I need Wind

Thread: I need Wind

I need Wind

Hi fellas it's me again! This time I have a question about carrier take offs in the Vindicator. The NOATM says take off speed is 75 knots but try as I may I can only reach about 50 knots max before I'm at the end of the carrier and consequently I'm 'wet feet' and probably dead before getting underway. In most other sims the wind can be set or the carrier turns into the wind at take off but I don't see a wind setting in CFS2. Is there an answer to this or do I have to start in the air?

After a month, yes 4 weeks, of downloading and installing, un-installing and re-installing three times I finally got to fly yesterday. It's all been worth it though I just can't believe my eyes at the quality of aircraft and scenery you have all worked on over the years to improve the sim. I have flown in just about every flight simulator over the years but still the old games provide aircraft and situations the newer games don't have. I guess 'one size' fits just doesn't apply the flightsims!

I note the following in the mission builder but I don't know how or if this can be edited to add say a 30kt wind.

wind_layers_num=0
    wind_surface=609.60,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0,0
    Last edited by Brainless; January 16th, 2022 at 07:01.

Wind setting in FreeFlight ONLY.

Only in FreeFlight. I think there may be a way to edit missions to include wind, but I can't remember it. Someone else will no doubt recall the work around.

Eat plentiful brown beans with onion and pickles. That'll do the trick. ;-)

I need Wind

No beans and pickles will increase weight so that won't help!

Wind....

IIRC, did the late great Talon used to build wind into missions ? I think it is in the individual mission .mis I can stand to be corrected on that but I do recall asking something about wind drift waaaaaaay back and that is what I was told. Had text notes on it but they went with the crashed computer.

also, eat lots and lots of sauerkraut.

i NEED WIND

Well having put my brain in and given the matter some further thought realised the problem was with loadings. So I loaded a big 1000lb bomb on to the Vindicator but reduced the fuel loading to 75% and just managed get off the deck in one piece and head off to the target. Just like the film Midway (the latest one). Well worth a view if you haven't seen it. I would still like to know about the wind settings that may be edited in the mission builder if anyone knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Brainless,

Download Cody Coyote's Mission Building Handbook.
    Chapter 14 will tell you how to add wind to your mission file.

Regards,
    B24Guy

I've used wind in my carrier missions. First go to free flight. There in the advanced weather tab you can set the wind speed and direction. Once done, fly the mission to lock the wind parameters into your cfs2.cfg file. Close the game and open the cfs2.cfg with notepad and scroll down to the [free flight] paragraph. you will see something like this:

wind_surface=304.80,12.00,0.00,94.00,0.00,0,0

where 304.80 = 0-304.80 meters altitude (1000 ft), 12.00 = wind speed in kts; and 94.00 = wind direction in degrees. That is the direction the wind is coming from, Paste this into the weather para in your .mis mission file near the top. Make whatever changes in alt, direction and speed you wish, save and close and go flying.

If you open the mission in MB and re-save it. The wind speed will zeroize and you'll have to open the .mis file again to re-enter it.

This sounds complicated, but is a very simple process. May I suggest you download Cody Coyote's Mission Builder Handbook? It explains this and many other techniques.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I need wind

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Brainless,

Regards,
    B24Guy

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Cody Coyote's guide doesn't seem to be available here and the freeflight site is closed. Any idea where this might be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Cody Coyote's guide doesn't seem to be available here and the freeflight site is closed. Any idea where this might be found?
    Cody Coyotes Guide is in CFS2/UTILITIES

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=3972

and the FreeFlight site was rescued + placed here at SOH

The link should be at the top of the cfs2 forum index

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ee-Flight-Site

That's it!

See, I knew that someone would know how to edit the mission file. Thanks B24G.

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Brainless,

Regards,
    B24Guy

Icon22 Reply...

Brainless,

Here is a direct link to the handbook in case you need it: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...atid=54&id=925
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I'm glad it's still out there, but should the need ever exist I still have it on my shelf, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Coyote View Post
    I'm glad it's still out there, but should the need ever exist I still have it on my shelf, so to speak.
    Heck, I even have a copy, printed and spiral bound.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

A tremendous resource. Can't imagine doing without it. Thanks CC.

Members who have read this thread: 0