Avro York

Thread: Avro York

Avro York

Always one of my favorite planes. I was wondering if any were available with VC flight decks. I love Manfred Jahn's Avro York, but it has no VC. I do all of my flying with TrackIR. Just wondering.

Steve
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Not to my knowledge im afraid, its one of Manfred's earliest creation's, but its a very nice external model and quite a lot of good repaints. i dont have many non VC models in my hanger, but Yan Tao's Mig19 and the York are in there

OK, thanks Ian.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

A while ago NormB taught me a way to make a pseudo-VC or non-dynamic VC by making the interior of the model visible in VC View. You won't have instruments on the panel unless the modeler put in a panel with painted-on instruments that would be visible looking in through the windows and then they'll be visible but won't actually work. But you'll be inside the plane looking out through the windscreen and windows instead of just having your eyepoint floating in the ozone. I've done it with some models and it's better than nothing.

Using your favorite hex editor, open model file, search for "68 00" in hex mode.
    If next number pair is "02" then change it to "03" and save.
    Then set the eyepoint as you like it in the [Views] section of aircraft.cfg file:
    1st figure = Fore (+) & Aft (-)
    2nd figure = Right (+) & Left (-)
    3rd figure = Up (+) & Down (-)

I use hex editor XVI32 which is a freeware download. I don't know anything about hex editors; I just follow Norm's instructions. The only other thing I know how to do with a hex editor is to make a hopelessly awful VC disappear.

Thanks Mick, defiantly going to have a play with this

I'm in! Many thanks for that wonderful tip, Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	85403

Brian

Looks good Brian, but i could only find line 68010, and i couldnt figure what to edit

Hmm, that's strange. I opened the MDL file using XVI32 and clicked 'seach' and then 'find'. I then searched for the Hex String 68 00.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	85404

This found the bit that we're looking for.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	758.5 KB 
ID:	85405

I then clicked on 02, and typed 03.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	758.4 KB 
ID:	85406

Then you'll want to click 'File' and then 'Save'. I hope this helps you, Ian.

Brian

It didnt occur to me to use the search function , i just looked down the left hand column , thanks Brian

Oh cool! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    It didnt occur to me to use the search function , i just looked down the left hand column , thanks Brian
    Glad to help, Ian.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IFlySWA View Post
    I'm in! Many thanks for that wonderful tip, Mick.
    Brian
    It's NormB who deserves the thanks, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    It's NormB who deserves the thanks, not me.
    But you passed along the tip. Thank you NormB!

Brian

And I got it from a publication from one of the wizzes here some time back. Part of some modification instructions I think.

I've used it on lots of old models to enable seeing the cabin framing and exterior parts. Works on most, others not.

NormB

Members who have read this thread: 0