Fokker Dr1

Thread: Fokker Dr1

Fokker Dr1

I like vintage aircraft and have flown some in flight sims.My favorite for WWI was the Fokker Dr1.In the WWI combat sim I flew I always flew it and did my own paint scheme,it was black and instead of white it was red with black crosses and the fuselage had a black widow instead of the cross,named The Black Widow.

I ordered a 3/4 replica which has to be built and they say will take at least 400 hours to do.Thankfully my plane mechanic will have it built for me,he knows others that have done this before.

Empty weight is about 350 lbs

Stall speed 30 mph

Top speed 64 mph

If this works out and I am satisfied with it I may get a WWII replica also.Thinking a Mustang or Spitfire.I have flown a restored P-51D a few years ago and I loved it.

Hiede

Look out for flying dog houses!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    Look out for flying dog houses!
    Very funny but I made some pies out of the Great Pumpkin so Snoopy has no new battle plan.I also have counter measures that will be very effective called soup bones and steaks.He'll be foiled again.

Hiede

That must be an Airdrome Aeroplanes kit from Robert Baslee. Do you intend to use a VW engine conversion to power it as his design intends, or substitute it with a Rotax radial?

You will have a blast flying it. When we moved back to Colorado from Oahu I was looking at his Nieuport 28 kit but then the annual physical turned up a minor heart murmur. No more flying for me - thanks FAA!

In my younger days I built and flew a Starduster II and an AcroSport 2. I really wish these much simpler kits had been available back then. Those were 2000 hour plus builds -- but were a lot of fun flying aerobatics with them.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    That must be an Airdrome Aeroplanes kit from Robert Baslee. Do you intend to use a VW engine conversion to power it as his design intends, or substitute it with a Rotax radial?

You will have a blast flying it. When we moved back to Colorado from Oahu I was looking at his Nieuport 28 kit but then the annual physical turned up a minor heart murmur. No more flying for me - thanks FAA!

In my younger days I built and flew a Starduster II and an AcroSport 2. I really wish these much simpler kits had been available back then. Those were 2000 hour plus builds -- but were a lot of fun flying aerobatics with them.
    Captain Kurt,

Sorry to hear you can't fly anymore.

I fly the Baron to go Island hopping most times,but also use the boat for a long weekend or to get away for a week or two.My daughter really enjoys sailing.She is also wants to learn to fly.

I'm getting the 3/4 scale and not the full scale.Even the Mustang and Spitfire are 3/4 scale.

The engine.

Rotax 582

2 cylinder 2 stroke 64 hp.

Hiede

I just heard today everything will be here sometime next month.Maybe by summer it will be ready to fly,but I'm not going my mechanic and his friends to build it.Safety comes first.

Hiede

The plane is now being built and estimated time to be finished sometime in August.

Hiede

We'll want some pics when done Hiede

Actually some progress pics would be cool too.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

We'll want some pics when done Hiede

Actually some progress pics would be cool too.
    They have just started building it.I will checking the progress at the end of the,don't want to be a nuisance.

I will be going away after my son gets finished with the school year ( late May ).We haven't been on a long cruise since 2019 so wanted to take my daughter and son on one because they also miss it,plus my daughter starts college in the fall.We will be back in August.

Hiede

That must be an Airdrome Aeroplanes kit from Robert Baslee. Do you intend to use a VW engine conversion to power it as his design intends, or substitute it with a Rotax radial
    The VW engine conversion will installed.My mechanic said he can do it after the New Year.

Hiede

Members who have read this thread: 1