Native S2F3AT (S2T) Tracker Work in Progress
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Native S2F3AT (S2T) Tracker Work in Progress

Native S2F3AT (S2T) Tracker Work in Progress

Just making an early announcement on the my project for MSFS. I had started this build for P3D but have moved over to MSFS which is much more visually stunning. The Grumman S2T Turbo Tracker is used by Cal Fire as its quick initial attack aircraft on wildland fires. It carries a load of up to 1200 gallons of fire retardant and 23 of them are strategically based throughout the state of California to provide a quick response time on fire dispatches.

This model is well along and I aiming for a pretty detailed product in terms of modelling and systems. Right now I am projecting a 1st quarter 2022 release. Ill be updating this thread as I move forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice! Dont forget about the pilot ! It looks very promising!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Beautiful Tracker! New to MSFS and found the importer program, started getting all excited about using my FSX models again...then reading up on SU6 with a frown.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

WOW this is very beautiful
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

WOW, Super nice! I can't wait to fly it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello tankerguy72,
    What a great news that is!!!
    Looking forward to this beautiful Tracker...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Looks great. It will be nice to have this in MSFS. Someday, you'll have to remake the Privateer for MSFS.

That really does look like a great model already, will be looking forward to seeing it come together!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

WOW, the looks magnificent already!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Hi Tankerguy,imma start by saying i cant do a paint to save my life.that said,any chance that as you go setting this up for release,could you do a tribute to Joe "Hoser" Satrapa? T89 out of Grass Valley.the last time i saw it before his retirement and his passing,it had "Hoser" under the window where you have Hemet Ryan on T72.i had a personal connection to Joe,he dropped on me several times,before the days of not dropping near crews i guess.never heard radio traffic between the air attack/tankers and the ground in those days,to busy eatin smoke.but the one time..sent me head over teakettle on one drop,which actually stopped a wall of fire that could have eaten us up...he went direct ,sent me flying,and my crew partner,we were mobiling with both lines out,one in front ,one to the rear..when i gathered myself up,i looked at Kurt and he also had gone flying,and a boot came off.though we were both injured..we couldnt help but laugh.

we were released from the fire and went back to Auburn,a few days later we were asked to go to the ECC at the Grass valley airport,Nevada County airport.anyway,we were asked to come up by Joe and he apologized to us. and took us to dinner.he was a great guy.gruff but very nice and funny.i miss him alot.

i wish someone who builds scenery for MSFS would do a nevada county airport and add the base and ECC to it.oh well just dreaming in both cases.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CalFirePlanes-GVU-052114.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	85097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AirTankers-GVU-060619-1-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	85098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6428933895_b820f543cb_b.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	85099
    Thanks dave

Dave, I really think a tribute with both livery and airfield would be amazing to package with this when you're nearing release (er, when tankerguy is, I'm getting folks mixed up!). I'm sure in the community there are folks who could make this a reality

Wow! Stunning model and freeware to boot? I'd contribute/donate for something so niche and nicely done. I've followed these through the years in FSX, P3D and now MSFS. It's simply stunning what you've assembled.

On a side note, I see no sort of sight in the cockpit, so is it literally dropped based on the pilots gut instinct of where it should be dropped?
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    On a side note, I see no sort of sight in the cockpit, so is it literally dropped based on the pilots gut instinct of where it should be dropped?
    In this day and age, I would think (and hope) that it would be coordinates and GPS! And I've never seen shots of the cockpits of these things that have sights.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

its visual,you listen to radio traffic,you hear "pick up the end of that last drop and carry it down into ",there are some in cockpit views on youtube,they litterally look out the window,the airattack will even have them do practice runs,and then advise them things like..move to the starboard one wing span..even hear left/right since most airattack officers are Cal Fire captains.the VLATs and mediums (S2Ts) will follow a lead plane into the drop,use the leads line,to the point the lead will call out individual trees to line up on at times,then they "fire smoke" ,which leaves a ball of smoke with a short tail,sort of like a comet,and when the pilot gets to the puff,well he lines up on it and makes a note of where it is incase it drifts or dissipates ,or on it itself,he hits the drop button..even the airtractors with the GPS dont use it as theres nothing to base it on.i can get Norm Cook ,an airtanker pilot with aerounion and then airstrike firefifghters to write it out for me..im sure he would.he flew P3s in the military and then has flown P3 airtankers for years.

edit..a part of the stack is to watch the other aircraft and the drops.and they all talk to eachother about it..say two S2Ts and an air attck ,of course the air attack tells them what to do..though they know they start one flank or the other and at the heel in most cases,then work to the head,only time you hear or see them go right to the head is if its (the fire) making strong runs on structures.youll hear them talk to each other about start points "89,ill start at that rocky outcropping and work it uphill towards that tallest (or fattest) tree up there" 89 will then say something like "88,ill watch where it ends and start there and work back to" or "88 ill start there and hook it to the right towards that snag".....or if i was hoser..hed just reply..."89" with a humph...he was very encouraging to most of the other pilots though with things like...."you scared 88?" or "88 ? have you ever side slipped and airplane before?" heard that one day and the other pilot replied with....."hoser? ya gonna make me cry"...with a ton of mic clicks after that...lol

but most drops are done at 250' agl or250' above tree top,helos are at 500' maximum,tanker maneuvering maximum is 1000',tanker orbit is 1500' minimum ,2500' minimum for air attack.

Wow! That's coming along beautifully!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

go to this site,scroll to page 54 and it shows how the stack works.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/logistics...Guide_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Looks great. It will be nice to have this in MSFS. Someday, you'll have to remake the Privateer for MSFS.
    I all ready have a new updated external model built for the Privateer. That may be next up on the list after the tracker, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave43H View Post
    Hi Tankerguy,imma start by saying i cant do a paint to save my life.that said,any chance that as you go setting this up for release,could you do a tribute to Joe "Hoser" Satrapa? T89 out of Grass Valley.the last time i saw it before his retirement and his passing,it had "Hoser" under the window where you have Hemet Ryan on T72.i had a personal connection to Joe,he dropped on me several times,before the days of not dropping near crews i guess.never heard radio traffic between the air attack/tankers and the ground in those days,to busy eatin smoke.but the one time..sent me head over teakettle on one drop,which actually stopped a wall of fire that could have eaten us up...he went direct ,sent me flying,and my crew partner,we were mobiling with both lines out,one in front ,one to the rear..when i gathered myself up,i looked at Kurt and he also had gone flying,and a boot came off.though we were both injured..we couldnt help but laugh.

we were released from the fire and went back to Auburn,a few days later we were asked to go to the ECC at the Grass valley airport,Nevada County airport.anyway,we were asked to come up by Joe and he apologized to us. and took us to dinner.he was a great guy.gruff but very nice and funny.i miss him alot.

i wish someone who builds scenery for MSFS would do a nevada county airport and add the base and ECC to it.oh well just dreaming in both cases.
    Thanks dave
    Dave 89 will be on the list. I will release a texture pack with all of the 23 tanker numbers or whichever are not released in the initial package.

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Wow! Stunning model and freeware to boot? I'd contribute/donate for something so niche and nicely done. I've followed these through the years in FSX, P3D and now MSFS. It's simply stunning what you've assembled.

As others have mentioned it is all on the pilot visually where to drop. Air Attack will call out visual signals like anchor off that road or drop to protect a structure. On Fed fires lead planes are used to look for hazards on the drop run area and mark the spot of the drop with a puff of smoke.

Looks spectacular...gotta love a turbo stoof!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Tankerguy,,
    "Dave 89 will be on the list. I will release a texture pack with all of the 23 tanker numbers or whichever are not released in the initial package."

thanks great news,thank you sir! does MSFS have the working animation for drops?..i hope so..but since i fly inside,doesnt mater..lol..

It's looking great man! When I finally jump in this sim this will be a definite go-to for me.

Just as a quick additional shout out for tankerguy72 and myself, but he also allowed me to give his other Privateers the once over he released for FS9/FSX. I've been updating them for P3Dv4, PBR and a handful of other stuff. They'll be coming out for that platform likely before the end of this month. The pack got a significant overhaul. Including more tanker variations.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    It's looking great man! When I finally jump in this sim this will be a definite go-to for me.

Just as a quick additional shout out for tankerguy72 and myself, but he also allowed me to give his other Privateers the once over he released for FS9/FSX. I've been updating them for P3Dv4, PBR and a handful of other stuff. They'll be coming out for that platform likely before the end of this month. The pack got a significant overhaul. Including more tanker variations.
    Yep you have brought the 4Y back to life again. Appreciate all your work. You should post a thread about it on it here.

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Yep you have brought the 4Y back to life again. Appreciate all your work. You should post a thread about it on it here.
    Thanks man. I do, it's over on the P3D section on here. It's in a bigger thread I made for the conversion projects I've been working on. Since there's a few being worked on now. Figured it was easier that way.

Back to the S-2T...Do you know if you're going the payware route with it? Or freeware? I know the last time we talked about it you weren't quite sure yet. There's so many hours of work here on it.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    Do you know if you're going the payware route with it? Or freeware? I know the last time we talked about it you weren't quite sure yet. There's so many hours of work here on it.
    Probably leaning towards the payware route but at a very affordable price. Lots of work has gone into it and still alot Id like to implement and also a nice drop effect.

i know most of you will think this is more of a kids thing,could some thing like having an alert system,you lil pilot sitting in the ready room,,or war room as ive heard a time or two in stories.ya in the ready room,a horn goes off,prolly just the alert tone from the ECC now,but back when the USFS was incharge of the base,the F7F pilots would heard a horn,which you could hear clear down at the main offices at the nevada county airport lol.so yoou hear the horn,or the dispatch,get the info,then walk to the plane,get in and do the full start up while animated ground crew do the load.then taxiout etc..fight the fire,load return ..make it a ....well i dont know what it would be called.

Members who have read this thread: 149