Aeroplane Heaven P-51D released - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven P-51D released

Very nice Jan. Metal looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Into The Blue Simulations has had a look at it.
    He tends to be one of the more reliable reviewers.
    T43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RydECBK82A
    Anybody having problems taking off , flying and landing our P51, I would sincerely suggest watching this. That is the best takeoff in an MSFS tail-dragger I have yet to see. Beautiful flying.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    We like to depict these icons as they were in their heyday. Always have always will. That's our "priority"

Sounds.

This is, perhaps the most hotly discussed and debated subject in this game. With the change to WWise use and production comes a torrent of problems for developers. The learning curve for sound production is extensive to say the least. Sound is subjective too. We have many customers who like our sounds others who don't. WWise appears to have become the "new black" buzzword for people. Many have no idea what it means or could care less. If the writing on the box does not say WWise then the product is c/*!p. End of. Seriously?

Professional WWise sound production is very expensive to buy. Believe me, we are employing the best out there on the DC-3 right now. If we believe the budget and sales potential of a product warrants it, we will use a sound studio without question. But there are two main issues. 1) development time increases by some months and 2) product prices will have to rise to assist with recovering costs. Like the sound studios themselves, we run a business and need to maintain a reasonable profit. Otherwise there is no point in any of this.

If there are sound designers who want to work with us and can do this stuff, please contact me. I am serious.
    As a sound professional, I concur with your comments. As someone with experience using Wwise (and one of its competitors FMOD) in professional training simulators (not flight sim, for what its worth) it's painful to see so many not fully understanding what Wwise is and what it isn't. It's a great new sound engine for FS but as Fnerg said, and I completely agree, the crux of the matter is the source material -- good, high fidelity recordings made under the right conditions with good equipment, and processed for computer audio systems. All that is expensive. I'm confident a quality sound set using legacy method could be built and people would think it was Wwise if they didn't look under the hood or expect the features that just do not exist in legacy (such as the low-pass filter dynamically applied when closing a window, etc.)

If I had more time on my hands I might be tempted to get back into FS sound design and contact you (you may recall I did a sound set or two for AH back in the day). Perhaps when I retire ... I figure MSFS may be a stable title by then

- dcc
    - -

jk1160 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk1180 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Clip_21 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looks nice JK

Huub

great stuff JK

Anybody wanting to try a different soundset just edit a sound= line in aircraft.cfg to point to the Asobo p51
    eg find [FLTSIM.1] and replace Sound=""
    with Sound="\..\..\Asobo_P51D_Reno_Common\sound\"
    and select that repaint...compare by swapping with a different repaint.
    No other changes needed.

TBH I think the AH internal sounds are best, the Asobo externals best, and as a VR flyer I'm 99% internal so I'll stick with AH.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Anybody wanting to try a different soundset just edit a sound= line in aircraft.cfg to point to the Asobo p51
    No other changes needed.

TBH I think the AH internal sounds are best, the Asobo externals best, and as a VR flyer I'm 99% internal so I'll stick with AH.
    Many thanks Keith very helpful

one more paint for you guys to play with:
    Clip_24 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk1203 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk1215 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

No other changes needed.

Keith what goes in the "\..\..\" part of the new text please?

Exactly as typed, means up two levels of folders then back down the asobo leg

No other changes needed.
    Oooh, that's better. Thanks for the tip!

https://youtu.be/8R6OpRX0O1o

Enjoying the AH P-51D

I am enjoying flying the AH P-51D.

AH did a great job on the look and feel of the aircraft and it is one of the best flying tail draggers in the sim.

Mapping the sound files to the reno P-51D as suggested in prior posts makes the sound file much more palatable to my humble ears.

My only suggestion to AH is to consider using a modified version of the AH Spitfire 1a sound file to get closer to the Merlin sound. I find that sound file to be very good. The provided AH P-51D sound file seems to be missing the lower frequency sounds. They are present in the Spitfire file which is why I like it so much.

Although I am a retired pilot, I cannot say that I have ever actually flown a P-51 so I cannot comment on what it really sounds like from a pilot's view. Of course, with modern headsets, the sounds in the cockpit that one hears is just a muffled subset of the sounds that the aircraft is actually making. It is my understanding that the P-51 was very loud and many of the pilots had severe hearing loss.

Congratulations on a superb rendition of the aircraft. It is clearly very well done and very flyable and it can be flown by the book. It is well worth the money.

Hi,

Maybe i'm a purist yet the one of the thing holds me from buying is the odd shape of the nose-cowling and spinner.

It's not a complete curve yet has level elements in it and also makes the spinner too long.

Real one (noticed the complete curve):

Lot's more example, just do a image search on google.

Marcel

And the purist in me agrees with Marcel, and I also wonder about the four rings on the prop of Old Crow. There should only be three I think

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hi,

Maybe i'm a purist yet the one of the thing holds me from buying is the odd shape of the nose-cowling and spinner.

It's not a complete curve yet has level elements in it and also makes the spinner too long.

Real one (noticed the complete curve):

Lot's more example, just do a image search on google.

Marcel
    100% agree - hopefully AH will correct it quickly as it is an obvious error on a very 'public' part of the aircraft. Odd that none of the reviews dhave not commented on this...

It also looks to me from YT vids like the wing hard points are considerably oversized? And the drop tank shapes/sizes that I've seen don't match any of the common ones.

August

Please use the correct channels for any issues. We have recorded no support requests regarding the model. We do not use this forum for support. An email to the correct help desk please. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman123 View Post
    I am enjoying flying the AH P-51D.

AH did a great job on the look and feel of the aircraft and it is one of the best flying tail draggers in the sim.

Mapping the sound files to the reno P-51D as suggested in prior posts makes the sound file much more palatable to my humble ears.

My only suggestion to AH is to consider using a modified version of the AH Spitfire 1a sound file to get closer to the Merlin sound. I find that sound file to be very good. The provided AH P-51D sound file seems to be missing the lower frequency sounds. They are present in the Spitfire file which is why I like it so much.

Although I am a retired pilot, I cannot say that I have ever actually flown a P-51 so I cannot comment on what it really sounds like from a pilot's view. Of course, with modern headsets, the sounds in the cockpit that one hears is just a muffled subset of the sounds that the aircraft is actually making. It is my understanding that the P-51 was very loud and many of the pilots had severe hearing loss.

Congratulations on a superb rendition of the aircraft. It is clearly very well done and very flyable and it can be flown by the book. It is well worth the money.
    Thankyou for the kind words, we are looking into the whole subject of WWise sound production and its issues. More anon.

No other changes needed.

Can I use the FlyingIron Spifire sounds? Here's what I have in my aircraft.cfg:

Sound="\..\..\..\..\ac_flyingiron-spitfire\SimObjects\Airplanes\flyingiron_spitfire\ sound\"

Both the Spitfire and the P-51 are in my Community folder.

No Sound. I tried simply replacing the P-51 sound folder with that of the Spitfire. That didn't work either. This was easy in FSX and P3D.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Can I use the FlyingIron Spifire sounds? Here's what I have in my aircraft.cfg:

Sound="\..\..\..\..\ac_flyingiron-spitfire\SimObjects\Airplanes\flyingiron_spitfire\ sound\"

Both the Spitfire and the P-51 are in my Community folder.

No Sound. I tried simply replacing the P-51 sound folder with that of the Spitfire. That didn't work either. This was easy in FSX and P3D.
    It should be: "\..\..\ac_flyingiron-spitfire\SimObjects\Airplanes\flyingiron_spitfire\ sound\"

Cheers

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

You seem to have an extra space before ‘sound’ in the directory reference unless that was just typed out for this forum. Don’t know if removing that will fix the issue though.

I have to be missing something simple, but the light bulb hasn't gone off yet.

Here are the direct paths to the P-51 and Spitfire in my Community folder:

D:\FS2020\Community\ac_ah-p51d\SimObjects\Airplanes\ah-p51d\sound\

D:\FS2020\Community\ac_flyingiron-spitfire\SimObjects\Airplanes\flyingiron_spitfire\ sound\

In order for the P-51's aircraft.cfg to "find its way" to the Spitfire's sound folder, I have to "go up" four directories, then "down" to the Spitfire's sound folder. I tried using only two (\..\..\) without luck.

@jetstreamsky: Yes, that extra space is not in the aircraft.cfg.
    HP Reverb G2

Update:

In a move of utter desperation, I purchased the Asobo P-51 pack, then set the AH P-51 sound to "Sound="\..\..\Asobo_P51D_Reno_Common\sound\", as keithb77 originally posted. This worked, which makes no sense to my basic dark ages Windows/DOS directory structure knowledge, such as it is. That relative path does not lead to the Asobo P-51 sound folder. Obviously more learning about how this sim works is order.

P.S. -- The Asobo P-51s are pretty good. But this AH P-51 is fantastic. Thanks AH!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hi,Maybe i'm a purist yet the one of the thing holds me from buying is the odd shape of the nose-cowling and spinner.It's not a complete curve yet has level elements in it and also makes the spinner too long.Real one (noticed the complete curve):Lot's more example, just do a image search on google.Marcel
    Oh great. I bought the P51, changed to the Asobo P51 sound, but now I can't stop seeing this. Oh well. The textures do look quite nice and it "feels' like a warbird in the sim.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 6