Important SU6 pre-update info! Avoid 100GB re-download
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important SU6 pre-update info! Avoid 100GB re-download

Important SU6 pre-update info! Avoid 100GB re-download

Microsoft noted today that SU6 is going to wipe out your 100GB-ish OneStore folder if you have MSFS installed in the default folder. However, I’m pretty sure you can avoid this if you chose that install path initially and you have room to temporarily have a second copy of the files until the update is finished.

I’d suggest that anyone who has their MSFS in the default directory make a new folder like D:\FlightSim, copy the OneStore and Community folders into it, and then point the SU6 update to that folder, to ensure that MSFS doesn’t have to redownload 100GB of files.

Steps:
    1) Make a folder somewhere in the root of your drive to be the new folder for your OneStore and Community folders. Mine is F:\FlightSim
    2) Copy (don’t Move, or you may end up redownloading if you launch the sim before the update hits) the OneStore and Community folders to the new folder you created
    3) When you get the SU6 update and it asks you where to install its files, choose your new F:\FlightSim (or whatever) folder. Now it will only download the updated files instead of all 100GB
    4) Once the install is complete and the sim starts up, you should be able to exit and delete the original OneStore/Community folders in the default location, to free up the space.

I haven’t tested this — don’t have the update, and won’t have time to get it until Wednesday — but given what MS said it should work:

PC users: You will have to re-update. If your content is in the default location, expect it to be wiped out and re-installed. If it is on a custom path, you will be able to point your update towards those files.

Even if it turns out not to affect non-beta users, it’s a chance to move MSFS data to an easier-to-find folder and shorten the path to avoid long filename errors. Why not avoid the risk of 100GB+ re-downloads if they’re not necessary?

This is only for Beta participants, if you are not in the Beta the update should work as usual.

Well, I’ve seen people have to do the entire download again with an update with prior SUs, so why not take the safe route? Apologies if I’m wrong here, but better safe than spending hours redownloading.

Blog Entries
    Does this appluy ONLY to users who insall to the defult C drive locations? I have MSFS mounted on a seperate "D" drive which I use for only for flight sims.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

9GiB download for me, but I have the Steam version, so I wasn´t bound to the default folder anyway.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Does this appluy ONLY to users who insall to the defult C drive locations? I have MSFS mounted on a seperate "D" drive which I use for only for flight sims.
    You're good to go John!

Priller

PS: as the warning was originally for beta users, I think we have a bit of scare mongering going on.
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    You're good to go John!

Priller

PS: as the warning was originally for beta users, I think we have a bit of scare mongering going on.
    Wasn’t “scaremongering.” I’ve seen people have to do the full download before and figured it was worth flagging in case it was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    You're good to go John!

Priller

That attitude isnt helping. The OP was just trying to save people time and headaches. MSFS2020 is far from user friendly with their install and updating. Its causing troubles for many people. So any helpful bit of info is good. Just because you dont need it.
    I pass gas!

People,

Please take a look at post #2 in this thread, and then read the different forums that will tell you the same.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Well, I'm about to find out for myself. I wasn't in the beta and I have a default-location Store install. About to kick it off now.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

8.94gb here, downloading now. So far no issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3.25/5.87 and running. I have the mid-grade "Deluxe" package.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Caught it looping on the TBM d/l. Restarted and it says another 1.9 GB to go.

Edit...
    Aaaand another loop - this time on the big files. Dropped from 94% all the way back to 34%. Now I have to d/l almost 17 GB!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Caught it looping on the TBM d/l. Restarted and it says another 1.9 GB to go.

Edit...
    Aaaand another loop - this time on the big files. Dropped from 94% all the way back to 34%. Now I have to d/l almost 17 GB!
    I had something the same. Finally after 2-3h of .... looping I closed MSFS, opened again and now its ok (downloaded without loops), I have 1.20.6.0 and can test it.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Mine went without a hitch, no performance issues post update, seems very stable. I just need to review the list of what all they did this time around.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is the first update that I've had any problems with. It started looping so I cancelled, restarted, and tried again. After a couple of CTDs, it now says I have 16 GB to download, then complained that the connection was lost. Paused, resumed, and it's just sitting there at 1% and not downloading.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I just started trying to update this evening, and I keep getting "connection is lost", which many others are reporting as well, so there is certainly a server-related issue at this time. I've decided to pack it in and will wait till tomorrow evening to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I just started trying to update this evening, and I keep getting "connection is lost", which many others are reporting as well, so there is certainly a server-related issue at this time. I've decided to pack it in and will wait till tomorrow evening to try again.
    Good call. That's what I'm doing too!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

My download went without a hitch. First time in ages that I didn't get any looping.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Moderators, feel free to delete this thread — my intention was to help as I know some people have data caps, but it sounds like the issue did indeed only affect beta participants. Which is great! Can’t wait to check out SU6 tomorrow.

No need to delete... It's still related to the update. If anyone hasn't started the update yet, don't forget to move the Community folder somewhere else before starting. I'm not sure it really helps, but it can't hurt.

Recommended fix for looping is to shut down the sim, open the Official\OneStore (or Steam) folder, find and delete anything that's not a folder.* After that, restart the sim and let it start the d/l process again - repeat as needed.

*The easiest way to get all of the compressed files is to switch to Detailed view and sort by Date Modified. This will put everything you need at the top of the pile.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Good call. That's what I'm doing too!
    ditto, I must have started right at the beginning of the server crash because I got a little bit downloaded and then nothing

doing some other things tonight since it's unlikely to resolve any time soon and, when it does, it'll probably go down again once everyone starts d/l-ing again.

- dcc
    - -

DennyA, for the record, I am glad you did make this post, especially considering the varying levels of angst many of us have been through this this sim's updates. Good call!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mine too, keeps saying it's losing connection with server at around 80mb of download size.

Members who have read this thread: 0