good IMHO. I am still waiting for the new aerial views of the airport. It's really fun learning new things for me. I think you will be really pleased when its done, I know I will.

Progress Report

Here are screenshots that I just took out at the airport from the apron. I still have a little tweaking to do to the terminal. Also need to fix flickering of the PXE images. Tried to do it yesterday as I have done in the past but its being stubborn. I have a thought to try again but here are the shots. It was A LOT OF WORK. All of the interior walls are in the terminal according to the plans. The terminal and the Corporate Hanger have night textures. I am still getting over 20 fps on the airport with my default Cessna.

Wow Richard, that terminal looks great as does the hangar. Can't wait to see the finished results.

One question though. You stated that you had to had to teach yourself how to use something called "MAJ rbz's." What exactly is that?

Maj rbz

Thank you for the compliment. Majid Mahmoudi has graciously created free extensions for Sketchup: Rail, stairs, walls, windows, doors, and a few more. They simplify creating these different things in Sketchup rather than using the standard Sketchup tools like circles, rectangles etc. I used the Maj Wall and Maj Window to create the terminal and I used One-click Hanger as a basis much modified for authenticity for the Corporate Hanger following the architectural drawings for both. The terminal has not only external but internal walls and doors as well as the floor coverings. They both have night textures also.

You won't believe it

I got an e-mail this morning early from the architects who have provided me with the drawings for the new terminal and corporate hanger in the screenshots above. After a nice compliment, I was instructed that the corporate hanger had a few discrepancies that I needed to fix. Here is a new screenshot of the corrected hanger with no overhang on the roof and proper size downspouts which I had oversize. I was worried that I would have a problem correcting the roof because the whole building is "a group" meaning it's all one piece but I was able to edit it with satisfactory results with a lot of Divine Guidance. Now that I've done that, I will get on with the rest of the hangers that need to be built and placed.

The Old FBO

I found out last night that the Old Terminal/FBO has not been demolished, but re-purposed and sold to Perry Air Flight School so today collecting all the photos I could and a few questions answered by the airport for me, I am just about finished with it. They have a very unique rear walkway to the apron. Here is a photo of it. It was a real challenge to do in Sketchup. I could not do it AS a runway in ADEx which would have been a lot easier because it would have shown as an actual runway. Here is one of the photos I found. Now I've got the picnic tables from other airports, but where do I find those nice wicker lawn chairs?

Moving Along

Here are screenshots in FSX(A) of what I have completed so far:
    New FBO/Terminal; Corporate Hanger;Open-air hangers and New Perry Air flight School in the old FBO.

Great work as always - wish I had the patience to learn Sketchup that well -

Thank You

Thanks, it only took me 5 years to get to here with a lot of help from a lot of very patient tutors here and a lot of utube videos made by great people who share what they learned. I always appreciated your input on anything I was doing NAS or "tailhook equipped"

The latest update

The old FBO; new FBO and Corporte PXE Hanger are all complete and checked out to be ok. If you look at the photo above of the open hanger, I have raised the aircraft in the middle so the wheels are not sunk into the asphalt as happens sometimes for who knows why. I gave them a 3: elevation in altitude in ADEx to correct that. There are five hangers already on the airport that I did waiting for the drawings from the architect for the new FBO and PXE Hanger. The taxiways are all correct now as are the aprons from the latest aerial photo I was furnished with them labeled on the photo. I had to adjust the 2019 Google Earth because the aerial photo I was furnished was slightly on a angle so not usable for a photoreal background unfortunately but I did my best to make it accurate to 2022. It is a really interesting airport and has been a challenge but a lot of fun so far and I anticipate it will continue to be until its completion sometime next week.

New Update

Yesterday from morning to bedtime, I created the AGAirUpdate Magazine HQ at KPXE which is really a cool building I think. My only disappiointment is the lattice work I created on the overhang details were lost when it was converted in MDCx and I am not knowledgable enough in either Sketchup of Model Converter X to know why so it is what it is. Otherwise the siding is beautiful and it has gutters and downspouts as well as the gas and electric meters. Here are two photos:

Looking good, nice work.

Another Hanger

I finished constructing and placing another hanger at KPXE and its in FSX. I may have a chance to take a few shots later this evening. I think it came out really well and taught me more about Sketchup. There are gutters, downspouts, self-made bifold door and downloaded garage doors from the 3D Warethouse thanks to others fine work. I was able to get photos of the apron side of the three hangers that are NOT shown on Google Earth, only overhead views. The street views are 2012. C'mon Google Earth...10 years old? Google Map is using the same 10 year old street views. What kinda help is that. The other is from 2019 which is at least a lot closer to 2022. One of the buildings that is on the 2019 view is not even there in 2012. I spoke with the owner yesterday on the telephone who is going to provide photos for me of the 4 elevations of the building.

Take some more shots tomorrow

I am going to fly in and out of KPXE tomorrow and show off the new hanger after the landscaping is done before it gets too hot. 95 today and humidity is not much less making it quite miserable. Car is probably 120 when I get in it before the air starts cooling it off. Gotta open the windows when I take off to breathe. I love the 40s and 50s of winter here but NOT the summer heat. Winters IMHO are the best time here and with no snow to shovel or drive in.

Some Tweaking

Got some tweaking to do and then I will send this out to my beta testing team before its release. It's been a lotta fun and a learning experience. I will list in the README all those who helped make this a reality. Last hanger was done yesterday. Saw some things to fix in FSX so that is the "tweaking" to do.

After A Couple Of Tweaks

I just got the report back from my beta tester and just had to add a small exclude for it to work in P3D as well as FSX. If there are no other problems I will upload it later. It is rather large a file because of the accuracy and complexity of the buildings and hangers (161MB). It has autogen added to the photoreal background so that you have all the vegetation and its seasonal. Added a few autogen buildings as well to the scenery. There is an extensive README that acklowledges all the help and support to create it as accurately as it is current for 2022.

Ready To Go

This is complete and will be uploaded to the Warbirds Library today or tomorrow. Feedback please by PM requested for all sims (except X-plane).

Warbirds Library

Just received confirmation that KPXE is available for download in the Warbirds Library. Enjoy.

Thank you very much sir, I sure appreciate the share...and as always excellent craftmanship I'm sure.

Have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Thank you very much sir, I sure appreciate the share...and as always excellent craftmanship I'm sure.
    I hope you enjoy flying it. A nice 40 minute fight in a general aviation aircraft is from KDBN Bud Barron which I created and is available here to KPXE Perry Houston Cty airports. A lot of nice scenery in rural Georgia even in default FSX or P3D. They both work very well in both and have seasonal autogen as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0