VKB Gladiator Stick + THQ set-up

Thread: VKB Gladiator Stick + THQ set-up

Blog Entries

VKB Gladiator Stick + THQ set-up

Hello all,

I treated myself last year and bought a VKB Gladiator stick - https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=...combat-edition

It came with a tiny little throttle axis switch, which has been the sole disappointment. For the money, it's been a solid, stiff stick, with a convincingly realistic level of look and feel in every other sense.

So given how happy I was with the stick, when their addon throttle was announced, I jumped right on it, and now I have this: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=...tension-module . The units physically mate, and then have an internal solution that connects the two. I flashed the new firmware, calibrated using their proprietary tool, then proceeded to begin mapping functions in the sim (P3Dv4.5 in my case, but follows a near identical mechanism to FSX).

This is the first instance of owning a multi unit combo setup like this, so I was confused when there appeared 2 identical instances of the stick in the device menu. Is that normal? Does the sim see a stick and a throttle -each with it's own set of axes and buttons - or just a single unit with a bunch of axes and buttons?

Anyone who's used the VKB products with FSX and/or P3D with perspective - your input would be invaluable.

thx,

dl

Only commenting to keep the thread current in my view. I also have the J/S and am 99% impressed as are you. I program through FSUIPC so the throttle can be discounted, I use an old Saitek X52 Throttle in FSX. Didn't know about the Quadrant which seems reasonably priced. It must be better built than the equivalent Saitek which I have (cheap yet quite xxxy components).

I look forward to seeing how this thread plays out.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Still dealing with the THQ that refuses to behave:

I setup my axes, buttons, etc. Then, every time I either change to a new plane, or I shut the sim down and come back, some axes settings are lost from what I had designated and reset to what I assume is default.

Affected axes are

1) in normal sim mode, the right-hand-most THQ lever, which I program as "Engine 1 prop" gets reset to roll/aileron (x-axis).
    2) In slew mode, hitting "y" instantly induces lateral/sideways translation to the left. I can fix this by going into the controls, axis assignments, slew mode tab and removing the offending axis that causes this, but again, that only lasts for that plane, and/or that sim session.

Changing aircraft and/or shutting down and starting a new sim session causes me to the aforementioned settings. Throttle axis settings on THQ, axes on Gladiator and button assignments on both THQ and Gladiator are unaffected, and remain slaved to my intended assignments.

I've got the firmware uploaded correctly (I think) and all the stated steps to detect and calibrate. Screenshots as requested in another thread.

Pics of the setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vkb-dlo-screen-2.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	86532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vkb-dlo-screen-1.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	86533

Not getting much help from VKB, alas.

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be superb.

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0