Prescription lenses for VR headsets....

Thread: Prescription lenses for VR headsets....

Prescription lenses for VR headsets....

When I bought my Samsung Odyssey headset when it first hit the market, years ago. Until now, the only way that I could use the headset was to wear contact lenses, which for me were not at all comfortable.

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a forum thread that mentioned a company called VROptician. They specialize in prescription lenses for VR headsets. I ordered a pair, and they arrived this afternoon.

I installed the lenses and did a few touch and goes out of NAS Whidbey in a Super Bug. I am amazed at what I've been missing! I mean, flying in desktop view is nice, but in VR? WOWSER!

NC

Obviously you're much more familiar with this VR stuff than I am. Is this headset compatible with a joystick controller and a desktop PC?

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Obviously you're much more familiar with this VR stuff than I am. Is this headset compatible with a joystick controller and a desktop PC?
    Hey TarpsBird,

A VR headset takes the place of a monitor, except that it gives you the feeling of being IN the sim; not just looking at it. As for the controllers, they are used the same. If you're like me, when holding the controllers, you already know by feel what the various buttons/sliders do. Works great. NC

Thanks, Chief.

I've been considering prescription lenses for my headsets as well. Your post has me pulling out my wallet.

While I wear contacts 90% of the time, there are times when I'll need to take a break from them and use my glasses for week or so. So having one of my Oculus headsets using prescription lenses will be great.

BTW, I also highly recommend to anyone who has not yet tried a VR and is interested -- get one! Heck, an Oculus Quest2 is now about $300 and with a Link cable, it can be used with PC gaming very nicely.

And for anyone who is still flying in FSX, you can enjoy true VR flying as well using Flyinside: https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Before I got MSFS, I used Flyinside a lot... in fact I still enjoy VR FSX flying occasionally, especially as my many addons remain unavailable in MSFS.

KevinB

================

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    When I bought my Samsung Odyssey headset when it first hit the market, years ago. Until now, the only way that I could use the headset was to wear contact lenses, which for me were not at all comfortable.

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a forum thread that mentioned a company called VROptician. They specialize in prescription lenses for VR headsets. I ordered a pair, and they arrived this afternoon.

I installed the lenses and did a few touch and goes out of NAS Whidbey in a Super Bug. I am amazed at what I've been missing! I mean, flying in desktop view is nice, but in VR? WOWSER!

NC

i wonder which prescription? i have my normal glasses which are bi-focals,main part for general use,then the bottom for reading,but i also have glasses for computor use.

my point i was going for below was that i tried using glasses in the headset,didnt work and i cant use contacts.loaned my setup to my nephew and his boys until i found a place i could use it again..i bought the boat..so they were going to be able to use it for awhile,i dont remember what i paid..but i know it was closer to a grand than 300.anyway kids (my nephew was 36 at the time) will be kids and they broke the headset within a month of having it...never told me until id said i was moving to utah and wanted to take it with me.

i had an oculus VR setup in 2018 or so, about the time i had all the sensors set up and the entire thing working,i came down with infectious bacterial pneumonia, girl at the drs office was askin me all sorts of stupid questions about why i needed to see the dr,mind you i was so sick i could barely even speak,one thing that was happening was when i tried to speak,,id begin coughing.anyway,she saked,does your throat hurt at all? i answered "yes,with the coughing,vomiting,and everything,yes my throat hurts", so she wrote that i was sure i had strep throat,i didnt know this,the nurse was trying to get a culture of my throat,but everytime she tried id begin coughing.she got angry with me and the dr came in..full of angry female attitude, id heard the nurse say..why do men do this,complain about sh*t,we try to help them,then they whine and complain about that,im done with him...dr comes in as i said,and is on the verge of yelling at me,did give me a lecture about having called in with a specific complaint,yet im not co-operating to figure it out.. im now angry,but we get the swab done,about 45 minutes later she comes in even more angry,and tells me...your tesrt is negitive ,you need to leave,,i stopped her and said...since when does a throat culture tell you if i have pneumonia or not ? she stopped in her tracks,snaps.." pneumonia?? YOU called in complaining,falsely that you had strep throat!!! now you think its pneumonia?.. you need to leave,if you want make an appointment for next friday.." this was friday. when i said i had never said anything about strep throat...the call taker did..but i neer said it..at that point she just said she wasnt interested and i needed to leave and find a new drs group. btw,by that next friday i was so sick i could not even get out of bed..i could make it to the bathroom for a BM,but i couldnt keep anything down but liquids and i was using a hospital urinal and at this point my mom was now sick with it..she ended up dying,at 80 years old of pneumonia two weeks later,i filed a complaint with the California medical board ,this dr got into big trouble over it,and unusually,they (the drs) had audio of my call to make the appointment,i had told the gal 4 times..4 mind you,times that i thought i had pneumonia. they said it sounded as if she were trying to direct the conversation to strep throat,and there had been a rash of strep throat complaints so she was sure its what i had...she got fired and the nurse and dr were both suspended for 2 months each. this dr was the head dr of the group for the auburn cal offices,she ended up being fired a year later for other complaints to the medical board.bottom line arrogance killed my mom...

my god whats wrong with me??

Daveroo,

When I ordered my prescription lenses, VrOptician specifically stated I needed to provide them with my Nearsighted prescription data. NC

NC thank you sir!!

I can 2nd VROptician... very satisfied with the results. I have bifocal contacts and lenses. The "reader" part of my bifocals messes with the VR projection, which is distance only. Things are much better (and more comfortable) with the correction mounted to the VR headset.

Members who have read this thread: 0