RAF Chipping Norton w.i.p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Chipping Norton w.i.p

RAF Chipping Norton w.i.p

Attachment 86047

A little something I'm playing with; getting to grips with ez scenery to place the models; haven't got round to an AFCAD yet

RAF Chipping Norton was a relief landing ground and secondary site for the training schools at Little Rissington and Kidlington;
    nowadays is perhaps somewhat better known (or infamous maybe) for being one of the parcels of land that make up Jeremy Clarkson's farm

Where I've found correct building models that are recorded as being in those places; then I've put them there albeit with artist licence

What I could really do with is a ww2 RAF fire tender truck if anyone knows where to find one. I've used Airspeed Oxford and Harvards as statics (thanks to static aircraft maker)

The runways were grass btw, later tracked with sommerfield matting; the east west runway threshold is just below the stbd wing in this screen shot

https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/G...sourceID=19191

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/oldsit...tml/page01.htm

ttfn

Pete

Good stuff Pete!

Great you're giving it a go.

I'm sure Ian E will help you out with lots of needed bits and pieces (he's got the vehicles you want), if he doesn't see this post just PM him...

Cheers

Shessi

More scenery the better ive got nothing in my parts box, but i sometime us v's by Edmundo Abad, there CFS1 vintage but convert well and dont look to shabby

Combat Flight Simulator - CFS Misc.CFS Macro--Austin K6 RAF Crash Tender/Fire Engine
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: cfs-austin-k6.zip
    Size: 345,700 Date: 07-18-2012 Downloads: 84

CFS Macro--Austin K6 RAF Crash Tender/Fire Engine, CFS version of a WWII ground vehicle. The Austin K6 Crash Tender/Fire Engine was the typical RAF Fire Truck of the Battle of Britain's RAF Emergency Services, built by the Austin-British Leyland Company during the Second World War. By Edmundo Abad.

Nice work Pete! It is good to welcome a new scenery developer

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    More scenery the better ive got nothing in my parts box, but i sometime us v's by Edmundo Abad, there CFS1 vintage but convert well and dont look to shabby

Combat Flight Simulator - CFS Misc.CFS Macro--Austin K6 RAF Crash Tender/Fire Engine
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: cfs-austin-k6.zip
    Size: 345,700 Date: 07-18-2012 Downloads: 84

CFS Macro--Austin K6 RAF Crash Tender/Fire Engine, CFS version of a WWII ground vehicle. The Austin K6 Crash Tender/Fire Engine was the typical RAF Fire Truck of the Battle of Britain's RAF Emergency Services, built by the Austin-British Leyland Company during the Second World War. By Edmundo Abad.
    Silly question time then... how to convert from API macro to fs9.mdl format ?

thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,
    You should be able to just place api's with EZ Scenery. If not then a couple of ways. MCX will read api's, then export either directly as an Fs9 mdl and use, or to FSDS if you intend to model with it.

Or easier still....attached are the two Austins as Fs9 mdls...

Cheers

Shessi

p.s Nice find Ian, these are good models and very low polys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Shessi; January 19th, 2022 at 11:34.

Shessi, you should search for the rest of his stuff, He has done absolutely loads iirc.

Edit: just checked my downloads, 185 items, there may be more too.

Looking good!

I hope you get as good at scenery as you are at painting!

Thanks for the fire truck (I used static aircraft maker to make a library with the K2 Ambulance)
    the tower is one of Ted Andrews'

Attachment 86067

ttfn

Pete

Looks good Pete

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Looks good Pete
    Thanks Huub, hoping to get a trial version out early next week for the experts to check over ( I'm working away this weekend)TtfnPete

Chipping Norton ready to test

Attachment 86124

Shessi, Huub, Ian, (and anyone else that fancies it); the attached zip is 1st version of Chipping Norton for you to test please
    See the readme for scenery libraries you'll need to have for everything to show up

Now then this is my first foray into the world of EZ scenery ;a little something I've been playing with to get to grips with ez scenery to place the models;

I built it on the UK photoscenery; but it should work ok in default scenery (you may have to add an exclusion file of your own making)

RAF Chipping Norton was a relief landing ground and secondary site for the training schools at Little Rissington and Kidlington ; its' major inhabitants were Airspeed Oxfords and
    Harvards of 6 SFTS and 15 SFTS; nowadays is perhaps somewhat better known (or infamous maybe) for being one of the parcels of land that make up Jeremy Clarkson's farm

Where I've found correct building models that are recorded as being in those places; then I've put them there albeit with a bit of artist licence , so the 2 Bellman Hangars and
    8 blister hangars are in place; plus the 25yard range; the fuel pumphouse and the entry hut at hangar site

The other site comprises the technical /instructional buildings only, this was a camp largely made up of hutted accommodations (the messes, sick quarters and accommodation were on further dispersed sites) with the control tower in its correct place.

The runways were grass btw, later tracked with sommerfield matting; but we don't have a decent sommerfield matting texture so it's default steel .

https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/G...sourceID=19191

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/oldsit...tml/page01.htm

The AFCAD isn't perfect;I've given it the code of UK15, after its largest user, 15 FTS from nearby Kidlington; feel free to improve as you see fit and the choice of building models for the period is limited; the traffic file requires Dave Molyneaux Airspeed Oxford,
    Alphasim t6/Harvard and Ted Cook's Miles Magister

enjoy

ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; January 25th, 2022 at 08:02.

Good work Pete, are you using some sort of photo scenery, UKvfr or something, im getting stock ground texture's with trees and auto gen and no airfield boundary. I can make one up with Sbuilder9 easy enough, just let me know what map your using

PS ive just read the read-me

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post

PS ive just read the read-me

Feel free to tinker with it Ian, as I no longer have default scenery in UK

For orientation, on Google maps, go about 3 miles west of Enstone, on its runway heading 270

Ttfn

Pete

Hi pete,

The first results: It seems I'm missing a texture and I desperately need to create an exclusion file......

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hi pete,

The first results: It seems I'm missing a texture and I desperately need to create an exclusion file......

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub; try this exclude file -- >Attachment 86150

I can't do much about background think Ian might have better knowledge of SBuilder than I

ttfn

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I could have done my own exclusion file, but nice I don't have to do it anymore.

As you can see the exclusion file did its work and as far as I can see I have all buildings and static objects. Hopefully Ian can shine some light on the texture issue.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi everybody, just drop this into your Chipping Norton scenery folder and you'll have a working ground poly and boundary. Pete's using Tarmac texture for the taxi paths, which is a very dark texture, i tend to use asphalt instead, and if you have Golden wings, i know some texture's are substituted but i dont know if Tarmac has been or what it looks like.

Hi Ian,

What texture does this .bgl file call for? As you can see it looks more like forest than grass.

It could be in my install, but I have looked as my "grass" textures and they all look like grass (at least a sort of).

Cheers,
    Huub

Nothing special, just the irrigated Grassland texture's i use for 90% of my scenery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cn.jpg  

You could try this one, its grass, but i dont like using it, its to green and Billiard table'y for my liking, but it may work for you-

That's better, I have also replaced the texture "taxi_tarmac.bmp" in the main texture folder by a lighter one.

Cheers,
    Huub

And one in summer

And autumn

Hi Huub;

Looks like you're missing the Military AI Works scenery libraries; download from https://militaryaiworks.com/
    ( I can see some things missing)

Ian; do you mind is I package your ground poly up with final upload?

ttfn

Pete

No problem Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Hi Huub;

Looks like you're missing the Military AI Works scenery libraries; download from https://militaryaiworks.com/
    ( I can see some things missing)

Ian; do you mind is I package your ground poly up with final upload?

ttfn

Pete
    Hi Pete,

That is weird as I have the MAIW library "MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9" installed and active in my scenery library.

I know I don't have the correct version of Ted Cook's Miles Magister. but I'm working on that.

Can you tell/show me what I'm missing?

Cheers,
    Huub

This time with the correct Magister.......

Members who have read this thread: 0