SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 Wheels Released.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 Wheels Released.

I understand we get several models (tundra, floats etc..) but I'm not sure about that price.
    They mention the NGXi integration... which means the plane has default gauges ?

EDIT: if you buy directly from their website, the price is much better... or is it VAT not applied yet ?
    https://simworksstudios.com/aircraft...odiak-100.html

Their website is down as well - hehe loads of people wanting it I guess.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I understand we get several models (tundra, floats etc..) but I'm not sure about that price.

EDIT: if you buy directly from their website, the price is much better... or is it VAT not applied yet ?
    Regular or tundra wheels, and pod or no-pod - that gives you four external combinations, along with different interior setups, get you a pretty nice variety. The floats will come later as a stand-alone package at about half the price of this one - at least according to what they've been saying.

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow after I get my dad home from rehab.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Im in on the Amphib future, then I'd need Wheel/Skies. At least the base comes with Fatty's, those come in darn handy in the Canadian Attic, especially in Nunavut Territory.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Justflight seems to tag a premium onto stuff they sell, so other sites are often cheaper.

As an example, the SSW F-104 is $33 off Simmarket, but it's $44 from Justflight. Since there's no VAT involved in my case, it's just down to different vendors charging different prices for the same thing.
    Last edited by azflyboy; December 17th, 2021 at 21:40.

It's also on Orbx for quite a premium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kodprem.png  
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Note that you will NOT get the float version for the 29.99 Euros. That's going to be a separate add-on for about 17 Euros. It won't require the main version, though, so it's a good deal if you mainly want floats. Not such a great deal if you want wheels and floats both.

As for the gauges, the real Kodiak uses the G1000, so I don't see why that would be an issue.

The float version is not included and sold separately ?

I know the Kodiac uses a G1000 inside, no issues with that. But I still feel like the price is tailored for P3D instead of the MSFS market...

The float version is not included and sold separately ? I know the Kodiac uses a G1000 inside, no issues with that. But I still feel like the price is tailored for P3D instead of the MSFS market...
    Many of the new issues are high in price. Reveiw of the Kodack seem very good. You do get those automated cup holders. Those alone are worth 5 euros. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Yeah, many of the old-line publishers haven't gotten the memo about lower-priced add-ons on MSFS. It's a bigger, and more important, different market. My guess is you can make more money at a lower price with MSFS because you'll sell more than enough additional planes to make up for the reduced profit margin.

Dean from DC might have an idea on this, as Just Flight priced the F-15 seriously high for this market (though I felt like I got every penny of value, with all of the models, the features, and the great continued support), and the F-14 came out at a price that was noticeably more reasonable. It's not apples to apples, but it'd be interesting to know if the Tomcat sold better at the lower price than the Eagle did.

In this case, I'd probably have picked up the Kodiak at $15-25. But for me, it's too similar to planes I already have (Cessna 208, TBM 930) to spend $40 on it. I'm not saying it doesn't provide a lot of value -- SWS does a superb job with detail, flight models, etc. and there are a ton of liveries. But for me, it's too similar to planes I already have to spend that much. At $20-ish, I'd do it out of curiosity. And proof of the matter -- I probably WILL buy the float version, because it's going to be in the range I'm willing to pay.

I just got done with a short test from W88 to KGSO, and so far, I'm very happy! My only complaint right now is on Asobo - the reverse throttle functions are broken. The only workaround is to bind something to the Decrease Throttle function.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I just got done with a short test from W88 to KGSO, and so far, I'm very happy! My only complaint right now is on Asobo - the reverse throttle functions are broken. The only workaround is to bind something to the Decrease Throttle function.
    I spent some coin today on this model and access reverse throttle using a mouse click and drag. A bit tricky managing throttle idol, reverse throttle, and prop pitch, otherwise the plane goes careening down the runway. Fun aircraft. Looking for a coffee cup for the holder. - d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I've got reverse thrust to work but had to be in a cockpit view & used the left mouse button held down on the throttle lever to drag it all the way back.
    Need to push the throttle fwd to zero throttle quite quickly or aircraft starts going backwards at a fast clip.
    T43

It's the key/button binding for toggle or hold reverse that's broken. Up until now, what I did was pull the throttle back to idle, press a button on my throttle right under my thumb, then push the throttle forward again. The animation in the cockpit and the sim itself went into the beta/reverse range. The only way to do that now is to bind that button to Decrease Throttle. But the problem is that trying to use the beta range to control taxiing is next to impossible now.

Looking for a coffee cup for the holder.
    Back in FS9, I had a fictional plane that had a cup holder with a can in it. That can had a wrap-around texture. I replaced the cola texture with something from a more "adult" beverage.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

If you use a custom registration in the sim, please see this thread at the official board:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...allsign/482669
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Btw, what about the float version?
    Will it be full package or only upgrade (with good price) of wheeled version?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Ahh, its here :

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Regular or tundra wheels, and pod or no-pod - that gives you four external combinations, along with different interior setups, get you a pretty nice variety. The floats will come later as a stand-alone package at about half the price of this one - at least according to what they've been saying.

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow after I get my dad home from rehab.
    Thx. Personally, I am a bit surprised by this solution .....
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

So, after b*&%ng about the price that was announced I saw it was more reasonable to purchase directly from SWS. But there seems to always be a hidden cost as the download has been consistently quitting on me at around 50% complete and I've been trying since last night using their direct download along with each of the alternative download links that they offer. All have the same result. Would love to hear if anyone has any ideas. I tried turning off virus protection but got the same negative results with that, too.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Thx. Personally, I am a bit surprised by this solution .....
    I suppose they figure some people are already happy with the Caravan for the type of mission both planes are good at, but since there's no float version of the Cessna, they'll be able to sell the floater as a separate package to fill that void.

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    So, after b*&%ng about the price that was announced I saw it was more reasonable to purchase directly from SWS. But there seems to always be a hidden cost as the download has been consistently quitting on me at around 50% complete and I've been trying since last night using their direct download along with each of the alternative download links that they offer. All have the same result. Would love to hear if anyone has any ideas. I tried turning off virus protection but got the same negative results with that, too.

LouP
    I remembered reading about d/l issues from their system, but couldn't find it. After comparing prices, I decided to spend the extra and buy a little peace of mind getting from Orbx. Their Orbx Central app makes purchase and install dirt simple and I've never had an issue with it.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'm also going to be going through the aircraft.cfg files for more edits. There are currently 45 variants marked as available for AI (IsAirTraffic=1), which means Kodiaks currently outnumber all other planes anywhere I go.

Edit: Did a mass substitute operation using Notepad++ to change all 45 IsAirTraffic=1 to IsAirTraffic=0, then then started the sim and cherry picked 3 no-pod and 2 pod variants. I then restored those five back to IsAirTraffic=1. The Kodiak population in my virtual world should now be a little more under control.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; December 19th, 2021 at 12:59.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

And just like that, it worked all of a sudden. Thank you whoever fixed it.

LouP

There's an update available - 1.0.4 is the new version. Orbx has it, so I'm guessing most of the other outlets have it by now too.

Fixes:
    Reduced excessive propwash and P-Factor causing the plane to lose control at aft CG takeoffs
    Fixed tail wobbling beyond 30 kts
    Fixed floating stitches in Summit interior
    Fixed aircraft.cfg entries that precluded ATC from calling custom campaigns and tail numbers.
    Changed G1000 logic to enable night dimming.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'm still loving this thing. I haven't flown anything else since it was released. I just did a night flight in it the first time, flying in real time/weather from Barcelona to Ibiza, arriving just before the new year (local time). The weather wasn't great over the island, with low clouds/fog trying to block the runway's visibility, so it was the first time I had the chance to use the ILS. It held pretty steady, but a thread in the official forum is following the dev's work to improve it further. I see a lot more enjoyment from this one in the future!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Let me say upfront that I have worked with SWS in the past. I helped with both the F-4 and the T-37 for P3D. I was asked if I might help with an upcoming project, which I turned down. I have retired from Beta testing and no longer test for any company.

That is not why I am writing this, however. I will simply say that if you are on the fence with the Kodiak, I recommend you buy it. If you think it is too costly, I recommend that you revisit that decision. In my opinion the plane is that good. I bought the Kodiak directly from SWS a week ago. I just got around to flying it, and I can see why Tom is so high on it.

I have been disappointed on several of the last few airplanes I have purchased. The trend sees to be to be a pretty face and not much upstairs, is what's wanted. That may be true for a lot of people. It isn’t for me. While I don’t expect nor want an airplane that is study level, I do want them to offer more than a cursory approach to systems operation. I don’t buy planes to use in screenshots. I buy them to fly and expect them to be more or less faithful to the actual airplane.

The Kodiak does this and more. On the first test flight, everything worked. I was schoked! The plane looked inside and out like the real airplane. It handles like I would assume the real airplane handles. The sounds sound real to me. I didn’t see any glaring errors in cockpit visuals. I didn’t look closely at the exterior, because I fly the airplane from the inside with a HP Reverb G2 VR headset. I usually only go outside the to check the gear is actually down. Something not needed in the Kodiak.

I purchased the African scenery with the Kodiak. I am looking forward to going seafaring from the air. And, trying to nail some of those hidden airstrips.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0