Mike Stone's Aircraft - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Stone's Aircraft

All I get is a Games Factory web site............

Garry J. Smith passed away in October last year. I don't think his web-site was continued.

Huub

Ed Moore continued the Ford Trimotor sections of the site:

http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/frontpage.htm

It appears that the rest of Garry's site, including the rest of Garry's skins and the Mike Stone and Milton Shupe repositories, were not preserved.

It's too bad. Mike modeled some planes that aren't available from other modelers, and even if one doesn't like to fly without a VC, Mike's models are great for AI and for conversion to static models.

And one always has the option of making a non-dynamic pseudo VC by making the external model visible in VC view, which at least gives the visual impression of looking out the windows rather than being suspended in mid-air.

I suppose Mike's models are still available on the big download sites, easily found if one knows what they're looking for. But generating a list to peruse would be difficult because of the way AvSim and FlightSim set up their search pages. They don't seem to have a simple way of getting all the original models without the gazillions of repaints. It's a shame that the models aren't available in one place anymore.

Lightbulb

You will have the list there (all the pages "at left" will show ...... )

Code:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150529200509/http://www.gjsmith.net/Mike-Stone/index.htm
    Note that the download links don't work anymore !

Hello,
    Thank you all. I asked my question because Mike Stone's site had pictures of every aircraft. When I heard years ago that he was packing up, I downloaded all his aircraft for safe keeping into an external drive.

When I later heard of the G.J.Smith/Stone web site I checked it & saw he had the same pictures too. A recent check didn't get me what I wanted, as I've said.

The link to the Smith site I see has no pictures. I didn't check to see if any links there work as I have all Mike's aircraft.

Many thanks.
    Terry Wallis.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you all. I asked my question because Mike Stone's site had pictures of every aircraft. When I heard years ago that he was packing up, I downloaded all his aircraft for safe keeping into an external drive.

When I later heard of the G.J.Smith/Stone web site I checked it & saw he had the same pictures too. A recent check didn't get me what I wanted, as I've said.

The link to the Smith site I see has no pictures. I didn't check to see if any links there work as I have all Mike's aircraft.

Many thanks.
    Terry Wallis.
    Is it at all possible to get hold of the collection?

Members +
    I found this...
    http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...ne-collection/

Quote.." About This File

This is my attempt to salvage the files from being lost for forever. Every model he ever made is in this file. I did get permission from Mr Mike Stone himself. I am not making ANY money out of this and I think his legacy should be honoured hence I have put it up for all those people that DID appreciate Mike's efforts."

Mike Stone.. a much forgotten & unappreciated developer.
    His add-on's are not as detailed as others may be, but are really fun to fly.
    Remember, our hobby is meant to be Fun, Facts & Fiction!

We need to preserve the legacy of our forgotten developers, including the late Garry Smith, who gave so much freely to our hobby, without thanks, & with often with much undeserved criticism, causing them to leave our hobby!

Can anyone confirm if this collection is complete?

Regards,
    Robin.

I think Mr Tom should make this post by Robbie ( above) a 'sticky' somewhere. Top find there Robbie.

Ttfn

Pete

Members +

I have a separate install of all Garry's stuff from http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/
    I'm using only the scenery from there, all the add-on planes & textures, & I was lucky still to get Milton's older stuff. I've also added quite a bit of unusual planes planes as well, including some strange CFS2 planes such as a B17 with canards! (from our library)

I was getting very bored with the usual point-to-point flying, when I found the Ford site. To cut a long story short, I ended up being a beta tester for Garry, for an unreleased ' Death Star' project that also included some of Mike's planes. I've ended up flying my Ford Project install exclusively now, with sloping runways & ramps. I've added in Bill Lyon's add-ins as well, so I can use a skier to go down the ramps, as well as an Oldsmobile to drive around banked ovals.

It's just my appreciation for those forgotten freeware developers out there.

FS2004 still rocks!

It appears the link within the Ford Tri Motor site to all of the Milton Shupe titles that Garry/Ed were hosting is now ten toes up. Clicking on the panel for Milton's models takes you to the same "Games Factory" page. I believe I have all of the older planes that Milton did before he closed his site and moved his files over to Garry's site...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members +
    It does seem that all the repository areas, including Garry's Aircraft textures, are gone.
    Thanks to Ed Moore, we still, for the moment have the Ford site.

Would it be possible to somehow collect all the missing in action files, Milton's & Mike Stones, & put them in a safe place?
    I'm sure that there is still some interest in them?

I know Mr. Smith had a note on his site saying that his site was to be the only upload location for his work. Would it be out of order now to perhaps create a Legacy section in the library, similar to how the work of Usio and Talon have been preserved? I'm sure many of us have at least some of his work from over the years, and I would hate to see it be lost completely. Likewise with any of the other work that could only be found on Garry's site (Mike Stone, etc).

Little memory that came to mind while typing this - the first time I managed to create a custom AI flightplan that worked was Mike Stone's A320 in a Garry Smith repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Several of these files had a low level trojan in them - according to AVG, which promptly deleted them.

Members +
    Mmmm, interesting. My Avast found the file OK & I downloaded it again without any issues, rechecked & scan'd it, & installed a few of the files.

I think, because the zip is filled with exe's, AVG sees it as a false positive!.

No such worry with Kaspersky pro version. Just tried it.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members +
    I also found, for FS2002, a Ford Tri-motor on floats that I'm going to try in FS2004.
    Mike did make some great stuff, & I hope we can retrieve FS2002 stuff as well.
    Last edited by zswobbie1; July 19th, 2017 at 01:49.

I also found, for FS2002, a Ford Tri-motor on floats that I'm going to try in FS2004.
    Mike did make some great stuff, & I hope we can retrieve FS2002 stuff as well.
    I remember that float trimotor fondly. Alas, it lost its props in FS9.

Members +
    Darn, I have not had a chance to install it yet, but still nice to have a Ford floater in my Ford Tri-Motor install.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    I think Mr Tom should make this post by Robbie ( above) a 'sticky' somewhere. Top find there Robbie.

Ttfn

Pete
    Sorry I've been delinquent... I'd rather not stick a post that's several years old, but if you'll start a new thread, I'll be happy to stick it for a while, then move it over to the tips/tweaks section.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Is it at all possible to get hold of the collection?
    Although I downloaded them all as soon as Mike Stone announced his cessation, I did so for my own personal future use. I never understood the criticisms he was subjected too, especially as he didn't charge for them. I think his aircraft are brilliant are far superior to lots of paid for stuff - at the time & now.

I'm unsure about my sharing his copyrighted materials. I have seen their availability in 2 or 3 places on the web.................

Members +
    I do not think there is a problem in re-distributing his work.

From the Licence.txt within the add-on..

The software contained in this installation is the original work of Mike Stone. All rights are retained by the author under international copyright law. This software is supplied as is, with no warranty or guarantee of any kind, either express or implied. Use at your own risk.
    This software is distributed as freeware. No fee is charged for its distribution or use. If you were charged for this software, please notify the author (see below).
    You are granted a license to use this software for personal use. You may freely redistribute this software provided that this installation package is distributed as is, without modification. None of the software contained in this installation package may be distributed independently, or as part of any other work or software without the express written permission of the author. Any distribution of this software must be made freely available to the public, without restriction or fee of any kind.

Kind Regards,
    Robin

Right. Thanks for that.......if you get stuck, let me know.