Hit a snag on the scenery front

Thread: Hit a snag on the scenery front

Hit a snag on the scenery front

Something strange has happen'd. most of my scenery tools dont recognize my FS9 install's anymore. EZ Scenery work's but Sbuilder and ADE9 are in the dark. Im guessing its to do with me purchasing and installing FSX Steam (which im not sure i like yet ) but i dont see why it should, all my SDK 's are in place and Fsuipc is in place. Sorry Dave, cant do the poly for Windrush at the moment until i figure it out

It's been years since I last used ADE but with the addition of FSX:SE is it possible the path to your sim of choice in ADE is now pointing to FSX instead of FS9? IIRC there used to be a switch within the ADE options somewhere to select the active sim you were working on much like having to select the required sim in FS Panel Studio before it would work.
    Larry

Try running the apps as an Administrator
    ( right clicky- select run as administrator) see if that works its what I had to do to get AFCAD working

Ttfn

Pete

Icon5

Ian,
    Poss the Steam FSX install has changed registry settings to do with Microsoft products. Have you made sure the settings in those scenery progs all point to the correct Fs9 location (as Larry said), I would check and re-do that first.

Or, as these are small scenery progs, you could just uninstall and re-install them, which should correct the issue.

Cheers

Shessi

Ian,

I use a tool I got a while back at a website called TweakFS. Not sure if I can put links to other places here, but if you just do a search for TweakFS you should get the site.

Just go to the freeware stuff and there is a registry tool at version 1.4 dated 2007 for FS2004.

Easy to use to make sure the registry for FS9 is set properly.

I agree with Shessi: if the options, registry, or path setting checks don't work, you may have to just reinstall ADE and SBuilder9. (I'm still using the older version of SBuilder, not SBuilderX, but should be the same). I had the same issue when I got FSX-SE a few years back, but I honestly can't remember what I did to fix the issue. I think I may have had to reinstall both programs, but not sure.

Jorge

PS: Not sure how you do your airfields, but I use an image in ADE which I then use in SBuilder9. I first scale the image in ADE. After that I check to see if I have to rotate it into position. If I do, I write down the degrees I rotated it and then rotate the image by the same value in an image program. I then reload the image and scale it again to the proper size. Next I take the "+" markers/helpers and place one each at the top-left and bottom-right corners of the edited image. I then make a text file with the same name as the image and grab the coordinates from the "+" markers. This is the calibration file for SBuilder9. I then delete the image in ADE and reload it using corner coordinates in the dialog. I then have the image in the exact same place (coordinates and scale) in both tools, so anything I do in one is exactly the same in the other.

Thanks guy's, the obvious thing to do first is reinstall both progs and take it from there there easy enough to install and only take a few mins each, just need to back-up a few things first.

Hi Jorge, i too use background images in ADE, its really easy to do, but using background images in SBuilder remains a mystery, its something i just cant figure out, i can usually work around it anyway so its not really a big issue, but i would like to figure it out one day

Ian,

I know what you mean! It took me a while to figure it out too!

Eventually I figured out that images are "maps" in SBuilder9. Just click on the "Map" button and then left-click anywhere on the white area. Then just right-click to exit the mode.

Next the map is "calibrated" using a simple text file using the top-left and bottom-right corner of the map. The format of the text file is this:

[GEOGRAPHIC]
    North=
    South=
    West=
    East=

That's all you need to calibrate. DON'T USE THE FUNCTION IN THE PROGRAM. Just make a text file ahead of time with the lat/lon information from ADE and then place the text file in the same folder as the image/map you will be using. That way all you need to do when the "calibrate" dialog comes up is just hit "OK" and you're done. One thing I do is add a comment with ";" in front of the line where I write down the ARP coordinates. I can then use this as a reference for the "class grid" option in the dialog when I'm creating and saving the file. Mine look something like this:

[GEOGRAPHIC]
    North=33.878273632
    South=33.865559065
    West=35.487814421
    East=35.507091151

; Bir Hassan, Beirut, Lebanon
    ; ARP
    ; North: 33.883333333
    ; South: 35.483333333

The text file with the info MUST-MUST-MUST have the same name as the "map" or image that you are going to use. If the image is "Iwakuni_Map_1940.bmp" then the text file MUST also have "Iwakuni_Map_1940.txt" as the name.

Also notice the placement of the "West" before the "East" in the format. That's because it's, "top, bottom, left, right," limits of the image/map and not necessarily any particular coordinate. You get a better idea of this when you use any of the grid lines (such as "F3" for the LOD13 lines).

My best advise to make this work is to make sure you have the corners of the map image from ADE using the crosshair helpers and then copy the coordinates to the text file you will use for the SBuilder9 map/image. Then use those same numbers to reload the image in ADE by checking the coordinate dialog check-box. If you look at the layout of the coordinates there, they are the same as above. The top-left box is "North," the bottom left is "South," the top-right is "West," and the bottom-right is "East."

NOTE: Remember that if you have to rotate the image in ADE, you have to edit/rotate the image by the same amount in a graphics editor and then reload into ADE and do the process all over again for sizing.

As for the map images in SBuilder9, the regular image map is the one you just place for reference. It MUST-MUST-MUST be in 24-bit format. I just save it again by opening and saving with the imagetool program in the FS2004 SDK after I do al the things I need to do to it for ADE.

The landclass maps/images MUST-MUST-MUST be in 32-bit format, though I don't use those a much unless I'm trying to regress an entire area.

I've never used any of the mesh functions since I've never messed with mesh. Rhumflabby's done more than enough with those!

I can send you some stuff I've already done if you want to get a better idea of how to get the maps to work. Just remember that when you are in "edit" mode it remains in that mode until you change the mode manually in the ribbon (Edit drop-down) or you right-click anywhere on the map. Once you right-click you are done with the mode you were in. It's a little different than most programs, but after a while you get used to it.

Thanks for all the wonderful scenery over the years! If there's anything I can do to help just drop me an e-mail.

Regards,

Jorge

Well what i thought would be a simple 5 min fix is turning out to be rather frustrating. Every scenery program, even after reinstalling, seems to be directed to FSX Steam. ADE demands "shp2vec" which is in the FSX SDK pack only, and SBuilder tells me FS9 is missing even after ive fired it up and been flying around in FS9 for hours. Ive uninstalled FSX Steam ( if i cant tinker with it, i dont want it ) but the problems persist, so Steam has bugger'd with the registry somehow, which is a bit out of my skill set

PS the Hawaii stuff is safe at the moment

PPS, one lesson ive learn is that FS9 still has a lot to offer, i can live without FSX but i really enjoy messing with 9

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Well what i thought would be a simple 5 min fix is turning out to be rather frustrating. Every scenery program, even after reinstalling, seems to be directed to FSX Steam. ADE demands "shp2vec" which is in the FSX SDK pack only, and SBuilder tells me FS9 is missing even after ive fired it up and been flying around in FS9 for hours. Ive uninstalled FSX Steam ( if i cant tinker with it, i dont want it ) but the problems persist, so Steam has bugger'd with the registry somehow, which is a bit out of my skill set

PS the Hawaii stuff is safe at the moment

PPS, one lesson ive learn is that FS9 still has a lot to offer, i can live without FSX but i really enjoy messing with 9

Flight One have a registry fixer for free on their website, doddle to use, point it at your fs9 it does the rest

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Ttfn

Pete

Try'd that, doesn't work. Thanks anyway

Ian,
    There is a way but it means messing around with Windows registry, which I don't think you'll want to do.

One way though, is through a using a restore point, one that's before the Steam installation. Not something I like to recommend, but should cure the problem. and you'll be a happy bunny again.....

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Mark, i'd forgotten about that, will give a try

Edit, dont think that'll work, im only given 2 restore points, both after the problems started

and ive posted over at FS Developer ( always a last resort for me )

Ian,

Perhaps not so bad you can't use the restore option. I have tried this option twice and in both cases it actually caused more problems than it solved. I think the options is nice when you immediately want to restore your registry after you noticed you made mistake at the moment you made it. But with today's auto updates, auto settings saves etc. it won't work after a week anymore.

And like you said FS9 is definitely the better Flight Simulator for those who modify instead of fly

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon5

Yes, restore point is not to be used lightly, but would have gotten you out of the hole...

Have you got an ordinary version of FSX on disc as well? If so, you could try installing that, then see if the scenery progs point to that install/version. If it does, then you could uninstall it and see if that clears the registry settings, allowing re-connection to Fs9.

Shessi

Problems sorted, got a reply to my post at FS Developer, recommended using NMGSimulations registry fixer and all seems ok now. i previously try'd the Flight 1 version but that didnt work, I'll remember next time

Phew! glad you got it sorted, I bet you're relieved lol.

Useful to know the fix.

Cheers

Shessi

Glad you were able to solve it Ian . Personally I'm quite happy with the steam version of FSX, but I don't do complex things with dedicated software like you do...

Cheers,
    Huub

Glad you got things sorted out, Ian!

Just grabbed the NMG fixer. That makes (3) that I have now in case I need to use them.

Jorge

Like others have said I am glad you got it sorted Ian and thanks for the tip to the NMGSimulations registry fixer, I too grabbed it just in case.

Just so people are aware Win 10 can do some funky stuff with registry items and it's not just software related, hardware can be affected too.

I recently came back to flight simming after almost a year away and set up my sims again on a new computer build (new CPU, MoBo, RAM, SSDs, etc) when I hit issues. I had problems with USB devices being forgotten/not seen and I would lose either my USB headset so I would have to reset it in TeamSpeak or I would lose either the twin throttles or the joystick on my HOTAS. The latter was always a pain as it meant I had to set up all the axes and buttons again in the pro version of FSUIPC. Strangely my racing wheel, pedals, stick shifter and switch box I use in driving sims were always seen and never caused an issue.

I did some research and found an old thread on a forum going back to sometime in 2014 which talked about lost USB registry entries and recommending a small utility from a different forum. Thankfully the link still worked and the attachment in the original post was still active and I was able to grab the utility. It is a tiny program that shows what USB devices you have connected and what registry 'slot' they are currently assigned to. All you have to do then is grab an item and move it to an empty slot and then move it back to it's original slot and that is enough for the program to correctly register that device to that slot. I did all my flight sim devices (HOTAS, rudder pedals and headset) and then closed out of the program and tested and everything worked perfectly and has continued to work perfectly ever since!

If anyone is interested the utility is called 'JoyIDs' and it can be found here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=13009
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0