Cody Coyote or Anyone

Thread: Cody Coyote or Anyone

Cody Coyote or Anyone

Hi:

I am building several missions both with moving road convoys and trains. I set both up as "convoys." My question is, whether that is good enough to have them follow along the road or track? Or must I plot each vehicle's or rail car's waypoints to keep them in column?

Hmmm...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I think for the truck convoy you would need to plot the course to follow the road.for the railroad plot the course for the loco and then put the cars behind the loco and set it up like you would a task group of ships to follow the loco as the lead ship.You could probably do the same with the trucks.

Either way you need to plot a course to follow.

Not sure it will work,but it might so worth a try.

TheBookie

Ooops!

I should have checked before posting, but I found the answer in CC's Mission Builder Handbook at the very end of the chapter on Convoys and Formations. One of the frustrations of too many years, I guess. Anyway, if you want them to follow a winding course, like a road, in column then the road convoy must have each vehicle's waypoints laid out separately along that course. I would assume the same applies for train cars as well.

Cody also notes that like ships in this sim, if two or more vehicles occupy the same space, they will pass through each other harmlessly. I still have much to learn from the Handbook.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I took a guess,lol.

I only deal with ship and planes.Ships I use the copy so all ships have their own way points.

TheBookie

Obviously I came late to the party. Glad you found the answer in the Handbook. And yes, it is a frustrating situation.

Thanks Cody. It's good to hear from you. Obviously, the rest of the train won't stop if the locomotive gets taken out unless I pull some trick like having all the cars go to alternate waypoints with a speed of zero. Whew!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

A curious outcome:

I am currently working on a campaign, wherein the player is flying an F6F-5 or an Avenger off a CVE with max speed of 20 kts. I had to add a headwind of 10+ knots to make it work. For those who don't know and those who do, the standard method for setting up wind in missions, the method is simple. Or is it?

The standard method is to go to Free Flight/time and weather/advanced weather and the wind tab. There you can set th wind speed and direction as well as gusts. as shown in the illustration. Then start FF session to lock it in. Next go to the CFS2.cfg file to the [Free Flight] section and you should see something like this:

wind_surface=3048.00,12.00,15.00,43.00,0.00,0,1 where 12.00 = wind speed and 15.00 - speed with gusts, 43.00 = the compass direction from which the wind is coming.

You then paste this line of data into the weather settings on tour mission;s .mis file.

I have found that if you leave it like that, the "gust !to" speed is added to the wind speed, so you get a total wind speed of up to 27 knots! No, you have to put the actual gust difference into that location so it reads:

wind_surface=3048.00,12.00,3.00,43.00,0.00,0,1 That will give you the extra 3 knot gusts. I noticed this while sitting on the flight deck and my airspeed was 20+12+15=47 kts! I made the necessary corrections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OpDr015.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

That's a good catch SW, I'd never noticed this difference before.

CFS 2 seems full of these little quirks (DPs using metric units, airfile entries using imperial units, etc. )

Okay, here's one for the campaign builders:

I am working on the .cmg for my soon to be released work. I included a .mg video at the start IAW CC's Handbook instructions. The first few lines of the .cmg look like:

[Campaign Global Info]
    version=2.0
    campaign_name=%campaign_name_string%
    overview=%campaign_overview%
    allegiance=3

[failure]
    moviefile=
    soundfile=

[success]
    moviefile=OpDragoon-2.mpg

[node.0]
    true_branch=1
    false=2
    percent_true=67
    filler=0

[node.1]
    mission_name=OD-01_operation_dragoon_OA_F6FH
    true_branch=3
    percent_true=100
    filler=0

[node.2]
    mission_name=OD-01A_operation_dragoon_OA_TBFB
    true_branch=3
    percent_true=100
    filler=1

I highlighted the video additions in red. The video does not play when I start the campaign. What am I omitting or doing wrong?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

I think the moviefile entry needs to be repeated under node.1 for it to work.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Greg,

I think the moviefile entry needs to be repeated under node.1 for it to work.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Thank you, Kevin. I will give it a try...

PS: I edited the movie file into node = 0; no joy. I then put it into nodes 1 and 2 and now it plays.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

SW, if you put the movie file name under the first node , it will play when you click "Next" on the Squadron page before the first mission.

Entry should look like this:

[Campaign Global Info]
    version=2.0
    campaign_name=%campaign_name_string%
    overview=%campaign_overview%
    allegiance=2

[failure]
    moviefile=
    soundfile=

[success]
    soundfile=
    moviefile=

[node.0]
    true_branch=1
    percent_true=100
    filler=1

[node.1]
    mission_name=BoBluft1
    true_branch=2
    percent_true=100
    soundfile=
    moviefile=LuftBoB.wmv
    filler=1

Thank you too 486_Col_Wolf! I got it now. but shouldn't I put the entry under Node 2 as well since Node 2 is a random choice with Node 1? It works, though.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Yes, if nodes 1 and 2 will be randomly selected as your first mission then it needs to be under both.

Members who have read this thread: 60