Anyone else do this?

Thread: Anyone else do this?

Anyone else do this?

My son has been putting all copies of CFS2 on USB memory sticks.It has saved over 100 GB's so far on his computer and he can use them to fly and use the mission builder.

He's also doing this with with flight sims.

Has anyone else tried or done this?

Hiede

I always copy my flightsims on several HD's so I will not lose stuff and as I am on holidays often after my retirement I always have "clean" CFS, CFS2, FS9 and FSX with me on USB-sticks for trying out changes I've made on planes etc. Works fine for me.

hertzie

Icon5

Hi Hiede,
    Yes you can, and not so much with CFS2, but there may be slow downs and hesitations with other bigger, more demanding flight sims as the data transfer speeds of a memory stick are not up to the data transfer rates of a HDD.

The problem with memory sticks are that they're susceptible to static shock, physical damage and ultimately aimple loss. (Just ask my wife who lost her 6000 word degree dissertation some 20 years ago and it cost us £600/$800 to get it back then! And all because she trusted only a memory stick....that just went phut. ). Melodramatic example, yes, but I would hate him to lose all his good work and set-ups/installs through a simple glitch.

I'm not spending your money, but external HDD's are not a lot of money eg US Ebay 500Gb internal or external HDD new for about $24.00 or 1TB for $52, or if you're brave, a refurbished HDD for about $10-15 less.

Yes to having another back-up copy on a memory stick, but using a HDD for your primary storage is a much better idea.

Cheers

Shessi
    Last edited by Shessi; May 3rd, 2022 at 04:37.

Refurbished HDD.... don"t they just blow the dust off those things???

Cheers mav

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Refurbished HDD.... don"t they just blow the dust off those things???

Cheers mav
    Agree completely about refurbished HDD's. They're a bad idea. And given the fact that HDD's have come down quite a bit in price lately, I don't see a valid reason to buy a refurbished one. Especially if data security and retention are the reasons behind the purchase.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

We have external HD's also with a lot stored on them.The 1 HD has Talon's PHP2 from 2003 with the original Pearl Harbor scenery made by Crashaz,The textures from this were used to update PHP2 4 or 5 years ago.Some of the other CFS2 related items are from 2001.

Hiede

Cfs2 on usb sticks.....

Hiedi:
    I have several different sticks for CFS2. The problem I found was keeping track of what was on what stick. I have used the game itself on a stick but I did find that using the game on the stick resulted in lag and, as others have already stated ,lately some external HD's have become really cheap and work better. I even formatted some old drives I had and in external USB enclosures have put the games with no problem. Also keep in mind that not all USB sticks are equal in quality and can lose their data over a period of time.

Also USB ports/devices in Windows need to be manually configured to actually run anywhere near the speed they are capable of. The default settings are slow.

Reply...

Hiede,

I have CFS2 on my backup hard drives....I'm able to free up a lot of space on my hard drives by running it off my backup drive.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Hiede,

I have CFS2 on my backup hard drives....I'm able to free up a lot of space on my hard drives by running it off my backup drive.
    Guess you and others didn't read the post where I said I had external HD's.Or maybe it was just ignored.

Hiede

Members who have read this thread: 0