Aichi D3A2 model 22 Val
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aichi D3A2 model 22 Val

In the workshop

Something different for me, an Aichi D3A2 Val under construction. I think it's the only major Japanese aircraft we don't already have. I used Akemi's D3A1 Val as the basis to work from. I still have the animations to complete (my very weak point I might add), painting obviously, the 2D and VC panels, and the .dp. A little tweaking to the D3A1 flight files should work alright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D3A2.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Woo hoo!

wonderful!

I have a faible for Japanese WW2 Planes, the -Zero- was the reason to buy CFS2 when the sim comes out about 22 years ago.
    I work at my 4th Dive bomber D4Y, it’s in the early making (the picture is not actual)
    The Engine, wings and landing gear animations are always ready, (not shown in the Picture)
    I still have little spare time to work on the aircraft, (that will change in about 2 years)
    Wolfi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D4Y - 035.jpg  

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Two great news for CFS2 enthusiasts !!!!

The D3A2...

...will close an important gap!

Cheers

Pepe

It will! - My decision was between D3A or D4Y, I’m glad to select the D4Y!
    So I’m happy not to do the D3A now, because Captain Kurt make great Aircraft ! and I'm looking foreward for it.
    I also like his textures, he made a few for my aircrafts.

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Library Staff
    Great work Kurt! Time for a rest from all those fiddly wires and struts.

Thanks guys,

Wolfi, you're still a part of this as the pilot and gunner are your Japanese pilot figure - with a new face texture.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Captain Kurt,

I am so glad that you have started to build WW2 aircraft. I like WW2 aircraft much better than WW1 aircraft. I am hoping that you can finish it soon.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AcWai View Post
    Captain Kurt,

I am so glad that you have started to build WW2 aircraft. I like WW2 aircraft much better than WW1 aircraft. I am hoping that you can finish it soon.

Andrew
    I wholeheartedly agree!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Something different for me, an Aichi D3A2 Val under construction. I think it's the only major Japanese aircraft we don't already have. I used Akemi's D3A1 Val as the basis to work from. I still have the animations to complete (my very weak point I might add), painting obviously, the 2D and VC panels, and the .dp. A little tweaking to the D3A1 flight files should work alright.
    Real D3A2 panel here:

http://gunsight.jp/c/english/cockpit-e-3D.htm

Nice!

Progress to date.

Keyframe animations are complete:
    Pilot canopy opens
    Gunner turns around, his canopies open, and machine gun raises into firing position with the gear retract command. This way the AI will automatically have the gunner deployed in flight.
    Wings fold
    Dive brakes open
    Cowl flaps open
    Tail hook deploys

Painting is 90% complete - still have the paint chipping to do, some control surfaces shading, decal for the wheel pants, etc

I still need to complete the LODs, the 2D and VC panels, the .dp, and tweak the D3A1 air files

The paint scheme is plane 2-1-202 from the carier Hiyo, deployed to Rabaul in April 1943. see the second picture. The Vals are still carrying long range tanks from the flight from the Hiyo to Rabaul.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	val 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	86922

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d3a_val_rabaul_1943.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	86923
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; April 11th, 2022 at 09:28.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Aichi D3A2 model 22 Val

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - Japanese

Description: Aichi D3A2 model 22 Val

During the early years of the pacific war, the Val was a highly effective and feared aircraft but this gradually changed as the war progressed. When the US Navy sank the 4 of the most important Japanese aircraft carriers during the battle of Midway, many Vals and their experienced pilots were lost. Based on combat experiences, the designers from Aichi tried to improve the top speed of the D3A1 model 11 by replacing its engine with the much more powerful Kinsei 54 (take-off power: 1300 HP). This modification went into mass-production in August of 1942 as the Aichi D3A2 model 22, and was delivered to units during fall of 1942.

By this point however, the new D4Y1 Judy dive bomber was already available and in mass-production. The D4Y became the standard carrier dive-bomber of the Japanese navy. The D3A2 Vals were then stationed on land-based airfields as well as on smaller carriers which the D4Y couldn’t land on because of its higher landing speed.

The increase in speed compared to the D3A1 however did not prevent the D3A2 from being nothing but cannon fodder for the new US fighters like the Hellcat and Corsair. Squadrons equipped with D3A2s suffered catastrophic losses and they weren’t able to deal any significant damage to allied naval vessels anymore. At the beginning of 1944 many D3A2s were modified and sent to training units, receiving the designation D3A2-K, but the D3A2 continued in service until the end of the war mainly as a kamikaze aircraft.

Production of the D3A2 was completely stopped in June 1944. In total 470 D3A1s, and 1016 D3A2s were produced. The D3A remains one of the most iconic planes ever produced by the Japanese. It sank at least 16 allied warships which makes it one of the most successful dive-bombers of all time.

Crew: 2
    Length: 10.195 m (33 ft 5 in) -- dimensions are the same as the earlier D3A1
    Wingspan: 14.365 m (47 ft 2 in)
    Height: 3.847 m (12 ft 7 in)
    Wing area: 34.9 m2 (376 sq ft)
    Empty weight: 2,570 kg (5,666 lb)
    Gross weight: 3,800 kg (8,378 lb)
    Powerplant: 1 × Mitsubishi Kinsei 54 14-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 970 kW (1,300 hp) for take-off
    Propeller: 3-bladed metal constant-speed

Performance:
    Top speed: 430 km/h at 6200 m (267 mph at 20 341 ft)
    Cruising speed: 296 km/h at 3000 m (184 mph at 9843 ft)
    Climb rate: 8.62 m/s (28.28 ft/s)
    Engine: 1x Mitsubishi Kinsei 54 rated at 1300 HP
    Empty weight: 2570 kg (5666 lbs)
    Loaded weight: 3800 kg (8378 lbs)
    Service ceiling: 10 500 m (34 449 ft)
    Wing loading: 108.9 kg/m²
    Range: 1352 km

Armament
    Guns: 2x forward-firing 7.7 mm Type 97 aircraft machine guns in the forward fuselage and 1x 7.7 mm Type 92 machine gun on a flexible mount in the rear cockpit
    Bombs: 1x 250 kg (550 lb) under the fuselage and 2x 60 kg (130 lb) bombs under the wings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the D3A1 by Akemi as a starting reference, the D3A2 model and textures were developed by Captain Kurt.

The pilot figures are Wolfi's freeware Japanese pilot .fsc source file.

The prop spinning texture is by Kelticheart.

The 2D panel background image is by Morton, much modified to more closely match the model VC.

The gauges are by Microsoft, FDG, JWB and Martin Klein.

The Bombs are by Allen.

The air files are by Akemi, modified to D3A2 specs.

The rear gunner and canopy opening are activated by the retract gear command.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Aichi D3A2 model 22 Val
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks CK,

Nuthin short of brilliant!!!

Cheers mav

Hi Captain
    Looking good.
    Thanks for this great aircraft.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Quick start, great finish!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

SOH-CM-2024

Icon26 Aichi D3A2 Model 22

Thank you Captain Kurt for a lovely aircraft!!!

Excellent Job.

Please keep up the great work.

Regards,

a longtime missing model beside the original CFS2 aircraft

wolfi

A very nice addition to the CFS2 hangar!
    Thank you very much!

Cheers Kurt

An important gap filled

OYEZZZZZ! Thanks for another great addition to CFS2.

Mighty fine Captain Kurt!!

Members who have read this thread: 0