WWise Sound??

Thread: WWise Sound??

WWise Sound??

Anyone know anything about WWise Sound?
    I was reading a post on the AH Facebook page & in relation to a query re DC-3 progress, the AH poster said, in effect, 'we are waiting for the WWise chap, he is pretty busy at the moment'.
    Which I took to mean AH is in the queue.
    Is WWise a '1 man band'?
    T43

Wwise is sound editing software made by Audiokinetic. It's been the gaming industry standard for years and microsoft flight simulator has only just caught up, that's why hardly anyone knows what they're doing with it yet: https://www.audiokinetic.com/products/wwise/

Are there any live sound engineers among us? I'm a live music sound engineer interested in figuring it out. I've operated digital consoles before, and to be honest, I don't understand the layout of Wwise. It's going to take time to figure out how the program immerses you in a 360 degree audio environment. It just occurred to me, I have access to warbirds and recording equipment... I feel a winter project coming on..

I'm a professional sound / acoustics engineer, and I even use Wwise at work though not quite like how it's used in games. (I use it with embedded systems.) The Wwise authoring tool is quite powerful,and not too hard to learn but, just like past FS, the main issue with sound design is asset quality, particularly when dealing with composite soundscapes. Wwise has great signal processing, blending, morphing, triggering, 3D localization, etc but without high quality audio recordings and some preprocessing tools, issues still occur when blending recordings made with different equipment, in different acoustic environments, etc.

- dcc
    - -

We would be interested in hearing from anybody who has experience working with WWise. There are very few professionals working with it in flightsim. Which is why there is such a long waiting list for developments. The guys we use is the same guys used by quite a few well-known development houses so I guess it is just a case of getting into the queue where you can. The main issue is that in order to do this stuff, the complete, coded and flyable model, inside and out has to be locked down before they can begin to sample sound and apply to all the various components. So essentially, the development is finished before sound production can begin.
    If a development is going to be delayed it is usually the sound production that will be the reason.
    If Asobo would simply adjust their position re Legacy sound, things would be much better and faster for all of us.

Members who have read this thread: 0