Napier Sabre Recordings

Thread: Napier Sabre Recordings

Napier Sabre Recordings

This pdf I've put together may be of some interest to you guys! There are a scant few wartime recordings of Typhoons or Tempests and there are only a few which have been digitised and can be found on the web. I've collated links to all of them into one file which I hope may sate any interest you have in this interesting sound which is (currently) lost to time. It sounds most assuredly nothing like any other aero-engine. Also included are links to period recordings of Spitfires on operations in Europe - hearing the familiar note of the Merlin between bursts of Hispano cannon fire isn't half eerie...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabre_Recordings.pdf 
Views:	34 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	86578

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks very much! I wonder which sound files the new SJ_typhoon series uses . . .

Thanks for those. It seems that in the next few years this sound, and engine, will be resurrected in a Typhoon restoration I've been hearing about off and on for the last few years. I used recordings I found on the web, assumedly included here (I forget which one I used), when I did the sound package for the SJ Typhoons. Unfortunately, the high power sounds are not as good in that package, since flyby sounds can't be used due to distortion from the Doppler effect. I want to remake them once recordings of a restored Sabre are available.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Love the sounds of a 24 cylinder engine. Thanks for sharing these. Enjoyed them,such power ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 2