OT Peter Jackson WWI aircraft collection

Thread: OT Peter Jackson WWI aircraft collection

OT Peter Jackson WWI aircraft collection

"Sorry, no matches" it says when i searched for Peter Jackson. So i figure it could be that this 45 minutes documentary of Mr. Jackson's massive WWI aeroplanes collection might be new to some of you here, like it was to me. Good chance because the movie premiered only recently at November 8. I also searched the FSX forum for the Lord of Rings Director (no wonder, he IS a hobbit, isn't he..;o) with many hits turning up. These mostly pertain to his likewise amazing website ( http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/ ).

So, anyone with an interest in WWI aeroplanes wouldn't want to miss this : https://youtu.be/7gmZ9X9Aplk

Did we ever find out why his model company, "Wingnut Wings," went out of business? I had heard there was some creative book keeping going on, but I honestly don't know what happened.

IIRC 'Wingnuts' ceased trading due to a lack of interest (ie lack of sales) in the series.
    It was always a niche market and an expensive 'limited' production run but the models were outstanding.
    Not sure of the numbers but when the Nationals rolled around anything 'Great War' was vastly overwhelmed by modern day subjects.
    Those of us who loved 'Wingnuts' are part of a small but enthusiastic crew who are grateful to PJ.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have a mint, boxed SE5a which ws used as reference for our SE5a for Just Flight. I am hanging onto it now. For me, the saddest part of the closure was the ceasing of the Lancaster in 1:32. The development pics and early plastics tests looked amazing. They had even modeled in the metal puffing. It's gone. Forever.

Baz, do you remember the stink the 'Political Correctness Nazis' kicked up over the proposed 'Dambusters' movie?
    Bloody Muppets!!!

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Yes, we are losing so much. If you don't have history in all its ugliness as well as beauty, how are we ever going to learn anything? Just look what's happening to this simulator with regard to anything miitary. It is one reason why you probably won't see any of our warbirds in the Marketplace. A Lancaster without bombs, turrets without Brownings? What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    For me, the saddest part of the closure was the ceasing of the Lancaster in 1:32. The development pics and early plastics tests looked amazing. They had even modeled in the metal puffing. It's gone. Forever.
    Fortunately you are wrong. The Chinese company "Border Model" purchased the incomplete molds and finished the project! There is now a dispute in regards to the legality of this deal with Wingnut Wings, but the kit should be released by end of December. It won't be cheap as it will be just under A$ 1000.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...december-2021/

Well I guess that's something but there was something "bespoke" about Wingnut products. The packaging and presentation was meticulous and one felt that you had something special for your money. Not sure the Chinese are going to replicate that aspect. That price is something else too. The new company formed by the "survivors"looks interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by skylineapa View Post
    Fortunately you are wrong. The Chinese company "Border Model" purchased the incomplete molds and finished the project! There is now a dispute in regards to the legality of this deal with Wingnut Wings, but the kit should be released by end of December. It won't be cheap as it will be just under A$ 1000.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...december-2021/
    'Made In China' and around A$1000.......not as long as my butt points down would I entertain such an idea.
    'Wingnuts' were 'Wingnuts' and thus they will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    'Made In China' and around A$1000.......not as long as my butt points down would I entertain such and idea.
    Hmm , i model only ships 1/700 scale but i gotta say that the detail on some of the chinese manufacturers is unsurpassed

http://www.flyhawkmodel.com/html/Flyhawkmodel/

Fortunately, I have many of the Wingnut Wings model kits in my basement awaiting construction. Not all, mind you, but the ones I really wanted. But the price of model kits is just getting nuts. The new 1/48 Revell SR-71 is $120.00 full list. I'll buy the oddball expensive kit, if it's something I really want and it's well done. The next kit will be the G.W.H. 1/48 Su-30SMH. To the best of my knowledge, they're the only manufacturer whose Flanker kit has the proper double curvature in the cross-section of the LERX. I wanted that 1/48 Skyshark, but that kit is $80. It's just ridiculous. Especially considering the quality Tamiya has been putting out in their newer 1/48 kits for a good price. Of course, I have to pick up the new Eduard 1/48 early Zero, since Tamiya hasn't updated their early model.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    'Made In China' and around A$1000.......not as long as my butt points down would I entertain such an idea.
    There are some great kits "Made in China" and many Wingnut Wings kits had been made in China (the plastic that is)! The started Wingnut Wings Lancaster mold was made in China too and Wingnut Wings would have most likely charged around A$1000 as well.

Some of the Wingnut crew have formed a new company called Kotare (Maori for Kingfisher) and the first product off the line is a 1/32nd Mk 1 Spitfire

https://www.kotare-models.com/

Yes, looking forward to this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0