FLY-BY View Mode = ON !

Thread: FLY-BY View Mode = ON !

FLY-BY View Mode = ON !

Are you also waiting with baited breath for MS/Asobo to finally give us our beloved 'Fly-By View' back ? It's on the Developers Udate wish list for months already. Hopefully maybe this year but 'Planned' is its only stage sofar. No worries because it's here and now already !!

Yep, Fly-By View has been here in MSFS all along, hidden behind a mystical curtain inside the MSFS Camera Menu.

Thanks to MSFS Wizard and Magical Magician Dean Crawford the magic formula has now been revealed !

Check this out:

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    ( To use the fly-by camera, switch to Showcase Camera using the in-game menu while sitting on the runway, Reset the position, then select Track mode on, follow mode off. Then slew to a mid-field position for where the crowd line would be. Now, as you fly, the camera will track you as if being filmed by a viewer. )
    An important rectification here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1281041

The whole Fly-By View thread is here ( don't forget to watch Dean's F-14 video. It shows what the MSFS Fly-By View and 'Fly-By Sound!' entails !
    I'd say Holy-Moly!! is the word ! ) http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1279964

Just saying ....

Can you please explain how to " slew - to a mid-field position " ?

Im waiting personally for Chaseplane for MSFS, I think firstly we will see it here than official view in MSFS .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

As fly-by is one of the most hotly requested items, one would have to think it will be incorporated in the next major SU. They'd be crazy not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronnx View Post
    Can you please explain how to " slew - to a mid-field position " ?
    Well, you can slew to anywhere you want by hitting the 'Y' key, i believe that's the default key for slew (it's a toggle key, hit it again to get out of slew mode). Numberpad 4,6,8,2 = left, right, forward, backward respectively and 1 and 3 to rotate. You can either slew to the point you want to view your air display before going into the Showcase camera or when you're already in Showcase camera. In the latter case you have to switch the Drone Lock- and Drone Follow Mode around again (Drone Follow = Off, Drone Lock = On). And remember to hit the Reset Position bar once you found your prefered view spot.

It takes some practise but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. The sky is really the limit here. (check out the T-6 if you have it, the fly-by sound is awesome ! )

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Im waiting personally for Chaseplane for MSFS, I think firstly we will see it here than official view in MSFS .
    IIRC the FSX/P3D Chaseplane version did not have a Fly-By View mode, did it ?.... The BEST EVER Fly-By camera EVER was done by a Belgian software dev called AntiCyclone and released under the name of "Active Camera" for FS9. One of the most innovative features was: while on final approach, runway in sight, from within the VC, hit a spot alongside the runway (with your cursor, yep !) and watch your approach and landing from that exact spot during Replay. Magical !

I tried all i could but i could not persuade them to forward their magical Active Camera to FSX...

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    As fly-by is one of the most hotly requested items, one would have to think it will be incorporated in the next major SU. They'd be crazy not to.
    After one and a half year of breathtaking MSFS i can't even remember if we had a dedicated Fly-By camera in FSX/P3D..... ;-)

IIRC MS/Aces Studio were never really keen to implement a Fly-By View Mode. Third party Active Camera was truly magical in FS9 but didn't make it to FSX. A clever guy at Avsim managed to modify the totally useless 'Runway Facillities View' in FSX to a Fly-By camera which was really great but P3D did not like it.... No more Fly-By...

Personally i am over the moon by Dean's find to finally make a Fly-By Camera happen in MSFS. Must say i am totally unsure about if this was caused by an update or if this option to create a Fly-By Camera view has been there all along. If that'll prove to be true some day i'd sure have a few words to say to Mister and Misses MS/Asobo.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    this was done after I read this thread
    https://youtu.be/zENv4S__D6c?t=339

and this
    https://youtu.be/4RlBsIodyHE?t=368
    Getting the hang of it, Heywoood !

Takes some practise, testing and training doesn't it... ;-) I've always loved to use my low and slow planes for a bit of RC fun. Usually take the tower as my view spot. Fly-By sounds are awesome, much better than FSX/P3D. Best is when you 'have to duck' ! You know, like that Spitfire reporter.

Got that Replay gadget as well. Then you can fly from the seat and replay it with the Fly-By camera. Practise, Practise, Practise !

I tried but I find it way too difficult

Why wouldn't Asobo do something like that ?

https://youtu.be/kX78-X77uFY
    It's incredible easy, 2-3 buttons....

Holy Moly! Yes, that's something we can only look at and listen to with envy.... Wow!!

Of course we cannot compare this with what we have now in MSFS as a first implementation of a Fly-By Camera. It *does* work but needs a bit of practise and getting used to. Personally i am very happy with it and getting better at it, easier workable if you will, each time i do a session. Not anything like the DCS Sonic Boom sound (amazing ! ) but i still very much love the Fly-By sounds here in MSFS now because way better than what i was used to with FSX/P3D (well, mostly and possibly external only, i still think Tufun created one of the best ever internal and external FSX/P3D sounds with his amazing C-47/DC-3 sound suite. Pratt&Whitney rules! ;-)

(there's no C-47/DC-3 in DCS, is there ?.... B-17 perhaps ?....)

Thanks for the video, Bronnx, very interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Not anything like the DCS Sonic Boom sound (amazing ! )
    What? My aircraft have had sonic booms for months - check the F-16 demo for the final fast fly-by, complete with transonic vapor etc.

I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

I got this working, but the Showcase view tracking could not keep up with the slow JU on close fly-by. Also, I noticed the landing gear woould vanish when the plane was far away from the camera. Must practice my radio control flying skills too. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

there's a slider for 'drone camera rotation speed' er similar - try bumping that up...although that might just be related to user input and not the tracking lock feature
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    What? My aircraft have had sonic booms for months - check the F-16 demo for the final fast fly-by, complete with transonic vapor etc.
    Sorry, Dean, i was not aware of your F-16 Display video just yet. Like your F-14 video it is truly awesome ! Sonic boom too !

I do have your F-16 as well but concentrating on F-14 and carrier ops atm. That's quite a handful!

Question about your Demo Display vids if i may : do you fly them normally from the VC, record them and then use Replay to 'Edit' them ? ( i bought FlightControlReplay by Fabio Merlo but not really comfortable with it..)

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I got this working, but the Showcase view tracking could not keep up with the slow JU on close fly-by. Also, I noticed the landing gear woould vanish when the plane was far away from the camera.
    I see that too. We just have to keep our fixed gear aeroplanes closer to the camera. ;-)

Also see aircraft disappear for a second when closest by. Maybe it's the zoom setting ? I feel comfortable with our new Fly-By toy only for maybe 50% atm. LOTS to learn ! ( also learning the FlightControlReplay gadget at the same time, a bit much to say the least.. hehe ) ( inadvertedly i had *2* FCReplay's running. And one of them kept running while i had closed down the sim and restarted next day ! I could not understand why my plane kept flying on its own ! Bizarre! )

Must practice my radio control flying skills too. ;-)
    Big fun isn't it ! Have to say i'm kind of a 'pro' (ahem), flew RC for real many moons ago and also RealFlight RC sim ( Fantastic ! )

Members who have read this thread: 0