Just Can't Help Myself

Thread: Just Can't Help Myself

Just Can't Help Myself

I wanted to fly today. I got interrupted over and over. Then when I finally created my flightplan, it was 3+hours in the C172 and I just didn't want to fly that long. So, I went to Skyvector. Currently I am at KCHS Charleston, SC from my last flight from Myrtle Beach. I started looking at the sectional and saw an airport, KDBN, W.H. Bud Barron Airport in Dublin GA. About 1 and a half hours. Just right. My next step is to search and see if I can find an FSX airport for it. No such luck! Ok, open up ADE and see what the 12 year old (or more) ACEs default FSX looks like. Not too bad. Now open up Google Earth and oh yah it's not very accurate if it was 12 years ago. The first thing I did was to replace the nicely surfaced closed runway with a ground poly of old broken concrete like it looks in Google Earth. Had to straighten out the taxiway to runway 32 which was not right and length it. Then I had to add the blastpads to 2/20. Fix the apron and add 11 more parking spots for GA and resize them all. Now I'm ready to fly and Google Earth had one of those nice 3D on the ground shots of the terminal not just the top down and that did it for me. The next 3 hours went into creating an accurate terminal in Sketchup WITH night textures added in MDCx. I was going to just resize and use some fsx default buildings but after doing the terminal I am going to try and get some accurate hangers as well since Google Earth lets me get down on the street and walk around the outside of the airport. When I am finished I will share it here and fly my flightplan from KCHS to KDBN.

Yep, that's how it happens. You land at an airport, you like the surrounding area and so you look to see what the actual airport looks like and "BAM". . .hello Sketchup, lol
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Insomnia?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yep, that's how it happens. You land at an airport, you like the surrounding area and so you look to see what the actual airport looks like and "BAM". . .hello Sketchup, lol
    I saw when you posted this...I was sound asleep in my jammies dreaming something at "O-dark thirty".
    LOL!

Today's updates

I decided after seeing the PR background I created in SBuilder that this was so out of wack that I made 15 screenshots in Google Earth and made a mosaic of them as background in ADEx. Then I realigned everything the way it should look. I also made two more hangers with Google Earth Street View and Google Earth Pro both up so that I had aerial and on the ground views besides the screenshots. Well the day is done. My wrist is wore slap out from "mouse work" but I just checked it out in FSX and the taxiways and runways are all aligned perfectly with the photoreal so it was a good day's work all in all. More tomorrow and some hanger shots to share. Also made an iron fence that is entry to the apron by the terminal in Sketchup. Telephoned the office and found out where the beacon is located. Really nice guy who also clued me in that there is no Airstar FBO any more, just self-serve fueling. He was really interested when I told him what I was calling about. I've never had occasion to call somewhere like JFK, ORD or ATL but the mid-size and small airports I've found all are nice and very helpful people like Falcon 409 has also commented. Especially when you describe why you need the info that you are recreating THEIR airport and want it to be as accurate as the flight simulator will let you be. "Wiedersehen"

Just About Done

I spent most of the day finishing up the rest of the hangers: all custom but for a couple FSX airport objects that fit "the profile" and all but 3 are completed. I have been checking it in the sim and I think it looks good including the photoreal background. I will check it out and then send it to a couple "testers" in FSX and P3D and also post some screenshots here tomorrow as well. It's late again. So signing off.

Finally Done

Here are four screenshots of the complete airport: 2 from the air and two from the ground. I finished this morning and would like some feedback. The terminal has night textures. The hangers do not because the airport is basically open from dawn to dusk unlike larger ones. I have seen video of aircraft landing at night and the runways are lit as in real life but it is not lit up a lot. I tried a couple of times to realign the airport with the photoreal background with no success. When you open up FSX it is not perfect so I am not using it. It is included out of the scenery if you want to try but I am just going to fly it in FSX scenery. Let me know if there is something major that needs fixing. Otherwise, as we said in the Navy: "It's close enough for government work!" LOL

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wa4l1...rport.zip/file

Here is the mediafire link to download the airport:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hxtnb...rport.zip/file

Richard, in the third pic I see the misalignment I guess you're referring to. . .if that is a runway, when you select it it will give you a small node off the end of the rwy that allows you to rotate it. You can make adjustments that way to realign it. . .or in the properties for that rwy you can adjust the heading incrementally until it lines up correctly.

Current System Specs:

I wish to thank you sir, I sure appreciate your efforts and then sharing your hard work with all of us.

Pat

Tried

Richard, in the third pic I see the misalignment I guess you're referring to. . .if that is a runway, when you select it it will give you a small node off the end of the rwy that allows you to rotate it. You can make adjustments that way to realign it. . .or in the properties for that rwy you can adjust the heading incrementally until it lines up correctly.
    Thank you for helping. I took screenshots in FSX and then put those images into ADEx and aligned them but then when FSX is opened it doesn't go where it belongs. I have had this issue before with some other airport(s) can't remember now which ones. KASH worked beautifully. I have created 6 photoreal background shots in SBuilderX a bit ago. Tomorrow I am going to see if I align the runways and taxiways on top of the photoreal from a screenshot in FSX what happens. If they stay put where they belong then I will use this 6 set photoreal background and reposition hangers and aprons. Then I will release the airport with the photoreal background because it is so much more accurate than the 10-15 year old FSX is. More tomorrow. Its an early morning so that's it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I wish to thank you sir, I sure appreciate your efforts and then sharing your hard work with all of us.

Pat
    I have had so much help here as well as enjoyment from others work they shared I started a couple years ago to give back.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; May 11th, 2022 at 18:53.

If you have about 15 minutes or so free and can get on TS, I think I can help with the alignment problem. Just PM me if that's possible.

Current System Specs:

Just Replied

Just sent you a PM thank you.

Final Update

Yesterday and today I got some clarification from the airport manager at Bud Barron Airport. Really nice and helpful. Since I was not able to find a detailed airport diagram, just a simple sketch on Airnav, I called the airport. Google Earth shows taxiway signs. I was able to get the designations on the phone and sketched them as we talked. Also found out that all the taxiways are lighted so I corrected that as well. Hope you all enjoy flying it. Another nice, small general aviation airport. There are 18 single engine; 1 multi-engine and one helicopter based on the field if you want to do an ai aircraft to add. The Multi-engine is a Beechcraft Baron; there are Piper Cherokee, Cessna C172 Skyhawk and a Beechcraft Bonanza today according to Flightaware. Yesterday there was a Cessna C182 Skylane so there's a start for your AIFP3 flighplans. I'd go to Flightaware and write down the registrations and types and where they are going to. Do the same tomorrow. That is how I do it for small or large airports.

Here is the update. Replace the 3 bgl files in your scenery folder.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ugjtd...pdate.zip/file

And that's a wrap!

Photoreal Scenery

Falcon 409 and I spent a few hours on Teamspeak as he coached me through SBuilderX compile of photoreal scenery the right way. My frustration was that I was doing it all wrong and he helped me get it right. After I align taxiways and hangers with the photoreal background I will create a new KDBN W.H. Bud Barron airport to share here and also on AVSIM which has given me so much all these years of flightsimming. Watch here for some photos and the download link next week. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Richard, check your PM's

Current System Specs:

Just Might Be Finished

With a tremendous effort by Falcon409 to get this to work with photoreal scenery, its now out for testing and just might be ready by next week to post it here for download. Thanks Ed!

Last Night

I got the final version from falcon409 yesterday and checked it out in my FSX. We are going to put the SODE Windsock inside the segmented circle as soon as we can but in the meantime, here are screenshots to enjoy I took yesterday realtime and weather:

Like G.A.S. Said

That real life stuff just keeps getting in the way of the fun stuff. I hope that we will have this in the Warbird's Library for download next week after Memorial Day. A big "thumbs up" to all of us vets. Thanks for your service!

Richard
    Vietnam 68 and 70
    NAS Glenview 70-72

Here Is The Final Version

For anyone who has been anxiously waiting for us to finish here it is. The last finishing touch, the SODE windsock was done this morning. A big thank you to Falcon409 for all his help with this especially showing me where I was not doing the photoreal correctly which is why it was not registering in the sim. It registers perfectly now and has had autogen added so that its not flat but 3D, trees and all. Each hanger is custom made and closely resembles the real thing. The taxiways are all lit as in real life like the FBO manager told me they were. The comms are correct, too. You can actually refuel your aircraft at the FBO next to the terminal 100LL and Jet A. I believe that this will work in all the simulators except for MSFS. I don't know about P3D V5 and would like feedback. Here is the download for the complete package:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/75kwh...Field.zip/file

It's a nice small airport to fly in and out of. If you look for it on Skyvector you will find a lot of other small airports around it for GA aircraft you can fly to from KDBN. The first one I found (believe it or not its in FSX) was Dr. C.P. Savage, SR. 53A; there is also KPXE Perry Houston Cty Airport* with an asphalt runway and ILS and Butler Municipal 6A1 is fairly accurate in FSX. Fire up that C172 or PA28 or even a Piper Cub and have some fun flying.

A big thank you to the staff at the REAL Bud Barron Airport for all their assistance making this an accurate representation of the real airport.

*Perry Houston County Airport is currently building a brand new terminal and reopened the runway on May 28. This may be something to thing about in the future if I can get them to supply me with what I need.

Great Scenery. Works well and is in a nice location. Thanks for your hard work.

BB

Great News

Quote Originally Posted by binarkansas View Post
    Great Scenery. Works well and is in a nice location. Thanks for your hard work.

BB
    Thank you for the feedback. I hope that others in P3D and FSX-SE will respond as well. I just reloaded my A2A Piper PA-38 Comanche and look forward to doing some flying from KDBN and around to those other GA airports. "Keep the blue side up".

Thank you

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to make this airport. I read your directions on how to get the animated windsock to work via SODE but at first, I didn't know where to fine the SODE folder,
    I found it then it was clear where to put the windsock files. Pretty neat.

Here is a 360 view of real airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...uwQoip6BAhUEAM

Works great in P3d v5.3
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by gray eagle; June 3rd, 2022 at 12:12.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to make this airport. I read your directions on how to get the animated windsock to work via SODE but at first, I didn't know where to fine the SODE folder,
    I found it then it was clear where to put the windsock files. Pretty neat.

Here is a 360 view of real airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...uwQoip6BAhUEAM

Works great in P3d v5.3
    Thanks again.
    When I got in as close in Google Earth that I could the windsock was red, which is what I did. The windsock in your 360 view is definitely faded, probably yellow since it's almost ivory. The Google map shows that Rodney Holt photographed this in June 2022 so its up to date. Google Earth sattelite images are sometimes as much as 2-3 years old in some cases If I am successful doing the model I will post an update for it here. Thanks for this and also letting me know how well it works in P3D V5.3

Thank you Sir, yet another fine scenery for FSX and for the use of everyone. Doesn't get any better than that. Thanks again.

Glad You Like It

It is gratifying to have guys here appreciate my work as I appreciate all theirs. I have not been able to get any answer about that dilapidated wind sock that gray eagle sent me photo of. I CAN see the red windsock and pole on Google Earth Satellite though its earlier than 2022. In any case until then I am leaving the windsock as is. Enjoy flying. I will be starting a new thread for a new Georgia small GA airport next week as I am accumulating the information I need for it. Watch for it. Thank you all again for downloading my work.

Members who have read this thread: 1