AH DC-3 Releasing March, 2022? - Page 17
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: AH DC-3 Releasing March, 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    IMHO, what you want is the latest Duckworks DC-3 enhancement files. The first enhancement edition i have no problem anymore with the plane veering off of the runway during landing. Quite a relief as it spoiled all the fun it is flying a DC-3. Still a bit 'juvenile' in the pitch department but i have great confident in the guys at Duckworks.

If you search for DC-3 over at flightsim.to it will probabely be the first file you'll stumble over. "Duckworks DC-3 Improvement Mod" date 9 December (important)

I'd love to know about that too ! ( i have a feeling fat chance... ;-)

cheers,
    Jan
    Did you use your tailwheel lock when landing Jan?

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Here you go, Dave : https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1340...5%3A1340699540

I'm sorry i can't seem to get the US Etsy website going because i am in the Netherlands. So if this link doesn't work for you search for Etsy and once there search for Honeycomb Bravo Throttle DC-3/C-47 levers.

Possibly this might work better for you: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FlightSimFactory

They are a bit pricey atleast for me because of shipping (from Canada i believe). Obviously it's 'just' 3D printed stuff but still looks nice enough to fumble around with flying our virtual DC-3.

Btw, they have 'em for the DC-6 as well.

Good luck!
    thank you sir! got it open. i appreciate the help!

Yesterday I did a session where I did many touch and goes in the DC-3 to explore techniques to have uneventful landings in the aircraft. With tail wheel lock on and no crosswind I found doing the brake dance on rollout to not be a problem.
    As with many aircraft in MSFS when you have a crosswind that's when the fun begins.

The manual for the real C-47 suggests a wheel landing in a crosswind and after trying all 3 techniques I found that to be true.

The real trouble for me begins when transitioning from rolling out on the main wheels to when the tail wheel touches down.

It is hard to keep the aircraft perfectly strait when rolling out in a crosswind, and when that tail wheel touches down where ever the nose is pointed is where the tail wheel lock is going to want to send you. At this point you are fighting the wind and the tail wheel lock to correct your heading.

I have found some success with leaving the tail wheel lock off for crosswind landings.

I also found that approaching the rollout like you did int the A2A T-6 helps a lot. Getting on heading corrections early with many taps of the brake and moderate rudder jabs is way more effective than waiting to make dramatic inputs later.

I love an aircraft that makes you pay attention to technique and I love this add on, it has exceeded my expectations to a large degree. I would love it if a C-46 could be done to the same quality level. Anyway just food for thought JB

@c525b

See official FAA certificate: http://www.douglasdc3.com/faa/a-669.pdf
    Last edited by mgr; December 14th, 2022 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    Yesterday I did a session where I did many touch and goes in the DC-3 to explore techniques to have uneventful landings in the aircraft. With tail wheel lock on and no crosswind I found doing the brake dance on rollout to not be a problem.
    As with many aircraft in MSFS when you have a crosswind that's when the fun begins.

The manual for the real C-47 suggests a wheel landing in a crosswind and after trying all 3 techniques I found that to be true.

The real trouble for me begins when transitioning from rolling out on the main wheels to when the tail wheel touches down.

It is hard to keep the aircraft perfectly strait when rolling out in a crosswind, and when that tail wheel touches down where ever the nose is pointed is where the tail wheel lock is going to want to send you. At this point you are fighting the wind and the tail wheel lock to correct your heading.

I have found some success with leaving the tail wheel lock off for crosswind landings.

I also found that approaching the rollout like you did int the A2A T-6 helps a lot. Getting on heading corrections early with many taps of the brake and moderate rudder jabs is way more effective than waiting to make dramatic inputs later.

I love an aircraft that makes you pay attention to technique and I love this add on, it has exceeded my expectations to a large degree. I would love it if a C-46 could be done to the same quality level. Anyway just food for thought JB
    I think the best source is the real manual. About the Vne etc the engine doesn't have that much to do with it because it's all about the structure of the airframe and its capabilities. This part is always the same, although there may be differences between versions, but certainly not as much as 100 kts, e.g. It would probably be worth looking at the detailed real photos of the gauges depending on the version and engine, plus check this information with the manual. I haven't dug that deep to check it honestly in this model.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Joe - in a real 3, you would never land with the TW lock off, crosswind or not. Your feet should and WILL be very busy, and make sure she's straight when that TW comes down. Watch the end of the runway ahead of you and correct for ANY wandering immediately. A 3 and an 18 are both a hand full in crosswinds. You can also play with differential power as well - higher power on the upwind engine, but it takes practice.

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Did you use your tailwheel lock when landing Jan?
    On and Off, yessir !

The latest Duckworks mod makes it easy to have Tailwheel Lock On. Before i also tried without tailwheel lock to have more control over keeping it on the runway during landing. No problemo anymore, do it the right way now easy peasy !
    Thanks much again and again, Barry !!

You have no idea how happy you've made this simple flightsimmer by bringing back his ever loving DC-3 in MSFS. And that's even without the special DC-3 Bravo TQ throttle, prop and mixture levers he's waiting on with bated breath !!

May i ask was that *with* or *without* any of the DC-3 mods, Joe Bob ?...

Thanks!

No mods except the one that adds the amphibious model

Personally, I don't use it either, I'm of the opinion that the model should be so good that no mods are needed. Keep an eye out for any problems (report it!) and just wait for a patch. Mods sometimes improve something, but they also break other things, and in the case of updates, they usually stop working.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Personally, I don't use it either, I'm of the opinion that the model should be so good that no mods are needed. Keep an eye out for any problems (report it!) and just wait for a patch. Mods sometimes improve something, but they also break other things, and in the case of updates, they usually stop working.
    Agreed 150%! Especially on this model which is a beauty. When do you remember we've ever had a DC-3 of this quality native to the sim itself? Free of charge?

I can only hope that AH make enough money out of it. Knowing M$ though, I have my doubts.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Agreed 150%! Especially on this model which is a beauty. When do you remember we've ever had a DC-3 of this quality native to the sim itself? Free of charge?I can only hope that AH make enough money out of it. Knowing M$ though, I have my doubts.Priller
    With the game reaching over 10 million players across all platforms, they will make money. It also acts as a gateway to their other products given the reputation. Got Friends has figured this out.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Btw. Found in the net https://dakotasim.com/ for DC-3 lovers.

Does anyone use this plane with both the GotFriends 40th Anniversary Expansion Pack and the Duckworks mod at the same time?

I like the GotFriends for the different variants of the Beaver and DC-3 that it adds, but it includes flight model tweaks for the DC-3, which I'm worried may conflict with the Duckworks. But the Duckworks is a more comprehensive flight model mod and I would prefer to use them together if the Duckworks flight model overrode that of the GotFriends.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Does anyone use this plane with both the GotFriends 40th Anniversary Expansion Pack and the Duckworks mod at the same time?

I like the GotFriends for the different variants of the Beaver and DC-3 that it adds, but it includes flight model tweaks for the DC-3, which I'm worried may conflict with the Duckworks. But the Duckworks is a more comprehensive flight model mod and I would prefer to use them together if the Duckworks flight model overrode that of the GotFriends.

August
    It was my understanding that the GotFriends add on is an expansion not a mod. It does not modify the flight dynamics.
    I believe they changed the default behavior to simulate the increased drag with the floats on the float plane for example but the original aircraft are unchanged.
    That was my understanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Agreed 150%! Especially on this model which is a beauty. When do you remember we've ever had a DC-3 of this quality native to the sim itself? Free of charge?

I can only hope that AH make enough money out of it. Knowing M$ though, I have my doubts.

Priller
    I have no doubt that this was a good business move that will pay off in the long run. I think it is the best Airplane Heaven add on I have had and I will look at them in a different light with new releases.

I am sure work has begun on a C-46 since I suggested it earlier in the thread, I have begun trips to the blood bank as often as the overly cautious minimum interval rules will allow so that I will have saved up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post

August
    Yes...they work fine together. Been using them both for weeks.

Garry

no liveries

hi all, could have sworn id seen this talked about,but for the life of me,i cant find it. but when i put the DC-3 in the hanger, each one have a checker board look,with silver lines in areas, i dont have a screen shot of it, can work on it tomorrow. but anyone know what i mean? i havent loaded it for a flight as yet. but i was disappointed to see how it looks in the hanger.i dont have the issue with any other planes but the DC-3/C-47

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    hi all, could have sworn id seen this talked about,but for the life of me,i cant find it. but when i put the DC-3 in the hanger, each one have a checker board look,with silver lines in areas, i dont have a screen shot of it, can work on it tomorrow. but anyone know what i mean? i havent loaded it for a flight as yet. but i was disappointed to see how it looks in the hanger.i dont have the issue with any other planes but the DC-3/C-47
    Check the Marketplace that you have all corrent updates for MSFS and DC-3. You need to download DC-3 from your profile too as separate file (as I remember).

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Check the Marketplace that you have all corrent updates for MSFS and DC-3. You need to download DC-3 from your profile too as separate file (as I remember).
    yeah, i deleted both, and reinstalled, its fine now..

Good to know !

Aha, thank you !

Well, if you can keep the old lady straight on the runway once the tailwheel is down with the virgin flightmodel my cap is off to you !

And thanks for you landing comments. Very interesting !

Btw. I have only one modification, because the model does not close the flaps and always flies with 5 degrees open, so I use this:

[FLAPS_LEVELS]
    flaps_level_1 =0
    flaps_level_2 =5
    flaps_level_3 =10
    flaps_level_4 =15
    flaps_level_5 =20
    flaps_level_6 =25
    flaps_level_7 =30
    flaps_level_8 =35
    flaps_level_9 =40
    flaps_level_10 =45

more info: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...tracted/561169 .

Few skins idea (for cargo version):

I liked dirtes and scratches! :- )

+ extra:

talk about coincidence, look what just emerged from my paint shed:
    BB (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

BB (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

BB (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

BB (0011) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Members who have read this thread: 4