So I've decided to do this Q6600 overclock - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I've decided to do this Q6600 overclock

harleyman
    At first I would leave your ram set at default...Those settings are usually on a sticker on the side of the ram...

Like 5-5-518 Like that..

Then do your OC...There is a good chance your ram at stock speeds will be fine as they are...

datter
    Mine ought to be 5-5-5-18, as per this. Maybe I'll stick to that to start.

harleyman
    YEs Stay at default speeds always to start.....

datter
    So Txnetcop says 1.45v... well, starting with 1.4v is a good place for the v to be. Is this a level that can be run on a daily use computer that's on pretty much 24/7, though idle for maybe 80% of that time aside from file transfers and whatnot? I guess the main thing would be the temps huh? Is it right that as long as my temps are reasonable, I could run this sort of thing daily use wise?

harleyman
    Once you do the OC, and have it stable(by getting voltages correct) then you check the temps...As long as the temps hold good and the rig does not CTD, it will run like that wide open 24/7 if you are willing to quit sleeping....

datter
    This isn't going so well. I oc'd to a meager 2.7, but on reboot it failed the post. Second reboot started ok, and temps were of course fine. I can't get it to pass the POST on anything higher and ended up chickening out and resetting factory defaults. Still looking into it.

harleyman
    Not bad for a first attempt...

go post on the forums of the link I dent you in the intel area...tell them what settings you have and ask for advice,, They will help you...

datter
    HAH, got 3ghz.

Just booted in so things may still crap out on me, but idle temps on the four cores are between 36 and 43.

I changed my FSB to 333 (well, the number entered is x4 on my bios) and left voltages to auto. No boot. So I went back and changed vcore to 1.4 and got partial boot... as in it passed the POST, but froze on loading windows. I then went in and set my memory voltage to 2.1, which is what my mem needs apparently.... and here I am. I left the memroy timings to auto this time. The first time I tried this I set them to 5-5-5-18, but got nowhere.

EDIT: and yeah, going to go post there now and see what they say

Blog Entries
    Datter I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff right now, but if you can hold on I will get with ya on this by mid week. You can easily OC to 3.6 and FSX runs just great there.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Get Down Datter....I knew you could do it.........:woot::woot:

Next you will be like most OCers and continue to push for more...

You will see a noticible improvement in FSX from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure....

BTW Great temps...Just remember they need checked undel load too later....

datter
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Datter I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff right now, but if you can hold on I will get with ya on this by mid week. You can easily OC to 3.6 and FSX runs just great there.
    Ted
    Hey, I'd appreciate any help at all but trust me when I say I know how life can be. I can't even find my eyeballs at some points, so no worries. I'd love to pick your brain about this stuff, but only as your schedule allows and I'm always around here so, just as you can find the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyman
    et Down Datter....I knew you could do it.........:woot::woot:

Next you will be like most OCers and continue to push for more...

You will see a noticible improvement in FSX from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure....

BTW Great temps...Just remember they need checked undel load too later....
    Yes, I'm impressed and I must admit thought I'd do some "load testing" by flying for awhile. Noticeable difference from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure, smoother... absolutely no blurries, higher FPS. Just "better". That said, you're right I want MORE!! lol

If I can hit 3.4 even I'll be thrilled. That said, it seems I need 1.45v on the vcore to get to 3.0ghz so and after flying around awhile I find my temps at max are hitting maybe 64deg or so, which is fine though I told myself in advance I'd not let 'em get any higher than 65deg.

Not sure how to go about pushing past this 3.0ghz level. I thought I might be able to clock the FSB to get me to 3.4 without changing the vcore volts so I tried that and was horrified to find that although the system got past the POST, it just sat at the BIOS logo screen. I could see the words "press delete to enter BIOS" but it was hung there. I must have restarted the system a dozen times just hoping it would sort itself out somehow, but it always hung there and wouldn't let me into the BIOS. Now I know a simple clearing of the CMOS would reset it and get me back in, but I was horrified because on looking at my mobo I find the jumper I need to switch to clear the CMOS is hidden behind one of my two video cards. In order to clear it I was looking at moving some wiring that was in front of the card, then pulling the card... swapping the jumper... replacing the card... starting up and resetting the BIOS... then pulling the card... swapping the jumper etc etc. Holy I was not happy about that.

I resigned myself to it though, and started pulling the box out from it's hiding spot by my desk and thought on a whim, let's hit the on/off ONE more time and if Jesus Christ himself had walked in and offered me a ham sandwich I wouldn't have been any more surprised. The damn thing booted and I got into my BIOS without having to do all that CMOS pain. WOO. HOO.

That did however scare me a bit about pushing farther as I really don't want to have to go through all that jumper crap. So, until I find some decent advice to get a noob overclocker up to speed I think I'll sit at 3.0ghz provided it comes off as stable (which I think it will).

Thanks for the encouragement and help thus far, hopefully I can take this a bit farther with some guidance down the road.

Quick tip: to clear the CMOS after a failed boot you should just need to press and keep the "Insert" key held down defore pressing the power button.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Your Deluxe bios should be laid out the same as my Plus bios, there may be small differences but probaly not many.
    Dont forget I'm running an E8400 not a Q6600

Datter,s bios refers to the FSB as 400 but the true FSB is 400x4 so its really 1600. The Asus FSB just refers to the true FSB.
    I prefer the way Asus dous it as you can tune it more finely, with the x4 method if you increse the FSB by 1 your actually incresing it by 4.

Anyway back to your bios.
    First go to "Extreme Tweaking" and set "AI Tuning" to "[Manual]".

Then go to "FSB & Memory Config"
    Set "FSB - Memory Clock Mode" to " [Unlinked]" if you dont do this any increase of the FSB will also overclock the memory.
    leave "FSB - Memory Ratio" set to "[Auto]"
    "FSB - (QDR), MHz" is where you set your desiered FSB, [1600] should give you 3.6GB but its better to work your way up in steps testing for stability and heat as you go.
    Leave "MEM (DDR), MHz" set to "[800] if you have 800 MHz memory.

For the voltage the one your looking for is in "Over Voltage"
    "VCore Voltage", I leave mine set to "[Auto]"
    In fact the only one I set manualy in mine is "Memory Voltage" which for my memory is "[2.100v]", set yours to whatever your memory manufacturer recomends.

If you go to "Power", "Hardware Monitor", Voltage Monitor" you will be able to see what the auto setting for your VCore is doing, mine sits at 1.44v and has been fine like that for the last year.
    Thanks a lot for those recommendations Dangerous_Beans.
    I think I have exactely the same motherboard as you have, a P5N32 E SLI Plus. The true FSB was the problem, mine was at 1066 by default, tried pushing it at 1400 for a test but the computer would not start anymore. I guess it was due to the other settings, like the "linked" memory. I'll have another try tonight ! :ernae:

datter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Quick tip: to clear the CMOS after a failed boot you should just need to press and keep the "Insert" key held down defore pressing the power button.
    That is the sort of info I really wanted to hear. Thanks VERY much, though hopefully it won't be needed.

I'd absorbed so much info on this it never occurred to me to try leaving the vcore at auto. Maybe I'll give that a shot tonight and see what happens. With less fear of having to pull the system apart to reset the bios I am a bit more brave. I assume it might require a non-USB keyboard if I have to clear it this way though, but I have one of those kicking around so I ought to be good.

Still not sure why it's taking me 1.45v manually set to get to 3.0ghz, maybe auto will work some magic.

Blog Entries
    Hey Datter, Dangerous Beans just gave you the keys to the kingdom that I was gonna give. That will get you where you want to be. You can overclock the Q6600 all the way up to 1.7 which I have done but you have to make sure it is in a very cool environment. 1.45 should get you to 3.5 or 3.6 following Dangerous Beans advice. That seems to be where FSX likes to run. Just check your temps regularly for a while.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

datter
    As it happens, I'm not back to 2.7.

I had 1.45v in there and got to 3.0ghz last night, but this morning when I booted I couldn't get past post. I got into the BIOS and tried setting the vcore to auto, same result. I finally lowered my FSB to give me 2.7ghz, and set the vcore to 1.45v again... and I'm in. Not as happy as I was last night now, I think I must be missing something.

EDIT: Hmm, I did just noticed the following from Dangerous Beans post:

Set "FSB - Memory Clock Mode" to " [Unlinked]" if you dont do this any increase of the FSB will also overclock the memory.
    Mine has been set to linked. Maybe I can try auto and see if that's where the magic is. Should I set the memory timings (to 5-5-5-18 for me) or leave those to auto as well?

datter
    argh, so much for that. Back down to stock now as that's all I can do and get a regular boot sequence with any regularity. Tried Dangerous Beans comments above about unlinked/auto and it gets me to the BIOS logo screen where it says "hit delete to enter setup etc" and just hangs there.

I was doing 3.0 last night and it seemed ok and 2.7 before that, I just can't seem to get it to boot past that set up screen with any reliability about stock. More reading I guess.

harleyman
    Hmmmmmmmm

Datter I wish i was more help...I myself am just learning and I dare not give you any advice that might have not so good results...

I can't even get my ram timings to change yet...Or I would be OCing mine now too....LOL

datter
    I'm still posting on that other forum, advice is drying up a bit but I'm still poking around too. I'm sure I can get a 2.7ghz oc out of it, but I'd really really like 3.4

harleyman
    If its a GO version Q6600 it should go 3.4 and be very stable.....
    :wave:

datter
    It's a G0, so I agree with that. I may be on to something. I've been leaving my NorthBridge volts to auto, which can apparently cause my sort of issues. Someone elsewhere has been recommending I set it to 1.4v or so. If that solves it, heat may be an issue (with the NB anyway) but I have another 120mm fan I can install pulling air in from the front but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. No.... when I come to it.

I've also found a huge thread about overclocking my chip, on my mobo so I'm hoping to pull some good info out of that if this NorthBridge business doesn't sort me out.

More news as events warrant.

datter
    ok folks, after following along through a great thread concerning my specific mobo I *think* I'm good at 3.0ghz though testing is ongoing. Here's what I did, if anyone can tell me if they see anything scary please let me know... or any tips on how I can get a little farther, that would be great too. I'd love to make 3.4ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by My specs
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 8MB
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe LGA775 Motherboard (BIOS 1205)
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 (1150MHz DDR2) Reaper HPC Edition (2x 1gb)
    OCZ GameXstream 850W SLI PSU
    OCZ Vendetta 2 cpu cooler
    BFG 8800GT OC 512MB PCIe Video Cards (x2 SLI)
    Western Digital Raptor 150Gb 10000Rpm WD1500ADFD (x2)
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3
    To get to 3.0ghz I did the following:

Extreme Tweaker screen:

Disabled the following...
    • Nvidia GPU Ex
      Spread Spectrum Control (all of them)
      Execute Disable Bit
      Virtualization Technology (Vanderpool stuff)
      Enhanced Intel Speedstep
      Enhanced C1 (C1E)
    Settings change
    • Multiplier left at 9x
    • FSB Set to 1333 (that's quadpumped... so the same as 333x9) to get 3.0ghz
    • Mem setting is "unLinked" and my otherwise speedy ram is at 667mhz
    • Mem timings were initially set to 5-5-5-18 as per my ram, but XP didn't boot so I switched these to auto
    Voltages are as follows:
    • vcore : 1.45
      Memory : 2.1
      1.2v HT : 1.3
      NB Core : 1.45
      SB Core : 1.5
      CPU VTT : 1.55
      all other volts auto
    Here are my idle temps/info after first boot:

So far after 15min of Prime95 testing my CPU temps are all 59 or below with no errors.

Does anything up there look wrong somehow? Any ideas how I can push this to 3.4ghz?

harleyman

I think your key was setting the ram unlinked....

Looks good to me...But I know nothing....

I can't get past the 2,8 GHz :help:
    I've set the Memory clock to Unlinked, set the VCore voltage to 1,45, and the FSB to 1300 for a try.
    The BIOS boots but XP would not.
    So far I have let my memory timings to 5-5-5-18 and 800 MHz. Maybe I should switch them to auto ?

datter
    In my experience I'd leave them to auto, though when I do that my 1150mhz ram is only run at 667mhz. Since I can't get much past 3.0ghz also I'm thinking I might have to flash my BIOS and have some questions about that out there now on the related forums.

One thing I did notice is that even at 3.0ghz my northbridge and southbridge temperatures were really, really high so I reverted to stock for now and am planning on doing a little more cooling mods to get some airflow over these. Once I do that I should be ok at 3.0ghz and my memory at auto/667mhz though I have built up a suspicion that updating the BIOS will allow my ram to run properly and possibly provide me a better OC.

More news after I get my cooling sorted out. The problem with northbridge/southbridge is that the temps aren't often displayed in any software, and from what I've read they are a key source of concern regarding heat buildup and eventual system failure. My stock CPU cooler would blow down onto the CPU and as such provide at least minimal cooling to the nearby northbridge (though not the south), but now that I've moved to my Vendetta2 tower CPU cooler all that cooling is blowing horizontally out the back meaning there is NO airflow over the northbridge at all. I'm going to attach a small 40mm fan to it sometime soon, and rig up some special cooling for my southbridge as well just to be safe as a big concern of mine regarding overclocking is overheating something that's not well monitored like this and frying the system down the road.

As it stands my northbridge (at idle) is just warm to the touch, and my southbridge is hot enough I can only touch it for maybe 10sec before I find it's too hot. Not scientific, but interesting. Everest Ultimate Edition reports my northbridge temp at 90c and my southbridge at 58c which is the opposite of what I experience with the ol' finger test but I'm definitely adding some cooling before leaving stock.

I might suggest others check into this as well, in case your temps other than CPU are hotter than you realize. On my board (ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA775) the nb/sb temps are well known for running hot.