So, now that we have a native Connie... - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So, now that we have a native Connie...

PBR is there. And quite well. Repaints are fully workable, if you understand the file structure. You also can paint "normal" stripes on fuselage etc. The Redwing fuselage textures are not the best. My start is HARS CONNIE VH-EAG. First steps are done, but a lot to do.

VHEAG by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Would that work ?... Isn't it like PBR texturing has to be setup in the model ?... I don't have the Connie (yet... ;-) but from the screenies i figure there's no PBR texturing at hand with the Redwing Connie, is there ?..
    Yes it does look like no PBR was used in the cockpit of this Connie but it still has to be done with the new painting process MSFS requires.

The new way of painting aircraft in MSFS is very complex and not at all like P3D or FSX. It involves several programs and the paint scheme is comprised of several layers that have a million different adjustments. At 77 I am not into learning a new, very complex, process - but on the other hand I miss painting these classics.

Someone, somewhere, at sometime will come out with some software to combine all these complex processes and make it easier for the painters, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by TiAr View Post
    PBR is there. And quite well. Repaints are fully workable, if you understand the file structure. You also can paint "normal" stripes on fuselage etc. The Redwing fuselage textures are not the best. My start is HARS CONNIE VH-EAG. First steps are done, but a lot to do.

VHEAG by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas
    Thanks, Thomas, great to know the Redwing Connie *does* make use of PBR. Well done with your Connie repaints ! ( might there be a KLM livery in pipeline ??... ;-)

It's just that so far i don't see much of the typical PBR texture goodies in the Redwing Connie screenshots, like f.i. as seen in the truckload of PMDG DC-6 screenies. Shine, sunglints, reflections of the wings and the earth below in the fuselage, etc. , you know. But that could be like the real SuperG didn't wear her birthday suit (bare aluminium that is ;-) that much
    anymore like her older sisters did, right ? I do see some reflection of the runway in the aft fuselage of your VH-EAG and of the fuselage in the port wing as well.

Used to LOVE repainting, did many,many, many,many moons ago but that's all water under the bridge. I don't even have the courage yet to look into what it's all about regarding MSFS.

Although i don't have the Redwing Connie (i do sit on the fence and watch..) thanks for your work !

Btw, may i suggest something ?... : would you mind giving the black weather radar nose just a tiny bit of reflection/shine/glint ? :

If left completely matt it is an uninteresting, dull looking blob. With a bit of shine/ glint/reflection it will lively up the model to great extend. It then functions as the sophisticated hat Queens always wear. And Connie IS a Queen, isn't she.
    Last edited by Javis; November 15th, 2021 at 11:01.

I do hope some painter adds more gloss and reflection to the metal fuse. Looking at pics of the real thing show that many were polished and almost chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    At 77 I am not into learning a new, very complex, process - but on the other hand I miss painting these classics.
    Totally with you there, T. Repainting was my hobbyhorse too, right from when it became possible ( FS5 ?..) up until FSX. Got myself hooked up at FS aircraft modeldesign as well so repainting became more and more situated at the backburner. Digital aircraft modelmaking and repainting is just fantastic to have next to flying a flight simulator but with MSFS i believe it will be one or the other, not both..... Atm i'm keeping myself with just the one, the flying one that is.. ;-)

Someone, somewhere, at sometime will come out with some software to combine all these complex processes and make it easier for the painters, I hope.
    Well, that might just be the case, sooner or later. You wouldn't want to know what we had to deal with once FS aircraft design became possible. "Aircraft Factory and Scenery Designer" it was called. Initally, for aircraft models, a 500 poly limit...

That soon changed however. ;-)

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    "Aircraft Factory and Scenery Designer"
    I remember that program. I used it to make some simple block towers for the Hi rise buildings in my fair little country mouse town (KBHM). No textures were applied to them. I just splashed some "close enough color" on them and got the dimensions about right.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    I remember that program. I used it to make some simple block towers for the Hi rise buildings in my fair little country mouse town (KBHM). No textures were applied to them. I just splashed some "close enough color" on them and got the dimensions about right.
    Great fun, right !?

Started with the scenery designer too. Boston and Martha's Vineyard, i don't know why.... (maybe because "You're so vain" by Carly Simon was a hit then... ;-) and then EHAM Schiphol of course. Great fun indeed but then Aircraft Designer was blinking at me and i never went back to scenery design. Those were the days, éh !?

Just out of curiosity, does it have the nosewheel airbrake function?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does it have the nosewheel airbrake function?
    Should it? AFAIK the real thing used the main gear only as an airbrake. At least that's how we had it in FS9, and Volker knew a lot about this kind of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Should it? AFAIK the real thing used the main gear only as an airbrake. At least that's how we had it in FS9, and Volker knew a lot about this kind of stuff...
    You're right! I got it backward. It was the gear lever that would extend just the nose after using the mains for braking. And as I remember it, you could also retract the mains by cycling the gear lever, but I'm not sure if that was accurate either.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Has this been updated yet for the new msfs patch ?

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Has this been updated yet for the new msfs patch ?
    The Redwing will udapte the Throttlebug today or tomorrow! "FIX013 correcting ASOBO SU7 throttlebug is the SimMarket pipeline" I hope the rest is also fixed . Here is the link to the discord https://discord.com/channels/7985323...45631444381717

Habve nice Day!

Christian (Pirosch)

Good news, the throttle-fix V0.1.3 is available - 1,6 GB full setup.

Thomas

Hi Thomas

Good news, the throttle-fix V0.1.3 is available - 1,6 GB full setup.

Thomas
    Yes that's good news I just installed it. Because it's time to fly it over to Connie and enjoy it. Thank you for your advice. Now I hope some good paints come out for Connie.

Greetings Chris (Pirosch)
    Last edited by pirosch; November 24th, 2021 at 06:50.

One last bump as the glue falls off...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Working on Columbine III.

Columbine by TiAr, auf Flickr

Columbine2 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Columbine3 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Columbine4 by TiAr, auf Flickr

I am aware about wrong wingtips and bad front Columbine logo settings. But Redwing current models have limitations.

Thomas

Unless the sun is shining directly on the front of the props, may I suggest a little bit more transparency? Other than that, she looks nice!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Working on Columbine III.

I am aware about wrong wingtips and bad front Columbine logo settings. But Redwing current models have limitations.

Thomas
    Hey Thomas! Are the bump maps something that are editable? I'm not sure if its in the Albedo, metal, or bump maps, but the plane looks like they let 100 five-year-olds loose on her with ball-peen hammers!
    I'd like to eventually paint this one, but besides being too busy with other paint projects at the moment, I can't buy into a WIP project at that price and the fact there is a good chance the texture mapping will change as they progress in the dev cycle.

Your paint is looking pretty good so far though!
    Regards, Steve Dra
    Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here
    Get my DC-6 paints at flightsim.to here

Tom, the whole aircraft needs a lot of more work. Propellerdisks are on the list.

Steve, you can edit bump/normal textures - but they are 87 mb huge. 8K. I only tried to reduce the size with no success.

Now I am painting some lines on fuselage on albedo and comp next to the rivets on bump/normal. The lines are missing in all repaints. This is a big work without repaintkit. First result: on front textures, lines are completely missing. There you only see millions of revets, if you are nearly there. Afterwards fuselage textures (albedo and comp) with my painted lines. They are really close to the rivets.

Columbine8 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Thomas

Columine III is published. It seems, it is the very first repaint available. It uses the TWA model.

Columbine by TiAr, auf Flickr

Columbine1 by TiAr, auf Flickr

Columbine5 by TiAr, auf Flickr

https://flightsim.to/file/24407/vc-1...mbine-iii-1961

Hope you like it.

Thomas

I am Connie fan

I was in many development teams for Connies FS9 till now
    And I guess I know a Connie well

Sorry thats poor
    ( but of course I know not that easy to get today in a real Connie and do it right- we even had real pilots support )

Anyway an expensive better then nothing

Roland

Roland,

only to say "thats poor" didn´t hit the nail. What is poor?

The Breitling panel is a very specific one. For me, the Red Wing team made a good job on specific systems. Limitations of MSFS are around.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Manfred is right...it was the mains only that were used as airbrake but that again was not on the L-1049
    That feature appeared in the L-1649A and so it is not modeled in the L-1049G.

I do agree with almost all the points made about the "early release" ....especially visually there is still much to do to make it come close to where it should be.
    But the developer is definitely listening and is working hard on getting it straightened out. I am certainly no 3D model artis, I am glad Manfred and Volker took care of that in the team I was a part of for the FS9/FSX series

FDE also still is not quite there yet. She is actually a bit too slick and too hard to slow down if flown by the numbers. But again that is being looked at and I think it will get there if the poor guy(s) doesn't burn out before it is "finished".

Some of the shortcomings on the technical side are likely still caused by the irregular way MSFS sometimes behaves due to service updates by ASOBO. And that can be a real pain in the a## for any developer I believe.

In short...I did buy the Connie and I am happy I did. So far I think the FS9/FSX Freeware was better but that did take some time as well and input from quite a few people in the end.
    The only real "gripe" I have is that I have not yet figured out how to use the old R3350 sounds we had used

Cheers
    Stefan

Members who have read this thread: 153