World Update Australia is out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Update Australia is out

World Update Australia is out

The usual mandatory store update and then 1.88 Gigs download. Doing this now so don't yet know how big the Australia package will be.

2.5G for Oz and there are other smaller world updates for the other areas if you don't have them already...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    The usual mandatory store update and then 1.88 Gigs download. Doing this now so don't yet know how big the Australia package will be.
    Big disappointment that the wonderfully rendered Uluru/Ayers Rock from the original launch has been replaced with a rather flat satellite image with low detail. It looks like a cut and paste job. The Olgas were completely dismissed with a very low detail rendering. In particular the entire surrounding red center landscape is very FSX in appearance by close examination. I can't imagine ORBX had a hand in this. Definately a better mesh, but Bing data seems to be getting worse not better. The barrier reef representation is also representative of of old Bing data and look blurry in most cases. Thinking about uninstalling the entire package. My final thought is that Asobo is totally targeting the sim to Xbox gamers. Pity. Ok, off for a shot (maybe several) of 21 Glenfiddich. Maybe I'll feel better about it afterword. It's back to World of Warships. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    . Definately a better mesh, but Bing data seems to be getting worse not better. The barrier reef representation is also representative of of old Bing data and look blurry in most cases.
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Google maps mod ? Is that likely to give better results than Bing ?

Some screenshots with the Australia World Update installed (from the Marketplace). Unfortunately, being a work night, I don't have time to take more.

Time to step up and fix it ORBX!
    Another Microcrud/Asbo cockup.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried the Google maps mod ? Is that likely to give better results than Bing ?
    No, and I don't intend to. My point is that the update just looks worse than before the update. The reefs are just big colorful blobs, no detail.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Um, OrbX did the Australia scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Some screenshots with the Australia World Update installed (from the Marketplace). Unfortunately, being a work night, I don't have time to take more.
    Mine: Maybe I need to find the high resolution textures? Not sure what the deal is.

Updated Nvidia driver, reset graphics settings. Old vs. world update 7. I think I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. Can you tell which one is update 7?

my Australia update would not download because VL-3 was missing. What is VL-3?

So I painted something to explore OZ if and when it downloads:
    jk1984 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk1989 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Clip_36 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

dvj, your first shot looks a lot like mine, is that the old one?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    my Australia update would not download because VL-3 was missing. What is VL-3?

So I painted something to explore OZ if and when it downloads:
    jk1984 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk1989 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Clip_36 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

dvj, your first shot looks a lot like mine, is that the old one?
    Hello jankees,
    There you go:
    https://www.jmbaviation.com/vl3
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Hi,

WU7 (1.22.2.0) done with success !
    Always doubting is close to the truth...

so I need to buy a real aircraft for the OZ update? mmm, this realism is getting a bit out of control I think.

or maybe microsoft means something else?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip_2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	86217

this is what I see, but what does it mean?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Very pleased to see they have added some ( not all ) the airfields in the Torres Strait islands. Looking forward to touring them.

so I need to buy a real aircraft for the OZ update? mmm, this realism is getting a bit out of control I think.

Go to Content Manager & find the rest of the update. (It may be in "Not Installed" section. That's where I found mine.
    The process this time was a dogs breakfast - stuff scattered all over. & I couldn't buy the Fokker unless I started MSFS , 'not as Administrator.'
    AvAngel's review last night was a "Skip"
    Hmmm
    I flew the single engine version this morning & it was struggling to get off the ground. Something not quite right there.
    T43
    Last edited by Twice43; February 1st, 2022 at 05:02.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I love your word coinage.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

And then there is me, yet again, wondering just where is this "cockup" you speak of? It all looks absolutely brilliant on my end, and I've been greatly enjoying this free update/added scenery.

dvj, your first shot looks a lot like mine, is that the old one?[/QUOTE]Yes. The update changed my graphics settings back to game default unknown to me at the time of my post. And I had an older Nvidia graphics driver that I went ahead an updated. Matching the lighting conditions as best as possible, I was able to reproduce the textures of the World 7 to the previouse rendering. The reefs however are still blurry. I may be missing something from the downloard.

ROTFL

I think it means you must have uninstalled the stock Asobo VL-3 sometime in the past, and it is required for some bush trip, challenge or whatever included with WU7. As someone else said, it only takes reinstalling it back from the Content Manager.

(BTW, only an one-plane complaint? Mine complains about quite a few!!)

I can't access the content-manager any more and to leave the sim , i have to use ctrl-alt-del.
    I have seen this before a few updates back.
    I hope this will resolve by itself like it did the last time.
    every update brings up something crappy.

Finally - GBR

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    ROTFL
    I think it means you must have uninstalled the stock Asobo VL-3 sometime in the past, and it is required for some bush trip, challenge or whatever included with WU7. As someone else said, it only takes reinstalling it back from the Content Manager.
    'only reinstalling' you say, yes, if the content manager would work....but no. So reinstalling the whole sim, anoter 105Gb to download, then completely setting up my joystick again, the community folder, aaargh...all because of some aircraft I've never even heard of, why, oh why?

Well
    Into The Blue, who is usually pretty encouraging, declares a 'flop'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad5z6uDiqCg

T43

Normally I have a lot of respect for Into the Blue's reviews, but I think both he and AvAngel are succumbing to the pressure to get a review out on the first day of a product's release, and it shows. It's a bit ironic that they are accusing MS/Asobo of rushing out a product before it is ready; they are doing the same thing with their reviews.

As one instance, both of them complained that there is no documentation, when actually both were just in too much of a hurry to find and read the 41-page manual and three different checklists in the product's folder.

As far as the flight model, I agree with some of ITB's comments, but it seems likely to me that he didn't check his weight-and-balance before his flight, and also tested the plane only in the empty, no-passengers configuration. The first time I flew the plane, it behaved just like he described. Then I checked the w&b screen and noticed that the default CG, with no pax, is around 3% or 4% of mean aerodynamic chord. That is likely way out of limits on the nose heavy side, and it's why his tail came up so fast on takeoff, it's partly responsible for the non-responsive controls in flight, and its the reason the plane noses down on landing. When the slider is used to set that value to a more reasonable 25%, those issues largely disappear. It's quite easy to hold the nose up and grease it on.

As far as it being floaty, yes, an empty plane with that big fat wing and a 45-knot stall speed is going to be floaty. Did he try filling it to max gross with passengers? Shouldn't a reviewer try that?

That said, I agree with many of ITB's comments, there certainly are bugs in the airplane's systems, and AvAngel is absolutely correct that the single-engine version is so underpowered as to be virtually unflyable. That aircraft was commonly equipped with engines around 450 hp (versus 3x 220 hp for the trimotor, so not all that big of a difference overall) and Orbx clearly got it very wrong. It sucks that we can't get into the flight model and fix that in 15 seconds with a tweak to the power scalar, and instead will have to wait until approximately ... [checks calendar] ... never for that to be fixed by MS/Asobo/Orbx.

August

Members who have read this thread: 0