Dr. House meets Smokey The Bear - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Dr. House meets Smokey The Bear

Thanks JK! Considering it lacks over 1000 HP compared to the PC-21, and can’t stop on a dime due to its lack of reverse pitch, I thought it did very well. I wish the brakes were a bit more effective and it had a higher G rating to help with slowing down, but it’s a nice ride. Too bad it may not have much practical use for the big race however.

Vicious

Here is where I have not solved the approach. U72-ID67

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnVqGpzPaJ8 Watch in High Quality

need to actually fly all legs together and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbee View Post
    Here is where I have not solved the approach. U72-ID67

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnVqGpzPaJ8 Watch in High Quality

need to actually fly all legs together and see what I can do.
    I'll refly it to see, but two things come to mind:

SLOWER!!!! --at the last left turn before rounding the corner you have to be back to 120 kts or less (flaps, gear down, power on holding it just above the stall) and drag the approach in.

After Landing, for max braking in the bearcat it's flaps UP ASAP, back pressure to add to aero drag and pin the tailwheel ....and brake steady but hard.

Under 20 kts you 'can' gracefully turn & brake in a controlled groundloop to avoid the creek (opposite aileron helps a tad at the beginning to prevent tipping) but that is 'last ditch resort' stuff.

Go back to KMYL and practice flight low and slow just above the stall to get the numbers down pat and be prepared for sloppy control

Off to test-fly now

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

buzzbee,

FIRST!!! make sure your throttle is calibrated because you have to be able to get down to min MP. I had a calibration problem last week and found it would only go down to about 15-20% .. had to hit F1 to make sure power was at idle until I fixed it --

I just ran it in the Beercat (SOH-LR) with crappy wx ( rain)... take off 04 and follow the valley straight ahead, turning left, left.. the after the big right turn power right back, get the speed coming down as you REALLY HUG the bottom of the valley... gear and full flaps asap as you will suddenly make a left turn and be on final. IF you are LOW you'll be able to fly straight in at 110-120 kts, touch down short of the threshold (Probably 3-400 ft short) ;; flaps UP and brake!!

you must be almost clipping trees all the way as the route is a constant descent and you can't carry power for more than a couple of seconds once you make the right turn or you'll never slow in time. Note: used NO dive brakes - they cause pitch UP and you can't afford height close in or you'll be too fast at touchdown.

Rob

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tips Rob. This challenge really shows off the Terrain Mesh! Just fun to fly around up there.

Asking for permission

Holy thread resurrections, Batman!!!

srgalahad, this Idaho Circuit is excellent. I am currently flying and creating missions only in DTG Flight Sim World. Would it be okay if I took this mission and built one for FSW?

Quote Originally Posted by theohall View Post
    Holy thread resurrections, Batman!!!

srgalahad, this Idaho Circuit is excellent. I am currently flying and creating missions only in DTG Flight Sim World. Would it be okay if I took this mission and built one for FSW?
    Be my guest!. As it's in an open thread it's in the 'public domain', but thanks for the courtesy of asking. A comment in the read-me referring to the source would be nice as it might show new FSW pilots about the larger Sim world out there.
    It was a fun, and educational exercise and even has enough to it to keep me reflying it every year or so for practice.