Adding an Autopilot to FSX Aircraft

Thread: Adding an Autopilot to FSX Aircraft

Adding an Autopilot to FSX Aircraft

Some aircraft in FSX come without an autopilot, or just come with a basic AP system consisting of altitude and heading hold. This is often cumbersome on longer flights as adjustments need to be made often 'in flight'. The best autopilots are those which will follow a flight plan via the GPS coordinates set out in the Garmin instrument and activated via the NAV/GPS switch. ....... It's a sim after all, so why not cheat a bit ?

I came across this older thread by 'bkeske' over at flightsim.com which outlines a simple way of installing a Garmin 295 GPS, the Maule GPS/NAV switch, and the Bendix-King autopilot (all three are FSX default BTW) inside an aircraft which lacks the AP functionality.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...-not-have-them

Posting it here, hoping it may of use to some.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The Best GPS

This in my opinion is the best GPS and it is free. I replace every GPS in my aircraft with it and it has never failed me on either short or long flights. I use FS Panel Studio but if you do not have it I am sure that you can follow the instructions for the 295. You can download it here:

http://www.fs2x.com/Freeware.htm

There are a few of these in Flightsim.com Here is a good package:

This is a nice autopilot:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...ght&fid=203702

Yes, I heard of Jon Dyer's AP version. Seems very nice, and relatively easy to use.

Another nice autopilot is in David Roble's F-4 here : https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...4D-Phantom-zip
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

This in my opinion is the best GPS and it is free.
    I too discovered the Don Kuhn GNS530 many years ago and retrofit it in every aircraft - both in a pop up but also in the VC where possible. It just works.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I *made* this years ago. It's a truncated version of the default 737 or A320 autopilot (don't remember which now). I use it as a small pop up on most of my planes. Has just about all the features you'd need. You can add a few lines to the autopilot section of the aircraft.cfg file and have autothrottles as well. Comes in handy on those longer flights. You can also mod a line in the .cfg file to change the autopilot bank angle if desired. I put a click spot on the left side so it can be hidden easily.

FSX Defaults

I think that this is the default B737-800 MCP which is an deluxe autopilot panel. It can be used with any aircraft with aircraft.cfg modifications a Monk mentioned. I think that I would probably use this in a vintage airliner that did not have any to make it easy to fly distances.

Agree - I use this often as well; it is a 737-800 AP from FSX. It works at least up to P3D4.5 gauge name "B737_800!autopilot"

Members who have read this thread: 0