There are some real screenshot "Artists" here! (Tips!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There are some real screenshot "Artists" here! (Tips!)

There are some real screenshot "Artists" here! (Tips!)

Hey Guys,
    Some of you know me as a "painter" who's been in the the 'biz for a while. While it's a talent I share with many great painters we all know and love, I am literally awestruck by the screenshot artistry that I consistently see in the Screenshot thread here.
    Let's be clear....I visit many flightsim sites, each with their own screenshot boards, but they absolutely pale in comparison to what I've witnessed here.

I considered myself a screenshot artist before I ventured into actually painting them for the community nearly 2 decades ago (where does the time go?). I rationalized that every painter needs to be a proficient screenshot taker to properly showcase their work, so the two talents go hand in hand, but for the non-painters here who display their "Art", I give sincere credit to your talents and thoroughly enjoy your work! Trust me...I see in EVERY finely framed screenshot...the effort you put into getting it just right, and some leave me gob-smacked! I see the angle of the shot, the position of the camera, the time of day, the weather, and the impact each individually have on the outcome of the shot...it wonderful to see the effort.
    I KNOW that you just don't hit the external view key, whip the camera to a spot, hit "screenshot" and post here. I see all the careful planning you do (either consciously or unconsciously at this point), to get everything "just right" before clicking that shutter button.

Post-processing or not? To me, this can be a contentious topic to "Artists"...but I view it this way: Every screen is going to see your work differently because every simmer will have different shader/monitor/GPU settings than you, so all you can do is process the screenshot to take out all the known artifacts and try to make it look as natural as possible. That's my view and I'm stickin' to it, hehe. It's really hard to deal with as a painter...because some colors just don't render well in the sim, and each sim does it a bit differently. Then there's PBR, non-PBR, etc. A classic example is KLM and the new Southwest blues. I'm currently painting both for P3d V5. I've tried the official RGB color tiles of each in the sim...and they render waaaaay too light in the sim. So its a lot of trial and error to get the color looking just right....in the sim. Probably the hardest thing to do as a painter (and the most frustrating as you'd love to just pop the real color on the plane and be done with it, LOL)

To those who don't post-process (effects anyway....jpeg compression to tame the size of our creations...its a must or we'd bring this server to its knees, LOL)...and I'm seeing a totally unretouched "photo" that is on your screen....I tip my hat to you and your completely dialed-in settings.

I recently had cataract removal surgery for both eyes, and have been painting (and seeing the world) through an increasingly yellow tint over the years...so after the procedure on my left eye 1st, when I covered each eye to see the difference...this is what I saw:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3jCml1.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	84942

Hard to describe the feeling...but it was life-changing to say the least.
    Anyway, it is an absolute joy to now see the world how it really is, and the screenshot thread here is an experience to visit and see folks as crazy as me when it comes to aviation, flightsim and screenshot artistry.

Should you all want to add to this discussion about the tools and tricks you use to achieve such artistry, please feel free to indulge your secrets here. I'll add my tricks and stuff later if I see you guys wanting to continue this discussion.
    Please only include actual screenshots as examples if you're demonstrating your tips as to not turn this into a separate "screenshot" thread from the official one. Shots of the tools and how you use them would be appropriate though.
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; November 14th, 2021 at 12:53.
    Regards, Steve Dra
    Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here
    Get my DC-6 paints at flightsim.to here

Hey Steve, did we work together on something years ago? My memory is going, lol. Were you part of ScreenshotArt back in the day, started by Neil "Something", can't recall his last name? He worked at a flight museum, I believe. Anyway, I agree with you on this screenshot thread. When I start a flight, I start with the intention to take off fly around and land but every time I end up pausing and trying to find good photo opportunities, it's become a sickness, I tell ya, LOL.

I've noticed a lot of screenshots here are for new liveries so I am not sure if this forum is for that category, or is any aircraft scenario acceptable?
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    I've noticed a lot of screenshots here are for new liveries so I am not sure if this forum is for that category, or is any aircraft scenario acceptable?
    T43
    each flight sim forum has its own screenshot section.but these arent meant to only be new liveries/paintjobs or what ever ya wanna call em..you do a flight,take a cool screenshot,modify it or whatever,you happy with it? wanna share it?..then jest do it!...right y'all?
    from a fellow 43.......btw,i ran the number 43 on my race cars in the 80s and a few times in the early 90s...

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    T43
    What Dave said! As long as it comes from MSFS/FS2020, it's welcome. I mostly fly/post stock aircraft like the DA62, but others are big fans of the historic birds. There are one or two that like the hair dryers, so you'll see a pic or two from them every once in a while.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    I agree with the OP. As a serious landscaape photographer, I spend a lot of time trying to create art from my images. Many of the images I have seen in the Screenshot forums are, in my opinion, art.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 8700 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Steve, your post is a pleasure to read. I agree with your observation and I find myself in what you write.
    I will add to your post that in my opinion the screenshot is similar to photography and uses the same rules.
    I will gladly contribute to your post because it is a subject that is greatly lacking on the forums.
    I would be happy to share my experience and help some of us.
    Richard

How to promote our screenshots ?

Ok, so let's start this discussion about screenshots.
    For my part, I consider this to be a full-fledged hobby that stands out from the simulator itself.
    I can have fun for an hour with the simulator starting from point A to point B, following ATC indications. But I can also have fun for an hour by placing my plane at an airport and moving it from parking lot or gate to gate taking hundreds of screenshots. I see that as a photography hobby. The plane becomes my model that I try to highlight by photographing it from all angles.

I give you here my way of approaching this hobby.
    There is a lot of feeling in my way of proceeding, but there is also a lot of experience gained by browsing the "Screenshots" sections of the simulation forums. I owe a lot to the community of simmers. So I do not pretend to have the knowledge and the "Truth". All your remarks and comments are welcome.
    (English is not my native language, please feel free to correct me if necessary. Thank you.)

Here are some ideas to enhance our shots. Many of them appeal to the rules of photography.
    Some are all simple and easy to apply, others require more time and attention with sometimes the need for post-editing work.

DECENTER YOUR SUBJECT
    By default, in most simulators, the screenshot places the subject in the center of the screen.
    When editing your image, consider cropping it.
    Today, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 includes a drone camera that allows you to move the point of view wherever you want. It is a great tool which nevertheless requires a little adaptation time to master it.

PLACE A FOREGROUND
    The foreground structures your image and creates depth.

"OPEN" THE IMAGE
    Leave space IN FRONT of your subject.

Avoid sticking the nose of the plane to the edge of the image.

CHANGE THE POINT OF VIEW
    Our eyes get used to see things always from the same height.
    Consider changing this height, place the lens at ground level or above the subject

FIND UNUSUAL POINTS OF VIEW
    Consider surprising your audience with unusual views.

CLOSE-UPS
    Close-up views help to draw attention to some details and add aesthetic appeal to the images.

WEATHER, TIME AND LIGHT
    These are all elements that make it possible to highlight a subject.

To be continued.
    In the following post I will give you a tutorial on post-editing work.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLouis View Post
    If this is NOT a real world photo i'll eat my captain's hat. ( https://youtu.be/7ScpcVjICDc )

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    If this is NOT a real world photo i'll eat my captain's hat. ( https://youtu.be/7ScpcVjICDc )

Thank you for the reminder of this excellent humor scene.

After these few simple basics, let's move on to post-editing work.

As Steve mentioned at the start of this post, the settings on our PCs and the settings on our monitors are all different. So we all have a different vision on the screenshots that are posted.
    It may therefore be interesting to edit our captures.

For the following examples, I am working with PhotoShop CS6.

BRIGHTNESS / CONTRAST AND EXPOSURE
    Here's a quick and easy way to improve a screenshot.
    (This retouching work can be compared to the modification of the shaders that we did in the previous simulators).

Open your image.
    Crop it if necessary with the cropping tool.

Change the brightness and / or contrast to your preference.
    ("Layer" / "New adjustment layer" / "Brightness / Contrast" tab).

It is sometimes interesting to correct the exposure as well.
    It's up to you to test if it's worth it.
    ("Layer" / "New adjustment layer" / "Exposure" tab).

If you are happy with the result, save your image.

TO BE CONTINUED

LEVELS

("Layer" / "New adjustment layer" / "Levels" tab).

This setting allows you to play with the dominant colors of Red, Green and Blue.

It is interesting if you want to give a "warm" or "cold" atmosphere to your image

Work on the blue level.

Work on the green level.

Work on the red level.

HUE / SATURATION
    ("Layer" / "New adjustment layer" / "Hue/Saturation" tab).

This setting allows you to change the "Red", "Yellow", "Green", "Cyans", "Blue" and "Magentas" colors.

VIBRANCE
    ("Layer" / "New adjustment layer" / "Vibrance" tab).

This setting allows you to increase or decrease the intensity of all colors in your image.

TO BE CONTINUED

LET'S BE CREATIVE
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 provides us some innovations that we did not have in our previous simulators.
    Among these is the "Depth of field" in "Drone" mode (available via "Camera" > "Showcase" tab).
    This option blurs the background and is activated with the F1 key.
    We increase or decrease the blur level with the F2 or F3 keys.
    For our screenshots, this helps to highlight our subject (usually the airplane).

Can we apply this process in all situations?
    If it is suitable for photographing an airplane stationary on the ground or for an airplane moving away or coming towards us, can it be used for a airplane which moves or which flies from one side of the screen to the other?
    The use of depth of field blur does not seem suitable to this situation.
    A "Directional blur" seems more appropriate in this case.

I am offering you a tutorial for this which will allow you at the start of a "normal" screenshot to create two "Directional blur" effects.
    Let's start with something relatively easy: the plane is on a solid color background.

FIRST EFFECT : BLURRED AIRPLANE - NET BACKGROUND
    Open your image in PhotoShop and name it "Sharp background".

Duplicate the layer.

Rename the copy "Blurred background".

We will apply a blur effect to this layer (Make sure it is selected).
    Via the "Filter" tab select "Attenuation" > "Directional blur".

A small window appears.
    In the "Angle" field, enter an angle that corresponds +/- to that made by the airplane in relation to the ground.
    In the "Distance" field, enter a value that suits you for the blur effect. (Use the mini preview window).
    Validate your choices > click OK.

The next step is not mandatory. It consists in making a backup copy of the two layers that you have just created ... just in case !

Select the "Blurred Background" layer at the top of the stack.
    Turn off the layers below.
    Select the "Eraser" tool

Select a "Blur rounding" eraser shape and enter a thickness that will allow you to go around the airplane.

When your subject is clear enough, change the thickness of your tool to erase the rest of the image.

Reactivate the "Sharp background" layer.

That's it, save your work.
    Here is the result.

SECOND EFFECT : NET AIRPLANE - BLURRED BACKGROUND
    Open your image in PhotoShop and name it "Sharp background".

Duplicate the layer.

Rename the copy "Blurred background".

We will apply a blur effect to this layer (Make sure it is selected).
    Via the "Filter" tab select "Attenuation" > "Directional blur".

A small window appears.
    In the "Angle" field, enter an angle that corresponds +/- to that made by the airplane in relation to the ground.
    In the "Distance" field, enter a value that suits you for the blur effect. (Use the mini preview window).
    Validate your choices > click OK.

The next step is not mandatory. It consists in making a backup copy of the two layers that you have just created ... just in case !

Select the "Blurred background" layer and place it under the "Sharp background" layer.

Deactivate the "Blurred background" layer and select the "Sharp background" layer.
    Select the "Eraser" tool.

Select a "Blur rounding" eraser shape and enter a thickness that will allow you to go around the airplane.

When your subject is clear enough, change the thickness of your tool to erase the rest of the image.

Reactivate the "Blurred background" layer

That's it, save your work.
    Here is the result.

Some more examples:

TO BE CONTINUED

Agree with John-- screenshots can indeed be art...provided each poster posts their best shots judiciously...i.e. "Less is more".

Kent

Members who have read this thread: 16