Martin XB-48 for FS9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin XB-48 for FS9

Martin XB-48 for FS9

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military - Jets

Description: The B-48 was Martin's entry into the U.S. Army Air Force's 1944 jet bomber development competition, which was ultimately won by Boeing's B-47 Stratojet. This package includes models of the two slightly different XB-48 prototypes in authentic liveries, plus several fictional skins depicting the type as if it entered U.S. Air Force service. Models, panel, sounds and flight model by David Wooster. Skins by Mick

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Martin XB-48 for FS9
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Really enjoying my Martin guys , finding it easy to fly than the B47, i can actually land it , needs a fairly high approach speed, around 160nts which is quite scary/interesting for a large aircraft. But im wondering if the view point in VC needs to be moved back or forward, im getting a green wall sometimes when panning in VC, otherwise, one of yours and Davids greatest

The viewpoint is right on my rig, and it must have looked right on David's since that's how he sent it to me. But since I have to adjust the viewpoint a little bit on almost every plane I download and fly, I suspect that the viewpoint depends somewhat, somehow, on the individual's set-up.

If anyone doesn't know how to adjust it, it's in the aircraft.cfg file, the [views] section. The coordinates, in order, are: fore/aft, up/down fore/aft, and left/right. It can be adjusted in the sim with the key commands that move the eyepoint around in the VC, but it's better to get it just right in the cfg file and then not have to monkey around with it all the time anymore.

Ian, I suspect that you're seeing the back of the pilot's seat, so you'll want to move your viewpoint forward, and maybe then a bit up. Or maybe you're looking at the cockpit sidewall behind the seat???

Another great bird from the "Surprise Aircraft Factory". Many thanks for sharing.

NormB

Thanks Mick ,ill have a tinker

Eyepoint Adjustment

Oops, I meant: fore/aft, up/down, and left/right. I put fore/aft in there twice.

What I like to do is go into the VC and use the keyboard commands to look straight down, and set the fore/aft point so it's directly above the pilot's seat just a tiny bit forward of the seat back or headrest. Then I turn my virtual head to set the up/down coordinate so I get a good view through the side windows or side of the canopy. On a plane like this the left-right point will be dead center, 0.0/0.0, which it already is on the XB-48.

I don't understand why it's not the same for everyone on all systems, but I've had to adjust it in many, many planes that started out with positions that I felt quite sure couldn't be the way it looked to the modeler who made and released them.

Green wall

the green wall is actually the divider between the front and rear cockpit positions it is located just behind the pilots seat. it is higher than usual do to rear cockpit instrument panel which is considerably higher than a standard instrument panel because the position was called the flight engineer cockpit that is why it is visible when scanning around in the VC I attached a photo of the actual rear cockpit panel to this post

I hope I explained what green wall is.

David Wooster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-48 Flight Engineer Cockpit Panel 7-23-47.jpg  

Thank you so much!! This goes great with my Virtavia XB-46 and B-45! I am running it in FSX. (Just fine but the glass disappears around certain scenery. Something usually goes goofy between FS9 and FSX but IDC!) The one thing I did fix was the smoke entries. Mine were going vertical in FSX so I don't know the the X,Y,X coordinates are laid out differently in the CFG files between the two sims.

Here's what I did for FSX. (Nice dirty smoke effect BTW! I love it!)

[smokesystem]
    y z x
    smoke.0 = -7.11, -24.7, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke
    smoke.1 = -7.11, -20.4, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke
    smoke.2 = -7.11, -16.0, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke
    smoke.3 = -7.11, 16.0, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke
    smoke.4 = -7.11, 20.4, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke
    smoke.5 = -7.11, 24.7, 0.0, fx_XB-48_Exhaust_Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    ... smoke entries. Mine were going vertical in FSX so I don't know the the X,Y,X coordinates are laid out differently in the CFG files between the two sims...
    Someone posted the same thing about our B-47 in FSX, so apparently there is indeed a difference between the two sims on that matter.

Ive been playing with the viwpoints and ive got it just right this is something ive never really taken the time to understand before, and now i have a few other ac in my hanger i'd like to play with,

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Someone posted the same thing about our B-47 in FSX, so apparently there is indeed a difference between the two sims on that matter.
    Yeah, that was me too so some programmer at MS must have moved the cheese between FS9 and FSX. Gotta say, really nice job on it Mick. I always thought the engine pods were weird on the 48. I wonder what their reasoning was to connect the pods on the bottom? (And why does the outside of the pods have an extension to the bodywork aft of the engine outlet?) The bomb bay looks pretty big but I'm actually surprised it doesn't have the rotary bomb bay that Martin had adopted. I wonder if that would've happened if it reached production?
    Last edited by Josh Patterson; September 23rd, 2021 at 12:11.

Thanks guys , it almost looks like something from the Thunderbirds

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice work, for me we miss also a B-45 in Fs9.

SOH-CM-2023
    Yeah, that was me too so some programmer at MS must have moved the cheese between FS9 and FSX. Gotta say, really nice job on it Mick. I always thought the engine pods were weird on the 48. I wonder what their reasoning was to connect the pods on the bottom? (And why does the outside of the pods have an extension to the bodywork aft of the engine outlet?) The bomb bay looks pretty big but I'm actually surprised it doesn't have the rotary bomb bay that Martin had adopted. I wonder if that would've happened if it reached production?
    Yes, great job, Mick and your team. I would suspect that the design around the engine pods had something to do with Martin Aircraft's understanding of aerodynamic flows at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks guys , it almost looks like something from the Thunderbirds

Cheers,
    Huub
    Well, Gerry Anderson ( creator of Thunderbirds) did serve in RAF in 1947

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by vinci View Post
    Thanks. Me too! I've dropped a hint or two...

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Ive been playing with the viwpoints and ive got it just right this is something ive never really taken the time to understand before, and now i have a few other ac in my hanger i'd like to play with,
    Excellent! It's so much simpler and more pleasant to fly when the eyepoint is exactly right.

Hey Mick, is there a file that has the VC interior in it? I'd like to try painting on some rivets and details to spiff up the canopy ribbing a bit using the photo you had earlier in the post as a guide.

Hey Mick, is there a file that has the VC interior in it? I'd like to try painting on some rivets and details to spiff up the canopy ribbing a bit using the photo you had earlier in the post as a guide.
    Apparently not, if you mean texture files for the VC, though David might know something that I don't. The actual VC, meaning the cockpit structure, seats, instrument panel and so on, is part of the model. The only texture in the texture folders that color anything on the interior is one called "seat cushion" and I think that might actually be an external texture to color the seats when seen from the outside through the canopy. There aren't any textures in the panel folder except the panel backgrounds, so I believe that the interior as seen in VC view was colored in the model material by David when he made the VC. At least, that's all I can think of.

On some of our previous projects there was some painting for me to do inside the plane (our S-56 is one that comes to mind) but not on the XB-48.

Apparently not, if you mean texture files for the VC, though David might know something that I don't. The actual VC, meaning the cockpit structure, seats, instrument panel and so on, is part of the model. The only texture in the texture folders that color anything on the interior is one called "seat cushion" and I think that might actually be an external texture to color the seats when seen from the outside through the canopy. There aren't any textures in the panel folder except the panel backgrounds, so I believe that the interior as seen in VC view was colored in the model material by David when he made the VC. At least, that's all I can think of.

On some of our previous projects there was some painting for me to do inside the plane (our S-56 is one that comes to mind) but not on the XB-48.
    Okay, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vinci View Post
    OK, hint taken, the B-45 is up next.

The RB-45 participated in the Korean War and subsequent clandestine recce programs in Asia, but most RB-45 and all B-45 service was in USAFE. Alas, neither of their bases, RAF Sculthorpe and RAF Alconbury, exist in FS9.

Ian, by any chance are Sculthorpe and/or Alconbury on your to-do list?

Thanks for this good news !!

OK, hint taken, the B-45 is up next.

The RB-45 participated in the Korean War and subsequent clandestine recce programs in Asia, but most RB-45 and all B-45 service was in USAFE. Alas, neither of their bases, RAF Sculthorpe and RAF Alconbury, exist in FS9.

Ian, by any chance are Sculthorpe and/or Alconbury on your to-do list?
    I released Sculthorpe about a month ago, you even thanked me for it on my post
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...thorpe-for-FS9

good news on the 45

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I released Sculthorpe about a month ago, you even thanked me for it on my post
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...thorpe-for-FS9
    good news on the 45
    Aaaghh!! You're absolutely right, I did see it, downloaded it and installed it. It's on my list of bases to populate with static planes and AI in both FS1954 and FsJetAge.

When I looked for it in the sim I searched for it by name and oddly, it dosn't come up if I put Sculthorpe or RAF Sculthorpe in the Select Airport by name window, but when I put in the ICAO identifier (which I didn't think to do yesterday) it pops right up.

Between aircraft projects I've been populating my UK air bases in both sims, RAF, USAFE and SAC (almost all of which were made by you) and I lost track of what's been done and what remains to be done. At my age, sometimes I get confused rather easily.

It will be a while yet, since the project is just getting started and we're still at the research stage, but before long we'll have a B-45 and RB-45 to fly from there.

No problem Mick, i made a small mistake, the ICAO for Scul is EGS2, different from the code in the bgl title, I found that it was the same code as Brian Clark's RAF Upwood, which is a very nice scenery from the same era, worth downloading if you dont have it already, so i made up a new one without renaming the bgl

Members who have read this thread: 0