So, now that we have a native Connie...
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So, now that we have a native Connie...

So, now that we have a native Connie...

what's your verdict, gentlemen ?

Can it stand in the PMDG DC-6 shadow ?....

I seem to understand it's still kind of a WIP ( pretty steap price for a WIP too..) Still very exiting to see the most beautiful propliner ever build finding her way into the most beautiful flight simulator ever build !

Any captains got their license already ?

https://secure.simmarket.com/redwing...aft-msfs.phtml

Already released !? Oooo nice!
    Thx for the info!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I am not against it. It does have some niggles and is really steep price for a WIP. That said, I don't feel it is terrible and hope to get feedback from the dev. Time will tell though. Initially, she won't stand against the DC-6 very well but she is a beautiful airframe so there is hope for improvement.

I decided to be a lab rat (so to speak) and buy it. As already noted, it is a very nice model but at current, it is a handful to fly. The AI is not the level of the PMDG DC-6 and to manage the Super Connie model in the Normal settings, it's probably going to be too much for most. You can select the Easy settings and do just fine. I tried the Normal settings and ended up with dual engine failures and fell short of the airport trying to get back. So yeah, for now try the Easy settings and enjoy it. It is a good flying model and the flight dynamics feel like what I can imagine a heavy piston engine aircraft feeling like, not too far off from the way the DC-6 feels. The sounds BTW need work, the DC-6 is perfect to me, this bird needs a bit more work with the sound. It is a beautiful work in progress!
    Last edited by StormILM; November 9th, 2021 at 15:55.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    $A66.59 for something this is only in Stage II of development seems a bit rich to me. It appears that with MSFS some developers are using the FS community as beta testers. OK with freeware but don't agree with payware.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

€52.09? no way, well over my limit...

tempting .. but i,ll ride this one out. Not willing to pay that amount for a not finished product. I,ll stick to my beloved 6 for now.

Hi,

Could be me, yet to screenshots do not convince me. The 3D modelling seems very rough also the cockpit windows are (way)off.

Marcel

For me the video spends a lot of time on the cold start procedure and not much on actually flying it. Since I am not really interested in the cold start (yes I am a barbarian) it does not sell me.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Yes, some things to check and maybe try again:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rwconnie.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	85018

Ya know for $60, you can get the entire Reno Air Race kit. A much more attractive offer and probably more fun too!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Waiting for reviews on this one. In principle I really like what they offer and if it is in range if the PMDG DC-6 the price is also ok for me. I'd rather have one deeply modeled plan than a hundred superficial ones.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Waiting for reviews on this one.
    Wait no more, captain. Check this out: https://youtu.be/u69Ne1k1kbs

If you ask me THE best reviewer of MSFS aircraft : "Into the Blue Simulations" . I believe there's no payware MSFS aircraft that he didn't review, freeware too. Always very professional, always very thorough. Mind you, because of that he talks pretty quickly so as a non English mother tongue listener you'll have to be strictly on the qui-vive. ;-)

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen !

I was actually waiting for the above review as well to finally decide what to do. As the reviewer says so himself to have: "slightly mixed feelings on the product" i think i'll deffinately 'look but don't touch' (like you'd normally do in the presence of an exceptional distinghuised Lady). Already when i saw the first preview screenies quite some time ago i couldn't help having reservations about the graphics, particularly about VC. During the 1 hour review from the link above i also couldn't help thinking i was looking at an FSX aircraft review ( not to say FS9... ) sometimes. Particularly from the VC during cruise.

I LOVE the Connie so it's a hard decision to let this one pass but now that it has become more than clear that the Redwing Connie cannot even stand 'In The Shadow of the PMDG DC-6' it is the obvious choice for me. I'm afraid that with the forthcoming 'Steps' the basic model graphicswise will not come anything closer to that of the PMDG DC-6. Like Manfred says they'd better start over...

( Ok, the're the first to add Engine Startup Smoke to a native MSFS model, that certainly is worth some Kudos ! But why on Virtual Earth release that effect when the smoke actually keeps hanging around behind the engine instead of being blasted away by the propeller wake ?! How unrealistic looking can something be ??!! Finish up an effect first before releasing it ! ( Ok, apparently it's an effect you'll have to download and install so that's good thinking in this case.. ;-)

A native MSFS Constellation......Not being able to enjoy it..... That's an unfortunate raw deal if you ask me.

(btw, my fav Connie version is the L-749, certainly not the L-1049 Super G, so, in the end, it's not THAT much of a raw deal for me anyway.. ;-)

[QUOTE=Javis;1276193]Wait no more, captain. Check this out: https://youtu.be/u69Ne1k1kbs

Great review. Plane well over my price budget limit and well under my quality standards...
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    (btw, my fav Connie version is the L-749, certainly not the L-1049 Super G, so, in the end, it's not THAT much of a raw deal for me anyway.. ;-)
    Me too...nothing better than a -749 with a speedpak below it. A high quality -749 with speedpak option would be a no-brainer buy for me!

Kent

Thanks for the link. A lot of work currently but I managed to zap through it a bit during lunch break.

After that I still got mixed feelings. The main things that hold me off is the starting behavior (sounds and procedure) and the way to obvious plaques / stickers all over the cockpit. All of them have a weird font and a lot of them seem stretched making the font look even more weird.
    The DC-6 also has some, but they look like coming straight out of a labelmaker and don't stand out at all.
    Very much nitpicking obviously but in that price range I think that should be ok.

Anyway I would like to support a new developer in the propliner area who goes through the trouble of simulating systems, etc. One can hardly have too many of those!

Maybe I'll have a look at their discord about how things are going forward.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    Maybe I'll have a look at their discord about how things are going forward.
    I used to frequent Discord but can't get in anymore since i have a new rig. Got the phone code number, then they want to send an email, everything comes to a hold when i try to enter my email address. No way to change password neither. I gave up..

If you find anything really interesting overthere about the Redwing Connie, could you let me/us know, please ?

Thanks!

Edit : Disregard please, MM. Thought i'd give it another go and now could change my password. I'm in finally. ;-)

Feel sorry for the Redwing guy trying to deal with all the reported problems. You wonder why they would release such a bug ridden product and for that kind of money as well. And, on top of that, a Connie no less....

In any case, good to see Redwing atleast responding. There's some good tips too to deal with some of the most common problems, like leave the superchargers alone, don't use them. I will certainly keep track of what's going on there at Redwing Discord although i have no intention of buying their Connie atm.
    Last edited by Javis; November 11th, 2021 at 10:29.

I'm happy with the Connie but I'm not going to pretend it isn't full of issues and room for major improvement. I'm glad I'm supporting RedWing and I wish them the best. I'll keep flying her and looking for updates but being very honest it's nowhere near the DC-6 (I wasn't expecting as much, PMDG has so much more experience in this arena.) If you buy early as I did, look for the positives because they are there. Nudge RedWing on the negatives via their Discord. They are so far very transparent and responsive.
    Last edited by LostPilot; November 13th, 2021 at 09:08. Reason: typo

Actually, it's a total pity. The Connie actually has potential. But the many flaws of exterior models and especially the sounds do not justify the high price. And the size! One repaint has 2.4 GB with over 400 textures - totally unreasonable. Hard disk takes 11 GB, for 4 different models and 4 repaints. What were Redwing thinking? 8K textures for what actually. Less is usually more. This could be much better.

Breitling by TiArl, auf Flickr

Breitling1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Swiss2 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Swiss by TiArl, auf Flickr

Swiss1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Swissair never used a L-1049. Anyway.

But the Connie flies IMHO well. System depth as described. I had no problems during my first flights. Normal performance without any fps impact.

Thomas

Thomas-

I have intentionally refrained from commentary, as everyone knows my ardor for the Six. Your verbiage does however, strike a chord. Hopefully things will move in the right direction.

C

I so want to support these guys. I love the Connie and I want to encourage historical planes. And I'm not so particular that stuff like an angle being off on a rudder ruins as plane for me.

But I'm gonna wait till they get the AI crewmembers going. I know there's a breed of sim fans who think that having the planes harder to fly and manage than the real thing is cool and the way it should be, and that's their right, but that's not me. Having to be pilot, copilot, and FE just isn't for me.

It'd be great if MS eventually gets multiplayer cockpits in the sim. Then you could fly with a friend or two and it'd be awesome. But until then, please let me let the sim manage the prop pitch, mixture, superchargers, and all that other stuff the FE is supposed to do and just let me fly the plane.

Once the AI's added, I'm so buying this.

Painters must be having trouble with the long fuse textures, lines are uneven and some not matching. Look at that meandering red side stripe on the Swissair paint (above) and also how it does not match near the rear door.

Really wish I could get my head around this new PBR painting and fix this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Then again.... what are the chances that we'll be able to welcome an all singing and dancing, full blown native L-749 eventually ? Not that much really, don't you think ?.....So maybe we ( proplovers that is ) should be extremely happy about Redwing taking the plunge and support them.Let's see what the first patch will deliver.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    I have intentionally refrained from commentary, as everyone knows my ardor for the Six. Your verbiage does however, strike a chord. Hopefully things will move in the right direction.
    She DOES look good in the above screenies, don't you think, Carl ?...

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Really wish I could get my head around this new PBR painting and fix this thing.
    Would that work ?... Isn't it like PBR texturing has to be setup in the model ?... I don't have the Connie (yet... ;-) but from the screenies i figure there's no PBR texturing at hand with the Redwing Connie, is there ?..

Members who have read this thread: 153