Organization of downloaded addon files from Flightsim.to?

Thread: Organization of downloaded addon files from Flightsim.to?

Organization of downloaded addon files from Flightsim.to?

I have downloaded a TON of files from Flightsim.to. It is truly a awesome website, and the sceneries are amazing, along with the freeware aircraft too! I have learned, however, to rename the file that I actually add to my MSFS library (to be used with Addon-Linker freeware software...downloaded from Flightsim.to, naturally). If I don't rename the files, quite often I will have no clue as to what it is. A lot of the time, the creator of the addon might not give it a name that makes it clear just what the addon file is. So when I extract it, I make sure that the new name reflects, for example, the airport ID code, so I can at least know what scenery I am activating in MSFS, through the use of Addon-Linker.How do you folks do it? What is your organization steps, if any? There is another addon, "MFS Addon Collector" that is very interesting, but the learning curve for it is too steep for me. NC

I don't have a lot in my Community folder, so I haven't needed the Linker yet. But I still rename everything before it goes in. Generally, the first word is what it is, then the version is usually last. Here's a list of what I have:

.Library esd-eolib v21.8.30
    .Library French Grass Airport Objects v1.2
    .Library nzasimulations-modellib-nza
    .Library tsr-windy-things 1.08.1
    Aircraft Cessna 208B No Pod v1.2 SU5
    Aircraft DA62X v.0.6.0
    Aircraft MXA Amphib Fictional
    Airport EGLC Orbx 1.2.0
    Airport KACK Nantucket Island
    Airport KAVX Catalina ORBX
    Airport KBUY Burlington NC
    Airport KCGX Meigs 1.6
    Airport KDAL V2.0.1
    Airport KDAN
    Airport KGCN Grand Canyon
    Airport KHXD Hilton Head
    Airport KMDW Chicago Midway V3.1
    Airport KMSY NOLA
    Airport KRTS Reno-Stead v1.2.0
    Airport NZRA Raglan NZ
    Airport OG20 Fairways ORBX
    Airport PHHN Hana
    Airport PHTO V1.1
    Airport TKPK R L Bradshaw
    Airport TKPN Vance W Amory
    Gauge pms50-gns530 v1.0.43
    Gauge workingtitle-g3000-v0.7.6
    Misc NoToolbarHandle
    Misc Red Flashlight
    Misc Toolbar Pushback v1.3.1
    Misc Unreal Weather 1.7b
    Nav Data LFMN Fix
    Performance Bonanza Turbo V4.1 SU6
    Performance C208B v1.18.11
    Performance King Air Engine Fix
    Performance XCub v2.4
    Scenery a-puf-we-love-vfr-region2
    Scenery Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
    Scenery Hoover Dam
    Scenery Kennedy Space Center aquilasim
    Scenery Navaid Objects
    Scenery projectionist-pearlharbor
    Scenery South Mt AZ Towers
    Texture TBM930 Propfix
    Texture XCub Propfix
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I don't have a lot in my Community folder, so I haven't needed the Linker yet. But I still rename everything before it goes in. Generally, the first word is what it is, then the version is usually last. Here's a list of what I have:

.Library esd-eolib v21.8.30
    .Library French Grass Airport Objects v1.2
    .Library nzasimulations-modellib-nza
    .Library tsr-windy-things 1.08.1
    Aircraft Cessna 208B No Pod v1.2 SU5
    Aircraft DA62X v.0.6.0
    Aircraft MXA Amphib Fictional
    Airport EGLC Orbx 1.2.0
    Airport KACK Nantucket Island
    Airport KAVX Catalina ORBX
    Airport KBUY Burlington NC
    Airport KCGX Meigs 1.6
    Airport KDAL V2.0.1
    Airport KDAN
    Airport KGCN Grand Canyon
    Airport KHXD Hilton Head
    Airport KMDW Chicago Midway V3.1
    Airport KMSY NOLA
    Airport KRTS Reno-Stead v1.2.0
    Airport NZRA Raglan NZ
    Airport OG20 Fairways ORBX
    Airport PHHN Hana
    Airport PHTO V1.1
    Airport TKPK R L Bradshaw
    Airport TKPN Vance W Amory
    Gauge pms50-gns530 v1.0.43
    Gauge workingtitle-g3000-v0.7.6
    Misc NoToolbarHandle
    Misc Red Flashlight
    Misc Toolbar Pushback v1.3.1
    Misc Unreal Weather 1.7b
    Nav Data LFMN Fix
    Performance Bonanza Turbo V4.1 SU6
    Performance C208B v1.18.11
    Performance King Air Engine Fix
    Performance XCub v2.4
    Scenery a-puf-we-love-vfr-region2
    Scenery Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
    Scenery Hoover Dam
    Scenery Kennedy Space Center aquilasim
    Scenery Navaid Objects
    Scenery projectionist-pearlharbor
    Scenery South Mt AZ Towers
    Texture TBM930 Propfix
    Texture XCub Propfix

Thanks Tom,

I had messaged Flightsim.to admin about it sometime back, asking if there was some way that submitters could adhere to a format that would standardize the naming of files. That way, renaming wouldn't be needed. So far, my suggestion is not being listened to. No matter, but it sure would save a lot of time! NC

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Agreed Fellas. It is a real hodge-podge over there. I always renamed the many freeware files and some payware ones also. I must keep my OCD in check

I'll give a shout out to all of the artist who keep this hobby going !

I think that addon files system was better in FSX (or P3D and even FS2004) than MSFS. In those days one could put scenery files anywhere and rename them many ways. Aircraft went to Simobject folder but anybody was able to add there sub folders (while declared in FSX.cfg).

I made in scenery folder sub folders for continents and there for countries and there renamed airports starting with their ICAO codes and towns (and such addons) with their names. In Simobjects I had different folders for flyable aircraft and AI aircraft etc.

Why?

At the best (or worst) I had more than 300 GB addons (thousands!) in my FSX. In system like MSFS it would have taken hours to find anything for example to edit.

all my repaints start with JK_(planetype_name), so they should be easy to organise, I hope that helps?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I copied this idea of yours, some that I made available on flight.to this one with initial MD, but I liked the idea of putting Library, Aircraft, Scenery, texture, this makes it easier
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

I hesitate to rename my add-ons because I think some updates, skins, and "add-ons to add-ons" may be looking for the original folder name. Some, like the no-scratch canopy mods, need to have an alphabetically later folder name so they load later.
    A mod manager that lets you sort and filter by various criteria is the solution once you get over 100 mods or so.
    August

So by doing this (renaming), do you need to change the json file or manifest file ? Or is it just rename and put it in the community folder And you are good to go ?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    I hesitate to rename my add-ons because I think some updates, skins, and "add-ons to add-ons" may be looking for the original folder name. Some, like the no-scratch canopy mods, need to have an alphabetically later folder name so they load later.
    A mod manager that lets you sort and filter by various criteria is the solution once you get over 100 mods or so.
    August
    It should be ok, as things like "addons to addons" should be looking, for example, for the simobjects folder name and not the folder names in the Community folder. But yes, there are addons such as the no scratch canopy bundle that read Community folder names as well.

As a bit of an aside, anyone who has a lot of addons, especially older scenery packages that have not been updated, should run ModelLibChanger. This thread will explain why better than I ever could, but basically it will prevent mods from conflicting with one another and fix issues such as missing models, incorrect models and sometimes CTD's. Read the instructions, backup your Community folder and then reread the instructions before you use it. Also, just ignore the "Rebuild (file count difference)" errors, you are strictly looking for bad modellib files to rename them to something unique.

Quote Originally Posted by flewpastu View Post
    So by doing this (renaming), do you need to change the json file or manifest file ? Or is it just rename and put it in the community folder And you are good to go ? Bill
    I personally have not had any problems after renaming the addon file. The only thing I have to remember, is if a update is posted for a addon, I need to make sure I delete the contents of the original before replacing it with the updated files. NC

Thanks for the reply's

Bill

I rename my libraries with .Library... due to the face that the sim loads in alphabetic order. Some of my airport addons require the libraries, so I want them loading first. The rest are all pretty much independent, so naming according to type doesn't make any difference.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I have amassed almost 3TB of add-ons since the release of MSFS, and the beginning days of Flightsim.to. Until last week, I used Addon Linker, but am now giving Addon Collector a try as well. I rely a lot on YouTube to learn how to use apps, but I have found zippity-doodah videos about the Collector app. It does, however, have quite a extensive manual. The Addon Linker program does not have a manual, but videos are easily found. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0