UKMIL Buccaneer: payloads help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UKMIL Buccaneer: payloads help!

RAF Laarbruch

Here is a link at Flyaway Simulation to RAF Laarbruch. I found Laarbruch at Simviation but it is the modern airport version not the RAF Base.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...ch-ab-scenery/

Thanks Paul, now we can fly all over with the Buccaneer.

Question on the Lossimouth scenery. Did you have to install Ian's FSX Yeovilton V4 scenery as well as required in the readme file?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Affirmative

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Question on the Lossimouth scenery. Did you have to install Ian's FSX Yeovilton V4 scenery as well as required in the readme file?
    Yes I had to install it as he said and also had to go to Ian's sight and download and install all his scenery items from there to make all the buildings and vehicles appear. It was a little involved but worth it when it was done. You have to copy the BGLs from Yeovilton scenery into Lossiemouth scenery with the exception of the first 5 which are roads and airport files and the ai traffic bgl. I don't know why there is a Swordfish so I didn't install that at Yelvilton. If someone knows why in real life like Paul give insight please.

Looks Like

From the action in this post it looks like there is a lot of interest in the Buccaneer. If Join FS is still working maybe sometime in the near future we could get a multiplayer flight going on some Saturday if we can coordinate the time differences between those of us here, like 19:00 GMT which gives US West Coast 11:00 local, US East Coast 14:00 local and Europe 19:00 or 20:00 in the evening. That I think could be possible if anyone is interested. Might be fun.

RAF Honington

Just installed and activated RAF Honington and went out there with "BOB" to look around. Although it is FS9, it works perfectly in FSX(A). The one caution for FSX and P3D in the pdf README is to NOT install Matt's trees which as an FS9 object will be flat not 3D and the textures could be all black. I am very pleased that all the fences have a proper texture. I installed an FS9 Nantucket before getting ORBX and all the trees and the fences had black textures making them unusable. I believe though that Honington won't be usable in P3DV4.5or V5 though sadly. Also just found MAIW has the textures for the S2 Buccaneer for 287OCU which I just grabbed and will install with the JY AI Buccaneer and flightplan. Breathe some life into the base which was empty of activity.

287 OCU Buccaneers

Just opened up RAF Honington and checked ai traffic. There was a Buccaneer of the 287 OCU in the air on approach to land. Watched him descend on final and land beautifully on the runway. In the past some of the ai I watch after they land, respot at a parking spot but this Buccaneer taxied all the way to the end of the runway and then I watched him for 5 minutes taxi to his hanger at the other end and stop just outside; fold wings and set parking brake with the inlet and outlet covers show up in place. SO COOL! I wished I had video'd it.

I think you'll find it is 237 OCU.

Regards Paul Day.
    Ex RAF Honnington Rigger 1976-1980

Quote Originally Posted by paul day View Post
    Don't forget RAF Honington. It was my first posting out of training, going to 208 Squadron in 1976. There was also 12 Squadron doing the anti maritime role with sea eagle missiles and 237 OCU with Buccaneers and Hunter T7's. In Germany 15+16 Squadrons flew out of RAF Laarbruch. A great four year start to my RAF career before moving on to Jaguars and Tornado's

Regards Paul Day.
    Honington was a great posting, I lived across at Barnham camp, 1982-3 , 208 sqn/ ASF rigger likewise, ( Q-ABC-A) , I got left behind when squadron moved to Scotland due to ' horse trading'

Ttfn

Pete

I don't know why there is a Swordfish so I didn't install that at Yelvilton. If someone knows why in real life like Paul give insight please.
    Hi, good to see my scenery getting some use. The Swordfish belonged to the Royal Navy Historic flight based at Yeovilton from 1972 to 2019, along with a number of other airframe's, a bit more info and pics here---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...istoric_Flight

cheers ian

Thanks to everyone

Thank you Paul for the correction. Old eyes and small type probably LOL. Thank you Pete for your insight. Like I said before to Paul, it's always interesting and fun to hear from the "guys that were there". When we have a fellowship at Church or a Thanksgiving gathering at friends and us servicemen get talking, its always fun to share memories. I will be sure that my file says 237OCU and not 287. Thank's again to all of you and especially Ian for the Scenery. That is really interesting about the RN Historic Flight. We have the Collins Foundation over here in the USA and also the Commemorative Air Force to name two groups. I am replacing the Swordfish.

RAF Yeovelton and RNHF Update

After I saw the Wikipedia post above about the Royal Navy Historic Flight, I wanted to try and add the rest of the aircraft to the Swordfish. It took me a few hours of looking and conversions to get this, but here is a Fairey Firefly in RN textures and the Hawker Sea Fury. Both have full permission to do this in the README accompanying. Before I began this endeavor I got Ian Elliot's permission to change his airport which he was more than happy to give. When I have finished and given it to Ian for final approval I will put together an update package with everything that's needed to update it.

Definitely approve, it'll be a while before i can test it, still got to figure my way around FSX Steam, but feel free to release what you've got
    PS, Yeovilton was always Navy, never RAF, except possibly during the battle of Britian as a relief airfield

Yeovelton-Always Navy

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Definitely approve, it'll be a while before i can test it, still got to figure my way around FSX Steam, but feel free to release what you've got
    PS, Yeovilton was always Navy, never RAF, except possibly during the battle of Britian as a relief airfield
    Thank you. I will rename it RNAS as well as properly spelling the name when I release it. I was pleased to find both the Firefly and Seafury without any restrictions except commercial use which obviously we are not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thank you. I will rename it RNAS as well as properly spelling the name when I release it. I was pleased to find both the Firefly and Seafury without any restrictions except commercial use which obviously we are not.
    Cool project.

It’s spelled “Yeovilton,” btw. Probably just a typo vs intentional, but just in case.

Have always loved the Sea Fury, from the first time I saw one as a kid on display outside the naval museum down the street from our house in Calgary. Years later when I joined the army our base was was just down the road, and I’d occasionally drop in and visit the staff after hours and they’d let me sit in the cockpit of both their Sea Fury, Seafire, and Banshee. Odd that an army lad would fall in love with naval aviation in the prairies, but there you have it.

An Oops Moment

Thank you, also, Ian corrected my error above too. I have since changed the Folder to RNAS Yeovilton. That's what happens when you are working on stuff too late at night when you can't sleep. All OK now.

A New Addition To The RNHF

I found that I was missing a member of the RNHF when it was flying and that was a Hawker Seahawk. I searched and found the exact model at Steve Beeny's NACZA Studios which is a fantastic site--so comprehensive and well done. I wrote to Steve to ask his permission to include it and he generously agreed so here it is at Hanger 4 in the row.

Thank you Paul for the correction. Old eyes and small type probably LOL. Thank you Pete for your insight. Like I said before to Paul, it's always interesting and fun to hear from the "guys that were there". When we have a fellowship at Church or a Thanksgiving gathering at friends and us servicemen get talking, its always fun to share memories. I will be sure that my file says 237OCU and not 287. Thank's again to all of you and especially Ian for the Scenery. That is really interesting about the RN Historic Flight. We have the Collins Foundation over here in the USA and also the Commemorative Air Force to name two groups. I am replacing the Swordfish.
    At the time I was there; Honington was a very busy place; 12 Sqn had just moved to Scotland; 208 Sqn and 237 OCU were in residence; along with the Tornado Weapons Unit TWCU, and 9 Sqn; there wasn't enough space on camp to accommodate all the personnel so some of us lived at Barnham camp (6 miles away) and some at Watton (25 miles away)

Barnham was an interesting little place; it had been the accommodation camp for the nearby Nuclear bomb depot ( now disused) of same name in 1950's ; there were still places we weren't allowed to wander

ttfn

Pete

Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    At the time I was there; Honington was a very busy place; 12 Sqn had just moved to Scotland; 208 Sqn and 237 OCU were in residence; along with the Tornado Weapons Unit TWCU, and 9 Sqn; there wasn't enough space on camp to accommodate all the personnel so some of us lived at Barnham camp (6 miles away) and some at Watton (25 miles away)

Barnham was an interesting little place; it had been the accommodation camp for the nearby Nuclear bomb depot ( now disused) of same name in 1950's ; there were still places we weren't allowed to wander

ttfn

Pete
    Isn't it interesting (and fun) all the memories that a thread can awaken of times long past.
    Richard

Not Satisfied

I was not satisfied with the incorrect texture on the Sea Fury and after a lot of site searching I found the proper exact texture for it in an update on flightim-dot-com. Now it looks good! They are all in the correct paint schemes.

Crazy-this has become an RNAS Yeovelton thread

I didn't mean to hijack this and change it into a RNAS thread and not just about Buccaneers, it just happened. I have just received permission to convert the Westland Wessex FAA helicopters and add them into a couple of Helicopter Parking Spots. I may also use with them as AI with the technique I used at Denton, TX airport which I think would be cool too. I am going to truncate the ai traffic file to a few of the FG1 Phantoms and the Sea Vixens so as not to kill the frame rates which extensive traffic does in FSX. Watch for the updates. Its just about dinner time and time to take a break.

I didn't mean to hijack this and change it into a RNAS thread and not just about Buccaneers, it just happened. I have just received permission to convert the Westland Wessex FAA helicopters and add them into a couple of Helicopter Parking Spots. I may also use with them as AI with the technique I used at Denton, TX airport which I think would be cool too. I am going to truncate the ai traffic file to a few of the FG1 Phantoms and the Sea Vixens so as not to kill the frame rates which extensive traffic does in FSX. Watch for the updates. Its just about dinner time and time to take a break.

IIRC,RN Buccaneers were shore based at Lossiemouth ( from reading Winkle Brown's book); Phantoms at Yeovilton

Skippy Bing would know

Ttfn

Pete

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    IIRC,RN Buccaneers were shore based at Lossiemouth ( from reading Winkle Brown's book); Phantoms at Yeovilton

Skippy Bing would know

Ttfn

Pete
    I saw that online and just downloaded the FG1 and Sea Vixen for ai traffic.

Rescue Helicopters

Here are two Westland Wessex Royal Navy static helicopters converted with permission by Brian Franklin who designed the models when he was SIMSHED but is no longer designing for flight simulation. I am also going to see if I can make an ai Wessex helicopter in a different scheme using the method I used before which was quite successful. MAIW designs their helicopters from scratch with the ai capability built in I was informed that is why they can take off vertical and hover which mine won't/can't but they will take off and return. BTW they do not have a Wessex only a Seaking. Note that one model is ready to take off and the other has the tail and main rotor blades folded.

Blog Entries
    Here are two Westland Wessex Royal Navy static helicopters converted with permission by Brian Franklin who designed the models when he was SIMSHED but is no longer designing for flight simulation. I am also going to see if I can make an ai Wessex helicopter in a different scheme using the method I used before which was quite successful. MAIW designs their helicopters from scratch with the ai capability built in I was informed that is why they can take off vertical and hover which mine won't/can't but they will take off and return. BTW they do not have a Wessex only a Seaking. Note that one model is ready to take off and the other has the tail and main rotor blades folded.

I recall an AI Wessex being available as part of the 64-66 refit of the Flying Stations HMS Victorious.

EDIT - yes - that's the case. This might help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxl72642go...us_66.exe?dl=0

from here:

https://bravozulu.blog/2019/12/18/fl...ions-freeware/

dl

2nd EDIT - that was technically a "ship" for AI Carriers, so maybe not helpful ....

Thank you

Thanks for the link. Flying Stations is gone though so I don't think I have someone to ask for permission to use it. If it was just for me that wouldn't be the point, but... I will make my own from Brian's since I have his permission. In the beginning I was a novice and naive about that but as I became a designer I became more aware and am sure I get it and save the emails with the aircrafts/scenery etc. I appreciate you looking and taking the time to write.

Members who have read this thread: 4