Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision UT

Thread: Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision UT

Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - Other

Description: Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision by UncleTgt

This is a collection of modifications to turn Shessi's Catalina mkI into a Catalina as used by the Dutch MLD in the East Indies during the first few month's of the Pacific War. It uses the Catalina_mkI model file, all I've done is to rename this file to avoid problems in the sim should both aircraft be present at the same time. I've decided to upload as a complete aircraft to simplify the installation into the sim.

I've reduced the model shine for camoflage paints.

I've made the 2D panel bitmap WIN 7+ safe. The MLD Cats used metric instruments, so I've adapted the gauges to suit. I developed more appropriate payload options in the DP file, see the ordnance notes for which weapon packs were used.

A new airfile was developed, & optimised for AI & combat performance. The static CG was raised to ensure reliable on water starts.

The textures supplied are:

Y-70 In the delivery scheme, circa late NOV '41. Y-70 was on it's delivery flight, mid-way between Honolulu & Wake when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. It spent most of it's life ferrying VIPs across the Pacific, & was destroyed in the IJNAF attack on Broome Lake, 3rd March 1942.

Y-58 As war operations started, the crews quickly painted over the rudder & upper wing triangles. I've depicted Y-58 in such a scheme, typical of DEC '41. Y-58 was lost 11-JAN-42 whilst attacking a Japanese invasion fleet in transit to Kema, Celebes/Sulawesei.

Y-63 As the war progressed, most surviving aircraft further reduced the size of the fuselage triangles in an effort to further reduce their visibility. I've depicted Y-63 as such, typical of FEB '42. Y-63 was lost 27-FEB-42 whilst on patrol.

Y-67 The markings changed in late FEB '42, replacing the orange triangles with rectangular dutch flags. Y-67 is depicted in this scheme, how she would have looked when destroyed during the IJNAF attack on Broome Lake, 3rd March 1942.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Shessi for his undoubted skill in bringing us a wide variety of aircraft for use in this old sim.
    Alphasim for the original aircraft, developed originally for FS2004.
    Allen for his DOSmdlc_2, making shine & mdl size changes possible in WIN7+
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX, such a clever & versatile tool
    Kelticheart for his prop bitmaps & exhaust effects.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Shessi Catalina mkI MLD revision UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Thanks very much John for these beautiful additions to our Catalina fleet.

The wrecks of Y-67 and Y-70, along with a number of other PBY and Dornier flying boats, still lie on the bottom of Roebuck Bay, Broome. You can see a few of the wrecks at low tide.

Thanks also for all the new bombs, mines and depth charges - well done!

Kevin

Hi UncleTgt
    Thanks for the good job on the PBY's.
    You can walk out to the flying boat wrecks at Broome, but you need to walk back quickly!!!
    Cheers
    Stuart

Thanks John. Looking forward to opening this box of goodies. Your workshop is very busy and the products are always first class!

Thanks guys, for bringing this rather unknown part of Dutch history alive again. As you can see the textures work perfect in FS9 as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Library Staff
    The air raid on Broome on the 3rd of March 1942 was particularly tragic as the flying boats were filled with evacuees from the Dutch East Indies. Due to the lack of accommodation in Broome, the aircraft were being used as dormitories.

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

Many thanks to you and Shessi for bringing the Catalina to life!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0