Dr. House meets Smokey The Bear - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dr. House meets Smokey The Bear

Here's the Tucano link Tom: http://www.simshed.co.uk/tucano.html

My initial thought was the Epic LT, but could find no concrete info on completed aircraft...Dynasty is still not certified so none will be out there in use.

Maybe I'll live out on the edge and try that Yak for kicks...liquid fuel rocket included! :costumes:
    -John-

Aircraft eligibility

SG
    Thanks for the clarification regarding aircraft eligibility. I just don’t want to waste time learning aircraft that have already been ruled out for various reasons so I was hoping that there might be a complete list of questionable aircraft.

Fliger
    The model I flew was a T29 made by RanchoJEN. I downloaded the file (emb314.zip) from flightsim.com. I’ve found several sources that show a top level speed of 310 kts, but I can only crack 300 so it doesn’t seem too hot, but perhaps there was a climb performance issue. Thanks for checking it out. I don’t think it has much utility in the race, but maybe there’s so challenge leg where its ease of flying could be beneficial.

Vicious

Vicious PC-21 Run

Just a quick run to get some idea how well the PC-21 could do, if eligible. It produced an easy 48:43. The ability to reverse pitch on approach and rollout is tremendous.

Vicious

Vicious PC-21 Run

Legs 5-8

Vicious PC-21 Run

Legs 9 and 10

Now that is quick.
    -Mike

Just a quick Google of the PC-21, looks like enough operational deliveries to be legal.

Max figures look good for a racer, though further investigation would be needed to root out what altitude the speed is good at, and range is another issue. The range figure is good, 700 miles, however at max speed how far it could go might be an issue. Generally the specific fuel consumption figures for turboprops are not as good as for a piston. Are there any external tanks available for this for longer legs?

Cheers: T.

Pc-21

I’m not sure about the extra fuel option, but there were other downloads for the model which I didn’t try, some of which were in production colors rather than the prototype scheme I flew. As for the main race, I don’t think the performance numbers are overwhelming, since there are many planes that are much faster at altitude, but perhaps it has a place in a challenge leg, or if the altitude or airfields are restricted. It was great for getting into and out of the short fields at the base of the valleys, and really wasn’t a challenge at all to fly. I practiced a bit with the F8F and while I’d bet it can beat the 48 minute time, it would require more effort slowing it down and not running out of room on the landing. With the PC-21 I was full speed to within a mile of the runway and then would hit the reverse pitch, drop everything and perform a high G “S” turn to slow down and could often be stopped on the end of the runway within 30 seconds. However, I’m sure the FM has to be checked out to make sure it’s not too hot as well.

Vicious

It would be interesting to find out a little more about the operating limits. I have flown a number of PT6 equipped aircraft (long ago) and certainly reverse was not available in flight. It is possible that this could be done, though I expect that the torque limits would not permit this.

I know that in the South America event that the Pe2 had that decelleration advantage because of the dive brakes. You could maintain high speed till a mile or two final. We did have some nasty short fields in holes etc during the RTW. Where did you get your PC-21?

T.

Yea, I loved the Pe-2 for that event. Now that you mention it, I think the PC-21 has speed brakes as well, but I forgot to use them. They weren’t available in the Tucano so I learned to go without. It would be interesting to find out if the reverse pitch is available in flight. It worked on the Tucano I flew also.

I downloaded the PC-21 from Flightsim.com but I don’t recall the file name. If you like I can send you that when I get home.

Vicious

Thanks VC, will go search at Flightsim.

I've got a PC-21 by Piglet, (here or the usual places) but I don't get the speed Vicious got...must be different. 15 to 25kts slower.
    -John-

The one I found was the Piglet one.

T.

PC-21 Testing

Yep, I was flying the Piglet PC-21. I checked the performance versus a fact sheet from Pilatus and found it’s a bit quick at SL and 10K versus their stats. At SL they show a max level speed of 323 KTAS while the model gives 331 KTAS (+8 kts; +2.4%). At 10k the speed should be 337 KTAS but the model gives 351 KTAS (+14kts; +4.2%). I assume that’s a bit too hot for RTW race work?

Vicious

VC:

Might be a bit hot, but much worse ones have been approved. MM would be the expert on what will 'fly'. Do you have AFSD? Good to figure out the range at best altitude and max speed. Rang would now be the issue.

Cheers: T.

If I remember correctly it was the Simshed Tucano that was ruled as to hot. I ran it in the Caribean event last year. Pity it's a great aircraft.

Steve
    Proud member of the RTW Team

This was a fun experience. :ernae:
    I used a RealAir Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX – Lady Ellen III.
    I am not sure if this is a valid RTW aircraft ?

MM Aerial Salvage company will have two wreckages to
    pickup in Idaho mountains. So I am disqualified.
    I might try with the AeroSoft DHC-6 Twin Otter
    Also at KMYL: A Spitfire with engine damaged. I had to glide in, but I guess this is still valid as long as Duenna is green.
    I used to much boost for too long time, so the front window is full of oil.
    A nice feature in the Real Air Spitfire.
    See pictures in next posts.

Total time 1:03:51.
    Jock Andersen
    EKCH/EKAT, Denmark
    TEAM AVSIM

Leg 5-8
    Jock Andersen
    EKCH/EKAT, Denmark
    TEAM AVSIM

leg 9 & 10
    Jock Andersen
    EKCH/EKAT, Denmark
    TEAM AVSIM

I the engine too much for too long so the engne ws damged.

I glided in to KMYL and landed with a green Duenna.
    Jock Andersen
    EKCH/EKAT, Denmark
    TEAM AVSIM

hmmmm.. I guess that's what some would cal la "greaser" of a landing...:mixedsmi:

or would that be slick as spit on oil?

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Been doing some runs in the U-bird, the same one I flew in the RTW. I am rather amazed at how well it stops, mostly usingf about half of the runways for landing, no crashes yet, over the fence at 85 knots, slows really fast with the flaps and gear.

I wanted to run in FSX, but somehow getting opaque glass, which I did not have before. I think I could knock some more time off if the WEP was working. Have to find the gauge.

5+56/5+29/5+36/5+39......... so far. Of course it should be a natural flier for me as I did the FM.....

Only getting a TAS at 7000' or so of about 322 kts on Military power. I'll have to find the WEP stuff and see if I can improve on that.

T.

Tried FSX, a lot prettier..... 13ID to 0U1 in the U-bird. 4+53, 8934 max altitude. Will spit out the Duenn'a later. This had my only trial flight so far. If the Duenna is on the screen the sim ignores the key commands and it was a little time before I realized my slow speed was due to gear and flaps that did not come up! WEP helps a bit! Ya can use it the whole way for a 5 min flight! Sound is not working for some reason.....

T.

Hey All,

Had no clue this thread was about a practice. Never looked at it with such an odd title. Anyway will participate.

Couple comments on the PC-21. 1) I like the plane I wanted to fly it in competition last year - a bit "twitchy" on handling but otherwise a fast plane. For short legs like this - highly competitive (WWII fighters "TAKE THAT" a single engine modern day turboprop "trainer" is as quick as you!) - on two hour legs probably a bit short on high end speed though. 2) It can stop fast but in real life can you reverse the prop while in flight? In FS you can with no problems to the engines.

The Cheyenne 400LS is equally good at stopping but doesn't have the high end speed of a military plane. I haven't bought the Epic yet but maybe I will just to see what it can do in an event like this. About time I also got reacquainted with my main "ride" the Hornet.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-