DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DHC-6 Twin Otter for MSFS!

That’s one of the many reasons I like this place Truth be told, I can see the underlying potential of Alex’s Flight Model. There are some small issues but those are easily fixed. The jarring disconnect is the audio- rubbish in this age.C

On a side note, I wonder if we'll ever see a properly done Velana...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The sounds have fixed brilliantly IMO by Zaki87 over at flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/file/26712/aero...-rpm-pitch-fix
    The mod requires prior ownership or purchase of the Turbine Sound Studios DHC-6 Twin Otter Pilot Edition sound package for FSX: https://secure.simmarket.com/turbine...e_10413).phtml
    This mod retains the ALL the Wwise cockpit sounds while replacing all the engine/prop sounds with the superb TSS sound set.
    This method works so well that I think it should be adopted by all add-on developers, they can make good use of their existing engine sound sets from previous/other sims while only having to make/commission/re-use a set of Wwise cockpit sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    The sounds have fixed brilliantly IMO by Zaki87 over at flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/file/26712/aero...-rpm-pitch-fix
    The mod requires prior ownership or purchase of the Turbine Sound Studios DHC-6 Twin Otter Pilot Edition sound package for FSX: https://secure.simmarket.com/turbine...e_10413).phtml
    This mod retains the ALL the Wwise cockpit sounds while replacing all the engine/prop sounds with the superb TSS sound set.
    This method works so well that I think it should be adopted by all add-on developers, they can make good use of their existing engine sound sets from previous/other sims while only having to make/commission/re-use a set of Wwise cockpit sounds.
    I got that file and bought the TSS version, it works great, highly recommend!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jan and Yo Yo- will we see some of your excellent paints for this girl, or are you waiting for the paint kit to create some of your works of art?

C

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    The sounds have fixed brilliantly IMO by Zaki87 over at flightsim.to...
    If AS doesn't issue a patch for the sound soon, I may consider this, but having to purchase a package to fix a purchased package will leave a rather strong aftertaste if I do. I've been reviewing start procedure videos and I should finally have time to do a short flight today.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

This is strange because the original MSFS sounds are also provided by TSS to Aerosoft (source: Aerosoft forum)

Perhaps it's not the sounds so much as what they have done with them? Particularly the transitions and range.
    Aerosoft (MK) say that the patch "This weekend or Monday, should fix 90% of the known issues."
    https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/170049-sound-hotfix/
    Last edited by keithb77; January 23rd, 2022 at 09:52.

... as stated earlier- the sounds aren't horrible, the transitions are torrid. Still I must confess, I am enjoying Twottering again

C

I fully agree about the sounds after finally getting to fly it. They're not stellar, but they're not horrid either. As for the rest, she's a joy to fly once you get the hang of where all the controls are located. I still need to practice getting into short fields - my first flight was into TFFJ and I ended up in the drink. My second attempt was W88 to KGSO with the ILS freq tuned for 23L. I flew the entire approach by hand and it was quite easy to hold the beam by hand the entire way down. Now I just need to find the right texture to edit so I can re-bake my own registration and then probably delete most of the models that I'll never fly. The one thing that I would have done differently would be to off the ability to install only what I'll fly. There are several variants that I'll never fly and don't need to take up drive space.

Also, I think I may need some assistance getting my own reg into the paints. I think the file I need to open and edit isn't supported in Gimp. If anyone has a way to edit the texture file that contains the tail #, please shoot me a PM.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I fully agree about the sounds after finally getting to fly it. They're not stellar, but they're not horrid either. As for the rest, she's a joy to fly once you get the hang of where all the controls are located. I still need to practice getting into short fields - my first flight was into TFFJ and I ended up in the drink. My second attempt was W88 to KGSO with the ILS freq tuned for 23L. I flew the entire approach by hand and it was quite easy to hold the beam by hand the entire way down. Now I just need to find the right texture to edit so I can re-bake my own registration and then probably delete most of the models that I'll never fly. The one thing that I would have done differently would be to off the ability to install only what I'll fly. There are several variants that I'll never fly and don't need to take up drive space.

Also, I think I may need some assistance getting my own reg into the paints. I think the file I need to open and edit isn't supported in Gimp. If anyone has a way to edit the texture file that contains the tail #, please shoot me a PM.
    This may, or may not, be of assistance re deleting variants.
    It is in relation to the Kodiak, which has 4 primary variants with about 140 liveries spread across them.
    See the 2nd to last post.
    T43

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...ning-the-herd/

The Kodiak thread won't save any space though, and probably a better process would be to change all
    isUserSelectable=1
    to
    isUserSelectable=0
    in aircraft.cfg apart from the ones you want to fly.

To save space just move whole aircraft folder out to a temporary location and if your chosen models/liveries still work consider deleting them.

From the WWW:
    How to Change Tail Number in Microsoft Flight Simulator - go to the World Map screen and then click on the ‘Aircraft Selection’ option.
    Go to ‘ATC Options’ and choose the ‘Tail Number’ option.

You can also toggle the option to show the tail number on the aircraft or not whenever you want from this settings menu.

Patch due tomorrow:
    Aerosoft Twin Otter Update 1 Changelog
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

- Added: GPWS Inhibit switch
    - Added: Wing lights
    - Added: Elevator and rudder trim knob animations now react to control input. Sounds added

- Fixed: Torque link on -300 Cargo 4-Blade nose gear
    - Fixed: Changed Elevator and aileron simvars to those that work in multiplayer
    - Fixed: Control lock variable reversed for multiplayer compatibility
    - Fixed: Rework and volume balancing of external sounds
    - Fixed: Rework and volume balancing of internal sounds
    - Fixed: Autopilot losing altitude in ALT HOLD mode
    - Fixed: Autopilot losing altitude in GS HOLD mode
    - Fixed: Exterior view engine instruments
    - Fixed: Missing performance data in aircraft selection window
    - Fixed: Toned down wind sound at rear door when aircraft is not moving and wind is not storm strength
    - Fixed: Boost pump annunciator condition
    - Fixed: Volts indicator now shows 0V when generators are off
    - Fixed: CDI Needles jumping from side to side while flying a FROM radial
    - Fixed: Missing needle arrow in copilot HSI
    - Fixed: NAV/HDG flags over heading bug and needle in both HSIs
    - Fixed: Separated GNS530/430, Autopilot, Transponder and ADF from Copilot dimmer
    - Fixed: Propeller De-Ice now works for both propellers
    - Fixed: Intake Anti-Ice now works for both engines
    - Fixed: Increased volume of GPWS glide slope callouts
    - Fixed: HSI knob not turning
    - Fixed: Gaps in the ceiling near front cabin wall

Tom - I'm enjoying the Twin Otter too! The speed management on finals needs very careful attention as flagged in the manual - I too have ended up in the Atlantic already..

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    Tom - I'm enjoying the Twin Otter too! The speed management on finals needs very careful attention as flagged in the manual - I too have ended up in the Atlantic already..
    Yep. I remember the FSX one was like this too. I keep "PIO"-ing the power on final. Add a little power, not much happens, add a smidge more, and now I'm climbing. Reduce the power, same process in reverse. I'm getting the hang of it again, slowly... Looking forward to the update.

Anyone know if there is a paint kit in our future? I didn't see any mention of it on the web site.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Tom, to remove baked registration, you can edit DHC6_EX_300_SKI_CARGO_DECAL_LABEL_ALBEDO.PNG.DDS. Its a DXT5. Pure white for main and pure black for apha will do the job. To change registration the same way,

Aerosoft is usung their old model, so main textures of old extended versions are the same. Makes it very easy for Jan or YoYo to update the very old repaints. You can also use old repaintkit for the main textures.

Thomas

Update 1.0.1.0 is now available on the Aerosoft One app, 3.86GB download.

always nice to welcome an old friend back
    jk1475 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by TiAr View Post
    Tom, to remove baked registration, you can edit DHC6_EX_300_SKI_CARGO_DECAL_LABEL_ALBEDO.PNG.DDS. Its a DXT5. Pure white for main and pure black for apha will do the job. To change registration the same way,

Aerosoft is usung their old model, so main textures of old extended versions are the same. Makes it very easy for Jan or YoYo to update the very old repaints. You can also use old repaintkit for the main textures.

Thomas
    Those are the ones my Gimp won't open - doesn't like the DXT format. I may look into getting a plugin...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Those are the ones my Gimp won't open - doesn't like the DXT format. I may look into getting a plugin...
    Also, Aerosoft made two versions of the DHC-6 for FSX. I bought the first one and made paints for it. Then they released a second one with a completely different "paint structure" so the paints I made for the first one were not compatible with the second one. I never bought the second one. I suspect that TiAr is referring to the second one, so I don't have that paint kit.

In any case, I went searching in the forums at Aerosoft and there was a question there about a paint kit, and the answer was a vague implication that one will be coming soon, more or less, lol. So I will be waiting for that!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

The sounds are updated, but getting bad reviews at the official forum. There are other fixes too, but everyone wants to pile poo on just one thing. If you bought through Orbx, the update is available through the Central app.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Also, Aerosoft made two versions of the DHC-6 for FSX. I bought the first one and made paints for it. Then they released a second one with a completely different "paint structure" so the paints I made for the first one were not compatible with the second one. I never bought the second one. I suspect that TiAr is referring to the second one, so I don't have that paint kit.

In any case, I went searching in the forums at Aerosoft and there was a question there about a paint kit, and the answer was a vague implication that one will be coming soon, more or less, lol. So I will be waiting for that!
    I still have the old paintkit, which works fine, but it is HUGE. The 300 version alone is over 1 GB, with paintkits for each different model (skis, tundra, etc.).
    I don't really feel like uploading 2 Gb, but if can tell me which model you want to paint, I can maybe send you the right paintkit?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

here's a few of my old paints I adapted:
    jk tw0021 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk tw0016 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk tw0010 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk tw0001 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

straight out of the old paintkit. They're relatively low-resolution (2048) files, but I don't think you need a higher resolution. Well, maybe for the stickers on VH-BMG..

Jan Kees-If you could release a few in civilian livery that would be splendid! There seem to be none at the moment.Thanks, as ever!Carl

The sounds are updated, but getting bad reviews at the official forum. There are other fixes too, but everyone wants to pile poo on just one thing. If you bought through Orbx, the update is available through the Central app.
    Yes, it is. I’m normally a HUGE ORBX fan, but this time, they were late to the party… unusual (it was Australia Day, and I was ignorant of the fact).Agreed, the update needs an update… C

Members who have read this thread: 2