Computer Upgrade Questions

Thread: Computer Upgrade Questions

Computer Upgrade Questions

Before we begin. . . .Best upgrade based on my current specs without breaking the bank (which operates on a shoestring, lol). NOTE: Before you ask. . .my specs are in my sig below.

I want to at least replace the Motherboard and CPU
    The Power Supply is just a few months old
    The current 16gigs of RAM are sufficient
    The Graphics Card needs a modest upgrade but that will depend. . . . .
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

My suggest is AMD Ryzen 5600X platform or Intel 12600K and motherboard with DDR4, cos DDR5 is quite expensive and availability is not so good yet.
    GPU prices is coming finally down, i suggest Nvidia RTX 3050, 3060 or AMD RX6600 serie gpu. These AMD and Intel platformas are good for many years.

Thanks for your suggestions ToniJH.

Current System Specs:

Given the number of folks who have read this post, many of whom know a bit about computers, I thought I'd get more than one reply but apparently they all agree with your suggestion. I believe that's a first!

Current System Specs:

Ed, I would go for the Intel i5 12600K with a DDR4 MoBo like TonyJH said. Although coming down, GPU prices are still sky high so I would consider re-using your old GPU in your new build for the time being. If you run FSX or P3D at 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution, high end NVidia 900 series or any 1000 series card will do the job.

EDIT: To make sure all components you want to use are compatible, I recommend to simulate your new build in the System Builder tool at pcpartpicker.com

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Ed, I would go for the Intel i5 12600K with a DDR4 MoBo like TonyJH said. Although coming down, GPU prices are still sky high so I would consider re-using your old GPU in your new build for the time being. If you run FSX or P3D at 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution, high end NVidia 900 series or any 1000 series card will do the job.

EDIT: To make sure all components you want to use are compatible, I recommend to simulate your new build in the System Builder tool at pcpartpicker.com
    Yea, I've looked at GPU's and once you get beyond the 1060 (staying with NVidia) they do get pretty pricey.

Thanks for the HU on pcpartpicker.

Current System Specs:

PCPartPicker is a great website Ed, I used it for my last build. In fact all the details are still saved on there so if you want specifics grab me on TS and I will throw you a link (I don't want to make it public as it is on my future S-I-Ls account not mine).
    Larry

Ed,

Are you sticking with FSX?

MSFS, P3D, X-Plane 11, DCS, etc. all seem to require a pretty robust computer rig to play with the big boy settings. Far beyond what I currently have, and far more than my current budget will allow for.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Just for giggles, I went to PCPartPicker and spec'ed out a system that is a duplicate of what I currently use. According to PCPartPicker, I need a 414 watt PSU, yet my system came with a 750 watt PSU that did not survive two weeks. I'm guessing that PCPartPicker is using only the minimum wattage rating of the parts to determine power needs, so beware.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I just had to upgrade my laptop because I had my backup laptop fail after using it for only a few months. I have had that backup laptop for years it just never got much use. My primary failed last October which forced me to use the backup.

That is a long story but I figured it was finally time to buy a new laptop. I have had pretty crappy service from HP and Dell laptops so I went with Asus. My previous Asus ran for over 10 years trouble free and my wife's did the same.

You might want to look at this build as it should run FSX just fine (MSFS2020 also). My old Asus ROG G72-GX ran it pretty well. I have not tried it yet with FSX although I did get it installed.

ASUS TUF Gaming F17 Gaming Laptop,

17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type,
    Intel Core i7-11800H Processor,
    GeForce RTX 3060,
    16GB DDR4,
    1TB PCIe SSD,
    Gigabit Wi-Fi 6,
    Windows 10 Home

It was on sale a few weeks ago for $1,399.99

https://www.newegg.com/tx-eclipse-gr...82E16834235961

I then had to purchase the Windows 10 pro upgrade for $99.

Finally the RAM needed to be upgraded. I wanted a minimum of 32 GB and they only had that with a smaller SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-...82E16820236681

I added to this laptop an extra SSD that I had purchased last year for my new Gaming PC build. That build got derailed by unexpected personal expenses. This drive will be the FS drive on the laptop.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digit...82E16820250114

All totaled I have just less than $2,000 invested in it.

The core purchase now @ $1,499.99 if it fits your budget should easily replace your current desktop.

There is a single HDMI port for your second monitor and if you want 2 monitors you would need to purchase a docking station to connect to the Thunderbolt port. Then you could have 2 monitors and the laptop screen connected just fine.

I still hope to build my gaming PC this year.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

GPU Availability seems to start getting better. After a year on the waitlist I finally got my eVGA RTX 3060Ti and by looking at their site it seems that other cards are now available for ordering

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    ...I have had pretty crappy service from HP and Dell laptops so I went with Asus. My previous Asus ran for over 10 years trouble free and my wife's did the same....
    That being said, how are Asus repairs handled?

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

When I bought my first one I had it just 3 days and the hard drive crapped out. I went back to best buy and because it was less than 13 days since I purchased it they gave me a new one.

That one the hard drive lasted a little over a month and died but I was prepared. I called Asus and I could either return the laptop for repair or they could ship me a new hard drive. I opted to get the new hard drive sent to me.

I had already bought one to install as the second drive in the system. That one got upgraded to primary drive and I restored an image of the drive I had created the day I finished setting it up.

The issue with the drives was they were using Seagate drives which at that time were having quality control problems. The drive I installed lasted over 10 years. the Seagate drive I was sent never did get installed. I did not trust them after that.

If I need to work on this one I will do it myself. Most laptops are not that hard to work on.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    When I bought ....
    Thanks for the additional insights.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe