Wing42's Boeing 247D released - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing42's Boeing 247D released

Oh my, tried to pursuade it to start for a quick flight last night. Managed to get the right engine running pretty much straightforward, than struggled with the left one. At some point I noticed the right engine fouling up, so I increased rpms to over 1000. Well, right engine ran hot and I had to shut it down again by pulling the mixture. That's when I noticed I never moved it away from ICO for the left engine. Feeling pretty dumb, I primed the left engine and it immediately started. Than the problems reversed and I think I overprimed the right engine producing a friction lock and destroying it (the clipboard told me it was gone for good). By that time it was 3 AM and I decided to head to bed.

Some would be frustrated and angry at that thing, but I immediately started loving it due to the fact that it did beat me. Will try again tonight.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

work in progress
    od5 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

od8 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

od12 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    You mean like this one ?

What happened with that livery?

Hmm, not sure about how to operate the engines in the air. Engine were running very cold with outside temperatures in the very normal range (50F / 10°C at 6-7000ft). CHT below 200F, oil below 100F even with the shutters fully closed. Tried increasing throttle and RPMs to gain some heat. At some point the engines gave up, one first, than the other soon after. Probably due to high oil viscosity and maybe even friction lock in the cylinders. Luckily I was just taking a tour around Cape Caneveral, so I had very very big runway right up for grabs. Oil was SAE30 which is supposed to be fine for those temperatures. Maybe I'll try an oil change and make sure it's actually this oil. With a couple of switches I had the feeling that the state saving is not 100% yet. For example when reloading the aircraft I had no luck firing the engines before cycling the magneto switches once.

I guess I'll try again today but currently I can't see how to keep the engines alive at higher altitudes or cold weather.

While I generally like the state saving a lot, for some purposed a reset / cold and dark button would be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAir View Post
    What happened with that livery?
    Coming soon,

There is a long thread about the 247D & all the trials & tribulations to do with starting/running/deep frying the engines here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...7d/468784/1042

T43

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAir View Post
    MSFS file structure and the .json files drive me nuts when I make a livery I get it
    Yes getting a stand alone texture is a real challenge.

Thank you for all the lovely repaints.

Any chance you might have this one in the pipeline?

KevinB

one more paint now available:
    we6 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

we7 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

we4 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Kevin, that one was not on my radar yet, but who knows?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

I believe it worth mentioning that the temperature gauges, both CHT and Oil, appear to be grossly wrong to the point of being useless at this time. Just concentrate on the oil pressure. If you have the correct oil type then if you are within oil pressure limits then you should be ok.

Also If you have an engine failure or crash, you may want to cycle your various fuel controls including mixture when you start a new flight. Personally I have found that if there is a problem with things being out of sync I tend to be unable to get fuel pressure until I cycle the fuel selector. If I do that and concentrate on not missing a step in the start procedure then I have no problem starting it.

I think in an effort to defend the product there is a lot of conjecture attempting to rationalize the temperature behavior and it is fun to try and figure things out, but eventually it is going to get old.

I say all this not to disparage the add on but to help with the frustration that some may find. This is a great add on worth every penny as is and hopefully will only get better.

I just hope folks running into these issues are reporting them directly to Wing42 and not just posting about them.

I couldn't restart my 247D after a crash but didn't have time to troubleshoot the problem, so I appreciate the heads-up on cycling stuff.

my next project:
    r3 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    my next project:
    r3 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Ooh, is that one of the RCAF birds? Or the one they passed on to the Brits for autopilot research?

I tried to fly again last night and still can't get my engines to start, even with easy on. I'll learn the coldstart process at some point when I have time, but have only had short moments to sim this week and have been sticking to stuff I can start on the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I just hope folks running into these issues are reporting them directly to Wing42 and not just posting about them.
    Thank you! Even if a fix is found here, it should be passed to the dev's in case they haven't seen the same thing. There was a time when SOH had an agreement with people like Ken Mitchel or Garry Smith to allow them a place to offer support, but there's nothing like that currently with any MSFS developer. If it's related to the sim itself, then the official forum is the place for actual support.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

dz9 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    I have been a loyal Simmarket customer for decades, but I cannot abide these companies forcing us to switch to an APP for their sales. I like to have a file and a code in case the retailer goes under one day I guess the solution is buy direct from the creator and bypass the resale markups

Orbx may have markups, but their app installs with no DRM. Hit the install button, then rename the folder if you want, then zip a copy as a backup. That's what I do with every purchase from them. Plus, it makes getting updates easy, since they're all in one place.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I just tried it again in the Alps, from Innsbruck via Bolzano towards Lugano. Lost one engine before reaching Bolzano, temperatures started dropping once I finished the climb over the nearest peaks. I noticed the oil pressure dropping before the engines seized, but nothing I did lead to increasing the pressure again.
    Before the flight I contacted the developer with my recent experience, maybe I'll get a reply. Could also be that I am missing something though.

One more bump as the stickie expires...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Ah well It would have helped sales and maybe driven a patch or two but We do have some military liveries now

I'll throw in one more military paint, #7635 of the RCAF:
    jk3915 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk3919 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 0