C-43 in MSFS 2020

Thread: C-43 in MSFS 2020

C-46 in MSFS 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CrezDqWLLc

Looks like someone has put the JF/AH C-46 through Blender.
    T43
    Last edited by Twice43; February 8th, 2022 at 13:13. Reason: #

Quite a good conversion - seems the guages work. Did not know you could do that with Blender.

Almost convinced me to reinstall MSFS but then - I noted the bizarre behaviour when the brakes are applied at the end taxyway at about 04.30 - tail shot up in the air then plopped down again - hmmmm! More work needed by Asobo it seems on tail draggers. If that had happened in real life you probably would have busted the tailwheel and buckled more than some ribs in the empenage!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Quite a good conversion - seems the guages work. Did not know you could do that with Blender.

Almost convinced me to reinstall MSFS but then - I noted the bizarre behaviour when the brakes are applied at the end taxyway at about 04.30 - tail shot up in the air then plopped down again - hmmmm! More work needed by Asobo it seems on tail draggers. If that had happened in real life you probably would have busted the tailwheel and buckled more than some ribs in the empenage!
    When I get my 43's & 46's sorted out

There is a slew of what looks like a Blendered version of the Jahn/Visser C-47 flying in MSFS 2020 YouTube videos.
    So some people have figured out the transformation but aren't/can't make the output available.
    T43

Looks like a typical legacy conversion, don't see any need for Blender.

The video is 15 months old, lots of folks were porting over planes at that time. The sim was just 3 months old then and there were not a lot of good native planes. Sim updates since them have broken many of them, they're getting harder to do, the tools have stopped being updated. I don't hear much about converting planes any more.

Bendy, Asobo has improved the taildragger handling a little in the 15 months since that vid was made, but it's still awful compared with P3D.

August

Interesting - As I mostly fly either a tail dragger (lots of these old birds) or classic flying boats (think PBY or Shorts) or a classic jet (DC9 DC10 VC10 etc) (probably in that order) none of these are catered for by MSFS in any way or in a way as with the tail draggers, that is competently done or has accurate flight dynamics and in a way that can come close to P3D either for realism. Forget the gee whizz graphics (looks a bit Leggoish to me at times) i prefer the realism thanks!

I agree with you. Those types are all better in P3D than MSFS, for different reasons. For taildraggers, P3D is better because of the flight (and ground) dynamics. For the large flying boats and airliners, you lose most of the scenery-peeping benefits in MSFS because you have just those small flight deck windows to look out of and are mostly focused on the cockpits. P3D did cockpits better than MSFS does. The way you could pop up instruments, sub-panels, GPS, AP, etc. was way better than spraining your neck trying to see them or hunting for the right cockpit view in MSFS. A few of the glass displays can be popped out into their own window but it's a frame rate killer.

I wouldn't give up MSFS, every time I switch to it from P3D I think "wow, this looks so much better" but then when I switch back to P3D I think "wow, this flies so much better."

August

That I think is just about everyone's rock n hard place. I got MSFS when it first arrived. I also used to some development work for model developers - that is all gone now! I used to real life pilot training military and civil so been involved in simulators and aeroplanes (big/small, piston/turbine) all my working life, well that's all a bit of bust too thanks to Covid and other stuff. Now it is clear to me that P3D and MSFS are now going in very different directions. At the moment we have the capacity to carry over decades of simulator modelling (aeroplanes and scenery) into P3D - will that hold out - I am not sure because it is clear that underlying P3D is a very complex programming environment aimed at commercial training users - not hobbiests and in that game they do not use payware developer products but the manufacturers do it for them then use P3D as the platform!.

As for MSFS my biggest issues is frustration and dissapointment. Frustration that they went down the online(X-Box) high capacity download internet connectivity route. That is a bust for a lot of folk simply because internet services and capacity vary widely across the globe. Good luck to those who have it by I do not and I am unlikely too (and that is a whole separate story in itself) so I am capacity and speed limited - thus the deliver model of MS for MSFS is not viable or feasible (Try 3-4 days to get the basic simulator program down and loaded - you will see what I mean). Second ASOBO for reasons best know to themselves decided to reinvent the wheel with respect to flight modelling or dynamics indeed the basic simulator engine functionality. The result aeroplanes models that fly unrealistically, gauges or instrumentation that do not function correctly and a general lack of portability. Now if the developers manage to get it nearly right ASOBO update the sim (because it is a WIP) and everyone is back to square one. After a decade of patching and tweaking and fiddling with the sim with FSX I have no stomach to repeat the exercise with MSFS.

Bonus is that LM have really dragged FSX into the modern era, 64 bit DX12 etc and within limits that means all my legacy stuff has ported across or was tweaked for P3DV4 onwards. I cannot tell the difference graphically at any moderate simulated altitude and quite frankly in some geographical areas older scenery done by some fine developers actually looks better in P3D than it does in MSFS. I went out and bought the best PC and Graphics card I could about a year ago with the aim of MSFS - not to be - but it sure sings with P3D - so that is where I will stay for quite a while and watch the MSFS show from the sidelines.

Members who have read this thread: 0