Allen, Shessi, Mav, ACWai or other model gurus, I need help

Thread: Allen, Shessi, Mav, ACWai or other model gurus, I need help

Allen, Shessi, Mav, ACWai or other model gurus, I need help

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here or how to fix this? The prop on the Breguet I am developing is causing the bomb ordinance to disappear from certain angles but not others. FSDS 2.4 and the standard part hierarchy for the prop parts to be the highest parts. I'm mapping to a Kelti prop texture which works on all other planes. This happens with stock bombs too so it isn't the bomb models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prop 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	85986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prop 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	85985
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

I'm not a FSDS user but for gMax the prop disk material needs to be transparent (Opacity in gMax) or parts of the model will disappear behind or in front of the prop like you have here.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yeah, the disk is set to use transparent texture and no problems with the model itself, just the bombs loaded via the dp.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Hi CK,

I've seen this happen ... when adding bgls that ain't part of the model eg pilots that tend to not show because of alpha texture used in canopy ...here i locate the texture in mdl and use -1 which cancel the use of the texture,or in case prop which was most likely 32 bit...???

Ck could you send it to me.... i'll have a look???

Cheers mav

Ps....is there different types of alpas ...like the one used for cockpit to add gauges that is totally invisible???

Hi CK,
    Save a copy of your prop0_blurred disc material, and then delete it from the Main model and VC model. Then re-add it, making sure it's added as the absolute last part to the model in the external Main model.

If you already do this then make sure, as Allen says, that the material is completely transparent; and if you already do that, then re-save the prop disc tex in DXT3 (which I'm sure you're doing!); again, if that doesn't work, then re-save the bomb texture in another format, I use dxt565, or just re-save it again if you're using that format.

Sometimes either FSDS or DXTBmp doesn't do the right thing, even though it's telling you it has!

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks guys, you are the best. Evidently this was a glitch. I re saved everything one thing at a time as Shessi suggested. The prop disc material was not saving as transparent. It had saved as the default texture. Looking back over my previous models, most have been doing that. Resetting the base material of the prop disc as the last thing before the final save seems to work.

Mav,

FSDS uses 2 types of an alpha in the textures. There is the DTX alpha which blanks out texture parts and there is a completely different kind of texture file used for the VC instrument panel. It is a bitmap that must have a title beginning with a $ sign and the .bmp removed. So you will sometimes see these texture files (example a file titled $pan1) included in the textures folder in order to have the external model instrument panel also show the instruments.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Captain Kurt,

I am glad that you have fixed the problem.

Save a copy of your prop0_blurred disc material, and then delete it from the Main model and VC model. Then re-add it, making sure it's added as the absolute last part to the model in the external Main model.

There is an easier way to perform this procedure as suggested by Shessi. Just select all the propeller parts (still, slowed, and blurred) and hit cntrl-c (copy), delete, and control-v (paste) will fix it.

Andrew

Members who have read this thread: 0