New airport for Ed to look at

Thread: New airport for Ed to look at

SOH-CM-2023

New airport for Ed to look at

Just randomly spotted this airport in the sim by a lake in Texas and it looked cool. Looked at it in Google maps and street view and it looks like it'd be an awesome project. Close streets on all sides so good info for buildings.

Gun Barrel City Airpark TX on the Cedar Creek Reservoir FAA: 74XA

https://www.gunbarrelcityairpark.com/index.html
    You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2023
    My bad.... IN the sim it's 6TX5 Harbor Point
    You can't take the sky from me...

Unless I'm Mistaken

These two are not the same airport. True 74XA is not in FSX (I don't know about the other sims) but Harbor Park was a separate airport in Mabank TX according to both AOPA and also Skyvector. Skyvector and AOPA show 6TX5 as Baptist St Anthony's Hospital Heliport though you CAN find it listed as Harbor Point but the latest information in PilotNav shows that it is closed and the FAA code is now assigned to Baptist St Anthony's. Means that somebody can create 74XA for the sims. Anyone with MSFS is 74XA in that sim?

This Was Intriguing

This was intriguing when I checked it out online and in Google Earth so I have decided to do it. I am making it without photoreal scenery so that I can make it match FSX to start. The first step was to remove the non-existent 6TX5 Harbor Point Airport that is no longer there. I checked Google and found on FSDeveloper how to remove the airport properly so that it will not mess up FSX. ACES world scenery files contain lots of little airports in each segment I found. If I didn't care about any in the area then I would just remove the particular aglxxxxxxx but that is not how to properly do it so I deleted the runway and then used the polygon exclude to remove the airport background and you can see in the photo below its all gone. The Cessna is in someone's back yard. These two bgl's will be in the 74XA scenery folder.

Airnav

Just printed out the information for Gun Barrel City Airpark and I see that it was not activated until January 2012 so I can see why it is not in FSX or P3D's. As you read above, Harbor Point is no longer there at all, just residential area and prairie land. Since I have COVID 19 this will be slow going but it keeps me busy just short spurts of energy and then tired and work quits. As I progress slowly I'll keep posting here.

Progress

All the streets have been laid out according to Google Earth photos and matching up houses, mobiles and hangers in and around the runway. I also wanted to get Pilot Controlled Lighting using the Airfield Lighting Toolbox but couldn't get it to do what I wanted so I just deleted that from the airport and placed the runway end lights in Airport Design Editor. That's enough for one day.

Two new hangers

I was able to complete two more hangers and placed a lot of default houses according to Google Earth and Streetview. Here is one of the hangers. As you can tell from Falcon 409's post he will not be doing anymore scenery for flightsim because of his real life committment. Good luck Ed. Thank you for all the years of fantastic scenery and all the help you have been to me.

Here is another shot of hangers and buildings

Its coming along. Here is another shot of some hangers and buildings

Looking very nice. Looking like an airport for sure.

Regarding the title subject, see this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Future-Scenery

Looking good. Guess you are the heir apparent to Ed now.

There are BIG

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Looking good. Guess you are the heir apparent to Ed now.
    I am going to try and do my best because he left some really BIG shoes to fill when it comes to scenery and airports. Those of us who have been here on SOH for a while have seen a lot of really good designers leave gaps in the flightsim community. I AM glad that Ed is leaving for his own personal reason and not because someone "ticked" him off as has happened with others in the past.

COVID Stinks!

I haven't been feeling real enough to do anything with this until today and finished up the "Flying Grape And Bean" sadly now closed for good. When it was a restaurant it was a different color with signs on it. Now it is still there but I don't believe anyone is in it at present. I really liked its style and worked for two days on it to get it to here. I am going to make one change in Sketchup and remove the bright green grass and let the autogen background handle the grass area. It was a challenge to get it right but I am pleased that it looks in FSX like it looks in MCX and Sketchup. The flag is SODE. This is an earlier one and I believe I am going to change it out for the better one that Bushpilot and I created together last year. Here it is:

Just Fixed and More

I just made the changes to this to rid it of the bright green grass so unrealistic and also added the deluxe SODE US Flag which has full animation depending on wind. I also discovered that the field does not have a wind sock but a tetrahedron wind indicator which I placed in its location. Its not SODE but FSX and placed with ADEx. Now its time to try and sleep. Its been a long day.

Wound It Up

I decided that this is "customized" enough and filled out the buildings on the Google Earth Satelitte Images I was using with FSX generic buildings just so it has buildings where there are buildings. I have custom mobile homes, hangers and other buildings that I built. Since I am not proficient at all in autogen annotator I am just putting this into FSX without photoreal scenery so that all seasons show as they should. It's interesting in the real life description of Gun Barrel City area:

"The most pleasant months of the year for Gun Barrel City are October, April and May. In Gun Barrel City, there are 3 comfortable months with high temperatures in the range of 70-85°. August is the hottest month for Gun Barrel City with an average high temperature of 95.0°, which ranks it as about average compared to other places in Texas. February is the snowiest month in Gun Barrel City with 0.3 inches of snow, and no months of the year have significant snowfall. The most uncomfortably humid months are July, August and June." Quoted from Best Places To Live
    I am going to check this out one more time in FSX today and then if I am satisfied I will post it in the Warbirds Library for whoever would like to share my work.

Photoreal Background

I just finished creating photoreal tiles background for 74XA in SBuilder just to see how it looks. I can see how Google Earth and FSX are so different because in researching I found that Gun Barrel City didn't really develop until 2010 well after FS9 and FSX scenery was created. In FSX the background is a lot of farmland which it probably was with Harbor Point Airport there too. Anyway when I looked at the PR in FSX from the air it looks good BUT nothing is aligned at all and I choose not to start from scratch with it so I am releasing it as it is no photoreal. Be sure to carefully do the README or you will have issues with conflicts with default FSX. I don't know about P3D versions.

I have just uploaded the complete package in the Warbirds Library.

Members who have read this thread: 0