Flying Boat Ports

Thread: Flying Boat Ports

Flying Boat Ports

Hi All

Can anyone tell me where I can find the flying boat ports, that were available for the Shorts C Class flying boats a couple of years back. I think "Bendy Flyer"may be the author. I recently changed my computer, and lost quite a few scenery files. Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Catboat

Catboat - the package is here in the SOH library under FSX Civilian Addon Props - look for SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip .

I originally uploaded the scenery with the modified Shorts S23 so it is part of that package. Now that is the easy part because of the way the scenery was made using 3rd party object libraries to get all the good stuff (wharves, etc) you need quite a few libraries if you do not have them already - they are all listed in the read me documents. No matter if you do not have the libraries the scenery package will still place you in the right place and will be listed in the FSX scenery library. Another need to know is that the scenery relies on FSX users having ORBX Vector - because Vector fixes up a whole lot of map errors and problems that FSX cartography had (incorrect coastlines, islands missing etc)

Now I am still working on this flying boat scenery (bit by bit) so have done quite a few more now so it is probably time to update the package and release it here as a scenery addon on its own not sure when. I have been busy with P3DV5 and the scenery package works just fine there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    so it is probably time to update the package and release it here as a scenery addon on its own not sure when
    Yes, please

I have still a lot of place to fly to with the B314 clippers

Gérard

Many Thanks Bendy

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Catboat - the package is here in the SOH library under FSX Civilian Addon Props - look for SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip .

I originally uploaded the scenery with the modified Shorts S23 so it is part of that package. Now that is the easy part because of the way the scenery was made using 3rd party object libraries to get all the good stuff (wharves, etc) you need quite a few libraries if you do not have them already - they are all listed in the read me documents. No matter if you do not have the libraries the scenery package will still place you in the right place and will be listed in the FSX scenery library. Another need to know is that the scenery relies on FSX users having ORBX Vector - because Vector fixes up a whole lot of map errors and problems that FSX cartography had (incorrect coastlines, islands missing etc)

Now I am still working on this flying boat scenery (bit by bit) so have done quite a few more now so it is probably time to update the package and release it here as a scenery addon on its own not sure when. I have been busy with P3DV5 and the scenery package works just fine there as well.

Many Thanks Bendy,

As a water-bourne aircraft nutter, I'm looking forward to the upgrade

Thanks-yes working on it. There are approximately about 100 locations now so trying to find a way to incorporate legally a few libraries (awaiting a response from the authors for their permission to do that) to make life a bit easier. I have also been incorporating (blending in) a number of older flying boat/amphibian location and sceneries. There are a few of those about the place lurking in various older scenery packages so their location will be added in as one of the water port/flying boat bases (if you have the scenery you will see that - otherwise at least it will take you to it but in your default scenery.

Think it will have to be a Google Drive Download or similar as the package size already well and truly exceeds the limit here at SOH.

Packing it all together in one download would be great. I spent the better part of a day hunting down the various packages, and in the end still wondered if I'd gotten all of them. And then adding them all via the add-on manager was another experience. Well worth it in the end though, and very much appreciated work!

Flying Boat Scenery Package Updated and Uploaded

The updated stand alone package is now available in the library under P3D Scenery. Note you still need a lot of other stand alone libraries. I have packaged up all the libraries into files to be downloaded via Google Drive because there are some libraries that are no longer available or lost. Now the hard part there are 8 parts in that group as some libraries are over 2 GB. If you have ORBX Global and Vector you will have some stuff already. I will post a link page in the coming days to the Google Drive for folk to go and get stuff that they need!

And Downloaded

Thank You Very Much

TSquare
    Retired SMSgt USAF/TANG

My pleasure a small contribution - this package has been years in the making. I have been collecting and rebuilding a lot of old flying boat scenery going back to MS2004 simply to allow for easy flight planning you can go from place to place with your planner and to make operations easy that is you just pull up the location as an airport and off you go. I am indebted to a number of scenery folk from the 2004 days who were very keen on flying boats but alas have all dropped away from simming these days- fortunately I have them and managed to get most of them incorporated and rebuild for FSX and P3D.

My biggest frustration has been a P3D quirk where it will not recognise or show some older objects even though they are perfectly good bgl's. The matter has been thrashed about at FS Developer too - nobody has a solution (yet). For example at RAF Calshot there should be a tower at the end (it is actually a Tudor Fort and quite a local landmark) I have the object and it was placed there but will show in FSX but not in P3D .

If anybody comes up with any locations that are not included PM me and I would be more than happy to have a go at those places too - hard sometimes finding photographs of the era to give you and idea. Like Singapore not a single picture remains of the Shorts boats in Sinagpore and it took a lot of detective work with Google to find out that they took the aircraft up to RAF Seletar for maintenance if needed but they actually landed in Singapore harbour and went up a small inlet (It is now rebuilt and the location of a major stadium in Sinagpore).

Members who have read this thread: 0