Problem with shadow areas...

Thread: Problem with shadow areas...

Problem with shadow areas...

Hi guys, I wanted to ask for your advice on how to solve a problem that has haunted me since using FS2020 and that I have never been able to solve.
    It is undoubtedly inherent to the shadow areas, as you can see in the attached images where there are grainy areas that then return to normal if illuminated.
    I tried to vary and change all the settings related to the light / shadows, I constantly updated the Nvidia drivers (I have an RTX 2080ti) I also set the anisotropic filter to 16x from the Nvidia control panel by putting it to OFF in the simulator settings, as I have advised.
    Nothing has changed ... maybe someone has the same problem?
    Fulvio

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senza titolo-1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	87264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senza titolo-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	87265

I often see that "pixelated" shadow with some of my addons.
    For example, I see it with Dino's MB-339 most of the times.
    I don't know if it's linked to ambiant occlusion shadows... Have you tried to deactivate these ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I often see that "pixelated" shadow with some of my addons.
    For example, I see it with Dino's MB-339 most of the times.
    I don't know if it's linked to ambiant occlusion shadows... Have you tried to deactivate these ?
    Yes, I tried putting everything related to shadows to OFF. I also started noticing this problem with the 339, and now on the SSW 104.
    I only use add-ons ... could it be a problem that affects only these? It would be very strange.

At my place, the F-104 engine smoke ugly since the update
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvio_61 View Post
    Hi guys, I wanted to ask for your advice on how to solve a problem that has haunted me since using FS2020 and that I have never been able to solve.
    It is undoubtedly inherent to the shadow areas, as you can see in the attached images where there are grainy areas that then return to normal if illuminated.
    I tried to vary and change all the settings related to the light / shadows, I constantly updated the Nvidia drivers (I have an RTX 2080ti) I also set the anisotropic filter to 16x from the Nvidia control panel by putting it to OFF in the simulator settings, as I have advised.
    Nothing has changed ... maybe someone has the same problem?
    Fulvio

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senza titolo-1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	87264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senza titolo-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	87265
    In General Options > Graphics > ADVANCED SETTINGS, scroll down to RAYMARCHED REFLECTIONS and set it to ULTRA.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    In General Options > Graphics > ADVANCED SETTINGS, scroll down to RAYMARCHED REFLECTIONS and set it to ULTRA.
    Thanks, but I've always had that setting on Ultra ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    At my place, the F-104 engine smoke ugly since the update
    Even before the update, the Starfighter's engine smoke was never realistic in my opinion. But I think it's a limitation of the simulator ...

I've seen these too, but since the last sim I flew was FS9 (no self-shadowing at all), I just see them as a quirk.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Yes, see them in a blink of an eye. Really donīt care about them, pay no attention, not important at all for me.

A few things you could try:

Change anti-aliasing type to TAA
    Disable FilmGrain in UserCfg.opt
    Disable Sharpen in UserCfg.opt, use a sharpening filter in Nvidia Freestyle

DX12 and especially DLSS will eliminate this issue, so if none of above options are to your liking, wait until DLSS is implemented in the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post

DX12 and especially DLSS will eliminate this issue, so if none of above options are to your liking, wait until DLSS is implemented in the sim.
    Ok, I try....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post

These recommendations are very good and I also recommend them strongly, unfortunately I use these settings since I started using MSFS many months ago, and they do nothing for this specific shadow issue :/

Members who have read this thread: 0