Still playing with the ez scenery I've roughed up Netheravon's satellite field Shrewton; only 120 Officers/men were stationed here;
it was largely a flying training airfield used by aeroplanes from Netheravon as far as I can establish there weren't that many tails actually on the site; was used by Fairey Battles of 15 SFTS before being allocated as a glider training field. Closed in 1946 and returned to farmland

Attachment 86443

and nearby Tilshead airstrip; opened in 1925 , effectively closed in 1941, in 1940 was home to Lysanders of 225 and 16 Sqn flying photo reconnaissance. However ; reports say that there were two L4's at the strip in 1945-46 at the disposal of US Army unit that had taken over the camp.

The main camp was huts adjacent to the big house ,Tilshead Lodge which became briefly HQ for Glider Pilot Regiment; although no glider flying was done there that was done at Netheravon The big house was demolished sometime in 1950's ; while the camp was bulldozed in 1982 (I remember that) ; just a water tower remains today the site is largely within the Army Salisbury Plain training area nowadays.

Attachment 86444

ttfn

Pete