NAAS Corry Field 1950s - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NAAS Corry Field 1950s

Interesting - I thought that by the time the T-34B was in use the SNJs had all been replaced by the T-28, but who knows. I am sure the transition to a smaller, more integrated and common training command was full of weird situations. Keep up the great work!

So Many Times Before

Since this information came straight from an article in 1956 and a quote from the actual pilot, I would say that this was a fact. I had more trouble trying to figure out and finally consulted my library which references the directives to CNATRA about the colors and marking of the SNJ's T34's and T28s which are as follows:

MIL-C-18263A(Aer), dated July 16, 1956, specified that primary
    jets, primary single reciprocating engine aircraft, primary
    seaplanes, and helicopters used in training were directed
    to be painted overall glossy Orange Yellow, except antiglare
    areas which were to be nonspecular Black. Multi-engine
    reciprocating aircraft used in training and all other jet aircraft
    models assigned exclusively to training were to be painted in
    the International Orange and White "split": scheme. All SNJ,
    T-28, T-34, and HTL were to remain painted glossy Orange
    Yellow, while all of the following were to be painted in the
    "split" scheme; AF-2W, AF-3, AD-3, AD-4, F2H-2, FJ-2,
    F9F-2, F9F-5, F9F-6, F9F-8T, JRB, SNB, S2F-1, TV, T2J-1,
    MdTIV '

In the National Museum Of Aviation, there is an SNJ-5 that has an olive green anti-glare panel which I can't find where that was specified though I have seen it on P51-D Mustangs in WWII 8th AF photos. An interesting note in my references after the directives give Commanding Officers some discretion for economy and material availability as seems to be the case.

Since I am primarily working in this period with NAAS Corry as an active training facility along with the OLF's and other NAAS in the area, I am using the above information and whatever I can find at the Abandoned Airfield websites. The Freeman's have done a bang-up job.

Good info rundown for the period.

Sometimes you see a rather poor paint job on what was apparently a fleet aircraft hastily relegated to the training command (especially the AD series and some other). I believe these were repainted by the training squadron airframes shop rather than a NARF overhaul facility. This likely had some influence from the fact that there were a lot of accidents in those days -not necessarily fatal - and replacement planes certainly were not all coming off the production line.

Another example is the F9F-8 / AF-9J - you see many in overall grey/orange rather than white / orange. They had come out of the Reserves and straight to a training squadron, who put the orange paint and markings on them. Same with a few F11Fs

Fine Tooth Comb

I discovered that I have to read every word of the directives and study photos together to figure out what and how for repainting. Check out the new thread I just started with a really cool repaint.

Thank you

Thank you to all the veterans on here from one of you on Veterans Day! May God bless you and your families and keep you in His tender care!

Richard

Update To Runways

When researching additional fields I came across two things: one is an article all about NAVCAD training during and just after WWII and then this aerial photo of Holley NOLF which shows the FCLP diagrams on the runways which I believe are on Corry Field and which I am going to apply before I release its final version here. The runways had rectangular markings (about 100 ft long) representing the landing area on the ramp of an aircraft carrier where the arresting wires were positioned to trap the plane.

Another Field

Here is a photo of NAAS Fleming Island's FCLP showing it was not identical at every NOLF. This was used for touch and go's only I am guessing because there are no cross lines (wires) like above.

I would say you are correct for the period. The fact is, they are probably more for LSO use in grading rather than for the pilot "spotting the deck".

In my day using the old mirror and later FLOLS system, you flew the ball all the way to touchdown, never looked at the landing spot - the LSO knew if you landed long or short. I don't recall any special touchdown markings

vLSO and FCLPs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I would say you are correct for the period. The fact is, they are probably more for LSO use in grading rather than for the pilot "spotting the deck".

In my day using the old mirror and later FLOLS system, you flew the ball all the way to touchdown, never looked at the landing spot - the LSO knew if you landed long or short. I don't recall any special touchdown markings
    I never did CARQUALS except in FSX with VLSO who shows 7 fields that I guess are current day that have addons for FCLP and FLOLS and Goshawk45 had me do one for NAS Chase Field for him which I did in Sketchup you can see on his Chase Field download here but that field closed in 1993.

And I Found This

Here is my re-creation of the taxi trainer that was used at NAAS Corry Field in the 1950's made from an SNJ. The special nose gear was created in Sketchup; the model created and then joined to the Texan in Model Converter X. I thought that it was really interesting and had never seen one before.

The Final Release Version

"Drum Roll, please"...here is a download link to the complete package. It should work in every sim except DCS or X-plane. If any P3D folks have a problem let me know. All the AI SNJ textures (24) are included as well as SODE and Sound Effects. I was never able to create a carrier for the ai to fly to so they fly tng's to/from outlying airfields. You can find download of all four NAAS/OLF being used at the NOLF thread here on SOH. Enjoy.

Richard

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h1my7...plete.zip/file

I forgot to include the Flight Plans for the AI Aircraft to use. There are two flight plans so that if you don't want ALL AI or if they are a problem with the FPSs on your system you can use one or the other. I am using both which uses Modex's 110-125. If you want to add 126-134 you can do this in AIFP3. by opening up a third flightplan using one of these to start.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/j09we...CR+AI.zip/file

Many thanks to you to share such hard work!

Members who have read this thread: 2