Aleutians UT question

Thread: Aleutians UT question

Aleutians UT question

Installing this I noted that the addons for World Scenery texture folder and the Main scenery texture folder were to be the same. This will overwrite existing textures. I was hesitant to do this fearing it would change some other parts of the CFS2 world. I have the green blocks appearing in the Aleutians, so has anyone who installed this addon had strange textures elsewhere?

Thanks
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Library Staff
    I only have the Aleutians specific textures in the Aleutians land class folders, not in the main TEXTURE folder. Everything is displaying correctly.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aleutians.jpg  

Thanks K, will try that. Hope things get better in OZ.
    PSULLYKEYS

Psullykeys

This was one of my first attempts at making scenery using G2K. In the G2K tutorial it says the scenery won't work unless the bitmap names exist in both the CFS2/SCENEDB/World/Texture & CFS2/Texture folders.

This is why you are seeing blue & green squares. CFS 2 doesn't know where to find the texture called for. IN the Aleutians I made 2 new shoreline textures. These are the 2 files contained in the two "add to" folders. They don't overwrite any existing bitmap, I created them when I made the Aleutians scenery package.

Incidentally, if prompted to overwrite, just say "no", it means a bitmap with that name already exists in the folder you are trying to paste to.

CFS2 checks texture folders in a priority order when drawing sceneries, & this can be used to our advantage.

First, it checks the texture folder of the scenery add-on itself. If it can't find it there, it checks the scenedb/world/texture folder. If it can't find it there, it checks the cfs2/texture folder.

It's possible to have bitmaps with the same name, but different appearances, in each of these locations.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Thanks UT, I've been out of the game for 10+years - very rusty.

BTW - your scenery adds are super. Never thought I'd see CFS2 look like that!

Can you recommend a tutorial for ground 2K. I finally figured out the GSL stuff. I'd like to try some scenery work.
    PSULLYKEYS

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PSULLYKEYS View Post
    Thanks K, will try that. Hope things get better in OZ.
    Thanks Sully - it is indeed the land of droughts and flooding rains - see https://www.dorotheamackellar.com.au/my-country/

These are the tutorials I have saved as pdfs. I hope you find them useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground2K_for.pdf   Ground2K_US.pdf   SC_CFS2_Ground2k_tutorial.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    These are the tutorials I have saved as pdfs. I hope you find them useful.

Most useful...thanks UT!

Sully, very glad to see you here. Yes, east coast Australia is taking more frequent beatings. We need an Agency to oversee disaster relief and mitigation.

Kdriver- nice looking site. I'll check it out - thanks.
    Thanks UT, lemme see what I'm up against.
    Michael: Oz needs an agency similar to FEMA in the USA - Federal Emergency Management Agency - used for all emergencies, each state applies to agency for relief, or President declares which states are included after (usually) weather disasters - hurricanes, forest fires etc. The agency has an annual budget, and contracts with appropriate regional private emergency companies with trained manpower, equipment and materials. There is cooperation between electric and telephone/cable provider to send personnel and equipment to hard hit areas. Such cooperation exists between states with forest firefighter agencies. I hope Oz gets over its troubles.
    PSULLYKEYS

Members who have read this thread: 1