Skins of aircraft showing on windows 10

Thread: Skins of aircraft showing on windows 10

Skins of aircraft showing on windows 10

An problem I seem to be facing with some aircraft is that the skins are not showing on some models, the models themselves do but just grey in colour, some I can rectify by finding another copy of the aircraft and swapping skins, others there doesn't seem to be a fix, when having a look at the bmp files my computer tells me as below. Is there another program I need to rectify this?

That may depend on what video card your using or on board graphics card ,
    the older ones , used to have a box to enable DXT , from the card GUI root system ,
    Check their first ,

Graphics

Thanks, Im running a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti,and found the Control Panel for it but the DXT is not mentioned, resorted to using Martin Wrights DXTBMP to change the file types in the meantime until I can work this out.

Question Reply...

Murray,

Just out of curiosity, are you making sure that the aircraft.cfg entry for the texture folder and the texture folder actually match up?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Skins

Thanks Rami, Im not that conversant, they are the aircraft downloaded with the Mediterranean campaigns you've put together... Ill have a play around and see what I can find

Skins

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Murray,

Just out of curiosity, are you making sure that the aircraft.cfg entry for the texture folder and the texture folder actually match up?

Yes, all appears to be correct, when I go intp the texture in DXTBmp and open the DXT3 and save again as an extended 256 Color , the skins show in CFS2 with no apparent issues

Murray

Extended 256 bitmaps are 8 bit colour. This suggests you are not utilising the best display properties of your GTX1050.

I'm pretty sure you need to edit your cfs2.cfg using Notepad.

See this post:-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1275756

One step forward two steps sideways

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Murray

Extended 256 bitmaps are 8 bit colour. This suggests you are not utilising the best display properties of your GTX1050.

I'm pretty sure you need to edit your cfs2.cfg using Notepad.

See this post:-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1275756
    Well the worlds looking a lot better with the setting at 32, phew. however the screen displaying aircraft selector is black whatever I do , where am I going wrong? I have square eyes now which at my age aint good!
    I followed Maxstuka's guide for settings dropping the mode as well.

Current settings are
    Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Mode=1024x768x32
    Dither=1
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=1
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Disable=0

Actually a second issue, by pressing z one used to be able to display coordinates during flight, this no longer seems to be possible , is there a fix?
    Last edited by Murray; May 24th, 2022 at 01:27. Reason: New thought

Murray

I think the black aircraft selection screen is an issue if running full screen.

Try running windowed, you can size the window so it's almost full screen.

Running the sim windowed worked for me (GTX1650 card).

I think the sim baulks at displaying too many "3D" screens inside other windows, hence the black window.

My theory is by running the sim in a window, you side-step this limitation...

Hope this helps.

Window

Murray

I think the sim baulks at displaying too many "3D" screens inside other windows, hence the black window.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that . Sorry, my computer literacy is a little short, how does one run a program in a window?

- - - Updated - - -

Murray

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that . Sorry, my computer literacy is a little short, how does one run a program in a window?

Pressing Alt and Enter keys move you between running full screen & in a window (inside a frame).

You can click on the edges of this frame with your mouse cursor & drag the edges to re-size this window so it's as large as you want it to be ( just as you can with any other software that runs inside a windows frame).

Pressing Alt and Enter keys move you between running full screen & in a window (inside a frame).

You can click on the edges of this frame with your mouse cursor & drag the edges to re-size this window so it's as large as you want it to be ( just as you can with any other software that runs inside a windows frame).
    Thanks for that, we have a little traction, the program shows up with a 6x4 approx screen and the aircraft shows up in the selector screen, only issue now is that while I can move the window around the screen , the edges wont enlarge, is there a trick to this too

Murray

My bad, your are correct, IIRC the initial window size is set within cfs2.cfg.Check the values in your cfs2.cfg.

Earlier in this thread you said:

Current settings are
    Mode=1024x768x32
    Dither=1
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=1
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Disable=0

Check your desktop resolution first, but my Mode reads=1920x1080x32.
    1024x768x32 probably isn't large enough for modern monitor/laptops, that run at higher resolutions. So the tittle & menu screens appear small.
    You should be able to enlarge the title & menu screen appearance by adjusting these values.

That said, once you have loaded a freeflight, you should be able to drag the screen to any size you like & position it on your desktop as you see fit.

Full screen an good looks

Murray

My bad, your are correct, IIRC the initial window size is set within cfs2.cfg.Check the values in your cfs2.cfg.

Earlier in this thread you said:

Current settings are
    Mode=1024x768x32
    Dither=1
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=1
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Disable=0

Check your desktop resolution first, but my Mode reads=1920x1080x32.
    1024x768x32 probably isn't large enough for modern monitor/laptops, that run at higher resolutions. So the tittle & menu screens appear small.
    You should be able to enlarge the title & menu screen appearance by adjusting these values.

That said, once you have loaded a freeflight, you should be able to drag the screen to any size you like & position it on your desktop as you see fit.
    Thanks so much to all , As you say once changed to 1920x1080x32.its just the initial screen that remains in the 4x6 mode, once the flight starts it seems to go to nearly full screen. and now the mesh looks really good . I really appreciate the help you all have given me . Ive learnt a lot and probably have more to go! But its certainly a fun program. Thanks again. Ive found all my old backup discs from the first decade of this century so have a lot of sorting too.

Members who have read this thread: 0