REPAINT REQUEST: FSX Curtiss XP-40Q NX300B

Thread: REPAINT REQUEST: FSX Curtiss XP-40Q NX300B

REPAINT REQUEST: FSX Curtiss XP-40Q NX300B

Hi all,
    I've been having a ton of fun flying the Tim Conrad-designed, Michael Pook-updated XP-40Q (fsx_curtissp40q.zip on FlightSim.com) but the schemes are total fiction. Is there anyone who would be eager to replicate the real XP-40Q2's civilian scheme as below?
    NX300B by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    AMTech box art (unreleased) by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Draw Decal 1/48 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    XP-40Q Taichiro Yama****a profiles by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    XP-40Q Taichiro Yama****a top by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    XP-40Q Taichiro Yama****a bottom by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Interesting

I found the model to download for FSX at Flightsim.com and am downloading it. I will check it out for you when I get a chance to see what it will take to repaint it with a nice natural metal finish and accurate markings.

That would be fantastic, thank you! Would you like me to post photos of the USAAF scheme too?

I had never seen this airplane before. I'm a fan of Tim's work but never came across this one so I downloaded. It's obvious it's an early Piglet model because the detailed VC and exterior aren't present and the pilot isn't what you see in later models by him. Looks like this was done 2003-2004, look at the OV-10 or OV-1 done 3 and 4 years later and you can really see how much he progressed during that time. Like all developers there's always a starting point and if you stay with it the results really show the hard work and effort. . .that was definitely Tim, he left us with some amazing airplanes.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

One At A Time

Quote Originally Posted by Handbag87 View Post
    That would be fantastic, thank you! Would you like me to post photos of the USAAF scheme too?
    I just started working on the texture in Photoshop which is all by hand because I looked and even back in FS9 Piglet did not include a paintkit much less a layered one. I don't mind doing it for you and anyone else who wants to download it when its done but it will take more time than just repainting it with a layered paintkit.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I just started working on the texture in Photoshop which is all by hand because I looked and even back in FS9 Piglet did not include a paintkit much less a layered one. I don't mind doing it for you and anyone else who wants to download it when its done but it will take more time than just repainting it with a layered paintkit.
    There's no rush at all, thank you so much for being keen to take it on!

XP-40Q-2 42-45722 part one
    Carlos Alonso by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    IMG_1254 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    28805770742_23c6a3e01d_o by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Full page photo by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    curtiss-xp-40q-2a-flight by Zac Yates, on Flickr

REPAINT REQUEST: FSX Curtiss XP-40Q NX300B pt2

XP-40Q-2 42-45722 part two

Curtiss XP-40Q-2A Warhawk 1 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Curtiss XP-40Q-2A Warhawk 2 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Curtiss XP-40Q-2A Warhawk 3 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Curtiss XP-40Q-2A Warhawk 4 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Curtiss XP-40Q-2A Warhawk 5 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    Curtiss_P-40Q by Zac Yates, on Flickr

I only just noticed the Xs - don't worry about them!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    that was definitely Tim, he left us with some amazing airplanes.
    I feel really bad for asking but I've been out of the hobby for a few years and only recently came back. Has Tim left us?

Here's the start

I just finished this. Enough for tonight. I'll work on it along with my 74XA Airport and post progress as it happens.

Great start! Just an FYI (I’m not sure if it’s just because it’s a WiP and that’s how you work) but the civilian scheme was for racing, so I wouldn’t expect to see much variation in panel colours.

VC

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I had never seen this airplane before. I'm a fan of Tim's work but never came across this one so I downloaded. It's obvious it's an early Piglet model because the detailed VC and exterior aren't present and the pilot isn't what you see in later models by him. Looks like this was done 2003-2004, look at the OV-10 or OV-1 done 3 and 4 years later and you can really see how much he progressed during that time. Like all developers there's always a starting point and if you stay with it the results really show the hard work and effort. . .that was definitely Tim, he left us with some amazing airplanes.
    Just opened up the panel in MY download which is the upgraded version by Mark Pooks that has a VC. I have not uploaded this into the sim so I don't know actually what it looks like but there is an mdl.int as well as an mdl for FSX. There is also an FS9 folder with native FS9 mdl only.

Panel Colors

Not sure exactly what you mean. Different shades of the panel textures? Since I am working with an already existing texture, I am using it like it is and just overlaying the insignia yellow. I know that you are not being critical but providing information

I feel really bad for asking but I've been out of the hobby for a few years and only recently came back. Has Tim left us?
    Yes, many years ago. As far as I know efforts to contact him on various occasions has not be successful.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I’m so sorry to hear that, he produced some lovely designs. How awful.

Well Here Is V1

Here it is. I want to tweak it just a bit before sharing but here is a screenshot of the finished texture at my home airport 60J Ocean Isle North Carolina.

I may want to make the alpha channels just a bit darker for more shine of the natural metal finish. Like Falcon said above, it is one of Piglet's earlier models for sure because I had "fun" making the repaint using his texture sheets. Interestingly, the model was not performing like I wanted so I downloaded a different fsx Curtiss P40Q from a different site and it came with the USAAF Texture which I will check out, polish it up a bit and add to the finished package which I will share here at the SOH.

That looks fantastic! Congratulations on an awesome job, and so quick!

I'm intrigued to hear about the other model - I expected more from Piglet's based on the real-world specs.

No difference

That looks fantastic! Congratulations on an awesome job, and so quick!

I'm intrigued to hear about the other model - I expected more from Piglet's based on the real-world specs.
    Like mentioned, these are early models originally for FS9 and the textures for the USAAF I am tweaking are actually from here on SOH by Bub for CFS2. I have been able to make them "almost work" but I'm not finished. That's is enough for tonight here though. I know its Monday morn by you but its Sunday night here. Good night. More tomorrow I hope.

richard

Richard, not a problem at all! There's no rush at all

Here Is The Windup

Here is a screenshot of my final results for the P-40Q USAAF version. I converted this from the FS9/CFS2 with cut and paste in Photoshop and Paintshop Pro. Because FS9 and FSX texture sheets were different they had to be redone for FSX. I really like the panel lines in this though and wish the fsx was this detailed but it is what it is. I created the alpha channels for it and then merged them in DXTBMP for the fsx versions. Just sent Handbag87 a PM with the downloads for these for him to check out. None of my flightsim stuff is setup because of this COVID junk so I could only work and post. I'll share them in a few weeks here.

She's come up beautifully Richard, thank you so much!

42-45722 FSX 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    42-45722 FSX 03 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    42-45722 FSX 04 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    NX300B FSX 16 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    NX300B FSX 15 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
    NX300B FSX 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

It was fun

I'm so glad that it did. I love your screen shots of both of them.

The Aircraft Is Up

I just uploaded the complete package in the Warbirds Library. Just "click" new in the menu. It's currently the first new entry. I hope that you all enjoy flying it as much as Zac is.

Richard

Members who have read this thread: 0