Olympus Users?

Thread: Olympus Users?

Olympus Users?

I'm in the throes of purchasing new kit and while I'm really happy with my elderly Pentax I'm interested in Olympus.
    Not bothering with Nikon or Cannon (Fords and Chevrolets!) as I've heard and read good things about Olympus.
    I'm looking for any opinions from Olympus users if we have any here.
    FWIW I'm budgeting for up to A$10,000.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I'm in the throes of purchasing new kit and while I'm really happy with my elderly Pentax I'm interested in Olympus.
    Not bothering with Nikon or Cannon (Fords and Chevrolets!) as I've heard and read good things about Olympus.
    It's a difficult call. I was very happy with my Olympus E-620 but now they seem to have backed off full frame DSLR's. I've moved over to micro-four thirds with a Lumix system and I've been happy with that but I'd be first to admit that its not the best you can do, although it meets my needs and budget. The fact that the camera division has been sold from Olympus itself (https://www.redsharknews.com/olympus...for-the-future)makes me wonder if they will keep up their reputation for innovation and usability.

Thanks for the reply John.

Interesting reading on that link.
    Oddly enough the Olympus web site directs you to the OM site, which seems to be the 'new' version.
    I've been using an elderly but trusty Pentax K5, still takes most shots I look for but I'm either getting older or it's putting on weight!
    Talking to my usual photography person and while discussing what Pentax has to offer he suggested Olympus as worth consideration.
    So I'm looking at an OM-D E-M1X body and a few lens (to be decided) as a serious alternative to Pentax.
    If I can organise myself I hope to visit the vendor this Monday, I do prefer a face to face when deciding on this type of purchase and the people I deal with have been really helpful in the past.
    Despite the move to a 'new' operation I doubt I will be concerned about the future, 10 years down the line I might be looking for a replacement or I might be deceased!
    Again, thank you for your advice, I'll certainly ask the obvious questions in light of the sale.
    Regards, John L aka wombat666

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0