A relaxed RTW or McRobertson flight?

Thread: A relaxed RTW or McRobertson flight?

Hybrid View

A relaxed RTW or McRobertson flight?

Is there any interest in a more relaxed RTW or something like roughly following the MacRobertson race's route?

Not a race, but trying to keep somebody in the air as much as possibly while making our way around the world.
    Flying as people people are available. See where we end up.

I know I haven't been around this place for years, but I didn't expect it to be this... quiet... around here.

Really?

Nobody?

C'mon, I'll even start us off.
    First flight: London to Nice (EGLL-LFMN) in a DC-6

Had a brisk crosswind on takeoff blow me sideways pretty much instantly. Further complication was that the RPM on prop 1 decided to play silly games and get stuck, despite having 0 hours on the engine and prop. It got fixed by shutting the engine down and restarting it in flight.
    Other than that a nice quiet flight over France with some Nice views of the French Alps on the way.

https://youtu.be/_vZXiyXPs78

So the baton is free at LFMN. Who takes it up from here?

I'm not an on-line flyer (anymore), but I enjoyed your video

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Panaka, hope you are doing well.

The SOH RTWR/online presence has scattered to the wind. A lot of folks retired or moved on to other pursuits. I have not flown online with anyone in nearly a year but that has more to do with limited time than losing faith.

I think a contributing factor is the multiple flying sims that are available (FS9/FSX/PD3/DCS/MSFS and others). New and established simmers have settled into their respective areas. Not like the old days when FS9 and FSX accounted for nearly all the developer and community interest. If a new race/event were to be presented, it would have to work between several of the different platforms. That would be tough.

That said, I might fly a leg or two towards Melbourne for old times sake. The MacRobertson races we hosted in years past were some of my favorite times.

Moze
    Last edited by Moses03; February 17th, 2022 at 19:01.

I have footage for another leg to Kefalonia (LGKF) in a P-38L, but I've caught a bug. Don't know if it's THE Bug, but between the fever and headache I don't feel like editing it into something coherent.

A race leg in DCS could be interesting. Just watch out for that SA-10 site.

I wasn't trying for a serious race. Just something to get anybody interested flying again. Don't have to do it online, as the original RTW didn't require it either.
    Even if all the chatter in the Netwings server chatbox was part of the fun. Plenty of the talk and planning happened here.

Just now saw this. I would be interested in a "Relaxed McRobertson" event. No duenna (don't think it works with MSFS anyway). It would be interesting to see how the new sim could be integrated into these events.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

BUMP

Wondering if some sort of Timer in Sim would work, like the Stopwatch used in the DC-3 World Rally? A Screenshot of the Start with the Stopwatch @ 0:00, then a Screenie at the conclusion with the Stopwatch showing Flight Time? Of course, we would operate on the 'Honor' system.

Is there a Timer that works as a Gauge for the other Sim Platforms?

Maybe we could start out simple, like a recreation of the Bendix Air Race from LA to Cleveland like what was done years ago, or something similar?

Oh, and another option for 'Real' Weather? The WiFi on my FS Laptop is wonky at best, and cuts out all the time. My Network port is also shot, so I can't hard wire to the Web either.

Members who have read this thread: 0